Is there an inexpensive way to have lap siding on a plywood dollhouse?

mygrommi

I have used cardstock cut into strips and glued with white glue, and gotten good results. If you watch Michael's will put packages of 50 sheets on sale half price every now and then. This is also the same paper I use for printies, you find in in the scrapbook section.

You can cut if however wide you want but I think 3/4" is pretty common. You could cut a handful, glue it up on piece of scrap, vary how much it laps and how wide it is until you find what you like. The price is right for experimenting.

here's a cheap, and very effective way to side a house. i'm sure you have a furniture upholstery shop in your area, stop in and tell them you need fiber tack strip. this is what i used on my scratch built. (in my gallery) it comes in 38 inch lengths, 1/2 inch wide. most upholstery shops carry it, and will sell you what you need. i bought enough to do my entire house for about five dollars. it's easy to work with, and glues quickly.

Cranky, is the fiber tack strip what they use to tack the fabric to the chair? I think I know what you are talking about. So, you just cut the lengths you need and glue them on individually. How how do you overlap? What kind of glue do you use? Is the fiber strip strong enough not to tear after it is applied and painted?

Did you apply the tack strip over the entire front of the house covering the window and door openings and then trim the tack strip out of the windows and door openings? Or did you apply it after you had put in your windows and door?

Please tell me how you did it?

Thanks

mygrommi

hi renea, yes, it's plenty strong. it's 1/2 wide, so i overlapped 1/8, for a 3/8 reveal. i just used carpenters wood glue, (i like titebond), it sticks really quickly, and stays in place, so you can work your way up a wall pretty fast. i would prime it, then give it a light once over with a sanding block, since it is fiber, or dense cardboard, it will fuzz a little after the primer, biut iy knocks off quick and easy, and wont fuzz again. i had my windows and doors in before i put the siding on, i think it makes a much cleaner looking job. nice thing is, you can cut it with a sharp pair of scissors, and it's easy to notch around trims..... any other questions, just let me know.

dave

renea, it is the yellow house in my gallery, and i painted it after i put the siding on....rethinking that idea though, lots of cutting in. i am doing a roombox right now, and i am painting the siding first. the yellow house was my first house, so i am kinda learning as i go, and i'll give painting first a try. i don't really see a downside to painting first.