Shingle Dye

Roxxie

I am wondering how shingle dye works out for color. I am looking at the gray shingle dye on miniatures.com for a barn red house. I left the shingles natural last time on my farm house and I am a little nervous about this process. The other color is a reddish brown. Opinions and comments please! Thanks!

roxxie, try the cheap way out first....let steel wool sit overnight in vinegar, next day take out the steel wool, and brush on the vinegar.....simple, and you probably have the ingredients already. gave some wood a nice medium gray.....try it on a test piece first, it usually is done in ten or fifteen minutes. i tried it on cedar.

dave

• Like 1

Does one ever quit learning in the dh business?? I pre-stained my shingles in a MinWax stain, let them dry, then glued them onto the roof. Turned out very well, but it looks like I took the long way home! I'll have to try Dave's method next time -- certainly fits the budget!

Thanks for the link to the Just Miniature Scale store -- I hadn't seen that one yet.

I used the shingle dye before on cedar shingles. It turned out nicely but it was a very messy process. Be careful about getting this product on a painted dollhouse. It will not clean up off of paint. At least it didnt with my dollhouse and I literally had to sand off the paint and the stain to get it off. I dont use shingle dye anymore because of this but it looks nice. You wont be disappointed with it. I dont know how it will come out on birch veneer shingles though.

Ok, Roxxie. I decided to wait until I had done the aging, to show you this method of doing gray! It's a mix of hippo gray, a dash of black, cut half/half with water. Brush on, wipe off with soft cloth. Then the aging is done with rust and forest green inks and a stencil brush. As you can see, I did get stain on the eaves, cause I was too tired to mess with taping things off, but I had only but primer on them so far, so no loss! At least this is something you can do with what you have on hand and NO smell!

gallery_3692_3798_508088.jpg

What brand? Actually, some of this and some of that. I had half a bottle of hippo gray and was concerned it wouldn't be enough. But I had about 1/3 bottle of dark gray, some off brand. So I added it in, too. Ended up with a baby food jar full...want some? I probably didn't use a fourth of it!

Pam, if you have severe allergies/asthma, a little bit of a strong smell is too much. I'm having to strip wallpaper about an hour at a time, because of the odor of the fabric softener. Aside from that, I'd heard that this mixture is very acidic, not good in the long run. Maybe not, but I won't try it because of the smell.

Yes, it is! I love copper flashing and have it around the tower, in the valleys, under the starter row of shingles, etc. I ended up with about 5 miles of it that DH found for me, so every roof I build gets the deluxe treatment!

• Like 1

Pam, if you have severe allergies/asthma, a little bit of a strong smell is too much. I'm having to strip wallpaper about an hour at a time, because of the odor of the fabric softener. Aside from that, I'd heard that this mixture is very acidic, not good in the long run. Maybe not, but I won't try it because of the smell.

Wow, Sherry, less than a week ago you were talking about using vinegar to clean with and now it is to strong to use to age wood.

Wow, Sherry, less than a week ago you were talking about using vinegar to clean with and now it is to strong to use to age wood.

Wow! Are you keeping a list of everything I say? What I actually said was, and I quote: 'What Comet won't get, vinegar will.' Vinegar does clean anything, cut it with water and it's a great cleaner. DH cleans the coffee pot, the faucets, and the windows(outside) with it, since I can't. If you want to say something to me, take it to pm, I am not going to fight on the boards.

has anyone ever tried dyeing shingles with black tea? i've successfully dyed fabric in a strong bath of black tea. wondering if it will work on wood? i think i'm going to give it a test run.

I used the shingle dye before on cedar shingles. It turned out nicely but it was a very messy process. Be careful about getting this product on a painted dollhouse. It will not clean up off of paint. At least it didnt with my dollhouse and I literally had to sand off the paint and the stain to get it off. I dont use shingle dye anymore because of this but it looks nice. You wont be disappointed with it. I dont know how it will come out on birch veneer shingles though.

Couldn't you wrap the house in that new plastic wrap that sticks really well, then remove it after the shingles had dried?

I know Sherry wrapped her house up but I am such a messy person when I work. I think I will try Dave's method of vinegar and steel wool or Sherry's method of just painting with regular craft paint that is diluted.

I can't deal with fumes of any kind so I think those are the best solutions.

If you have issues with fumes you might want to rethink using the vinegar & steel wool... Isopropyl alcohol has an odor, too, so perhaps the watered paint might be your best bet.

I am wondering how shingle dye works out for color. I am looking at the gray shingle dye on miniatures.com for a barn red house. I left the shingles natural last time on my farm house and I am a little nervous about this process. The other color is a reddish brown. Opinions and comments please! Thanks!

Roxxie, the reddish-brown dye is great I used it on my Fairfield, take a peek in the gallery.