Making your own Window dormers

dwcole7

Hello,

I was wondering if there is anyone out there that could give me a good tutorial on making window dormers please! Maybe someone has suggestions, or a link? Anything. Thanks so much! Wendy

Hi again. I have since found out that the correct name is Gable Roof Dormer. Thank you for the picture, that is exactly what I want.

How about this is there anyone that wouldn't mind measuring one of theirs if they have any? Thanks again! Wendy

I made one from scratch on my coventry cottage. There are pictures in my gallery/album. My measurements were a bit off and the roof doesn't hang over the "window" but I fixed that when I shingled. And I think it looks pretty good!

It's made out of 6 different pieces, 2 tops, 2 sides, 1 front and a "bottom" that acts as a window sill. I will need to take a minute (or the night :giggle: ) to figure out how to explain it right so that you can understand what I did....

The dormer measurments are: 4" tall from where seam meets gable to the peak of dormer and it is 3" wide from "wall" to "wall." The roof would need to be a little deeper to protrude properly. Currently it is 2" and it could probably use another 1/4-1/2 inch. I will try to post you something a little more useful in the morning!!

Okay.

1. Decide how big you would like your dormer to be.

2. Cut out dormer assembly pieces. You will need one piece that is the shape of a "house" square shape on bottom with triangle on top. In that shape you will need to to cut out a "window."

3. Prop this piece in place on the gable to get the measurments and angles of remaining pieces.

4. Glue all those pieces together.

5. Cut out in roof should be same size as assembled dormer for a nug fit.

6. Glue dormer into hole.

7. cut out roof pieces and attach to dormer/gable of house.

Ta-da!

That should do it! When I have time, I'll draw up the plans to help out if you need it.

:popcorn: Matt for solving this mysterie :w00t:

Now even i understand what a dormer is :p .

i think it s a perfect idea to use photos instead of certain words, at least for lazy foreigners.

maybe in a picture dictionary :p