Looking for the silver lining

Momof2Moos

We got hit with a real whammy yesterday, financially and emotionally. James and I don't make a whole ton of money (less than $1,500 a month) and we don't really mind that. I'm a stay-at-home-mom and I run all the errands and the household while raising the kids (and mini-ing!) and James works as a barber at his family owned barber shop. Money can be good, but we are only making it when people are getting haircuts and with the trouble of the economic times, haircuts have become a luxury for most people; especially men, when they can pick up a pair of clippers at WalMart and have DW do it. WE rent a small 2 bedroom for ourselves and our children and we pay a good amount of $750. Sometimes, this is a steep amount. Usually we have a hard time during the summer (when students have vacated our college town) and off/on during the holidays.

Yesterday, after much hounding of the rental company to get us our lease extension/renewal that I should have had TWO MONTHS AGO, I finally got it in the mail on July 1st, when rent is due. Imagine my horror when I read the renewal and they had raised our rent to $900, effective July 1st, 2010. They were suppose to issue this to us ages ago and we were apparently supposed to have it signed by June 10th or be out by June 30th. It seems that we are going to have to pack up our two small children (3 years and 3 months) and cart them off to God knows where. We have no money to operate on and practically no idea what to do. James is going to speak with our lawyer this morning, but only to try and buy us some time (probably won't get more than 30 days) so we can figure things out, pack, clean and HOPEFULLY find a place that is good for our family. This comes right before what was supposed to be an awesome July 4th weekend and before my summer trip down to my mom's house.... both of which have to be cancelled because we can't spend the money now.

Rawrg! Life stinks. So, for the kids' sake, I am trying desperately to stay positive and find the silver lining to this awful situation, but all I am getting is rain in the eyes and lightning all around me.

Probably won't be on here as much for a bit, I know I have been quite chatty, but I don't see how I will have the time. :wave:

ooooo Lyssa :) how awful...and a big worry on your shoulders...i know how it feels and i too survive on a low income $850us a month...times are hard but i do seem to survive...money doesnt bring happiness :lol: i'll be thinking of you and hope you find the silver lining :wave::(

Lyssa, sometimes the silver lining is well hidden in that cloud. It will reveal itself on down the line. Meanwhile, you take one day at a time and do what you have to do. If you stay positive, the outcome will be positive, too. :lol: :wave:

Somewhere on here a saying is posted that says: "Inch by inch, it's a cinch; but yard by yard is very hard." Deal with what you have to and we will all pray for you and your family to find better times ahead.

Lyssa...I'm so sorry for you and yours..I've been down that road a number of times in my life, and it's no fun. I wish I could give you a magic pill that would fix everything, but we both know there is no such thing. The only thing I do to weather the storms is to take one day at a time, not easy, I know. I try to find something in each day that makes me smile, and when the worry comes back into my mind, and I know I can't do anything at the moment to correct the situation, then I pull out the memory of the "smiley thing", and focus on that for a bit. It gives my mind a rest, and puts a little cheer and hope back into my life. If you feel like it, you could try this method. Maybe it would work for you, too. My thoughts and prayers are with you and yours.

Lyssa, I'm sorry to hear about this sudden unexpected challenge in your life. Perhaps you could talk to the leasing company, point out the very good points of your occupying the house (all the thing syou do to keep the house and prorperty looking good, rent is on time etc.) and ask that they reconsider their rent hike. I've been down the road of financial problems and can assure you while there are times when it seems very bleak there is an answer to all problems. Keep positive thoughts, take one day at a time, plan ahead and habdle the problems as they come along. I'm praying for a good outcome for you. Rita

A big thank you to all of you. We are working to stay positive. James says my silver lining is this may have just presented us with a perfect time to buy a home of our own. I'm really hoping things work out that way! ON another note, is there any advise on how to carefully move my Coventry when the time comes?!

Lyssa, I am so sorry for your difficult circumstances and the fear you are facing. I will be praying for you and your family. I can tell you one thing though: sometimes when things seem the worst, they turn into something much better than you can imagine. A number of years ago, I lost my home and all my belongings in an uninsured house fire and while I still wish very much that I hadn't lost my original dollhouse and all my other belongings, I also believe that I would have been in danger if I had stayed where I was (long story, but I am certain I am right). Plus, by having to find a new home, I ended up living in another town much closer to work. Just try to keep the faith. God always knows what is happening with us, and he never walks away from us. Right now I've been off work for about a month (unpaid) due to surgery and complications, and it has been a struggle, but I believe things will work out. Sending you hugs!

Sending you big hugs :hug: and prayers that everything will work out for you. I sure pray that the buying of a house works out for you. Keep positive, things happen for a reason.

Donna

Lyssa, your head must be in a turmoil right now worrying about finding a new place. I hope that your plan to buy works out for you, its something to really look forward to and get excited about. Fingers crossed for you and your family - the good times WILL come, life seems to be like that. Good luck

So, i just got a call fomr DH who sent the lawer into the rental company this morning. He (DH) got a call directly from the owner of the establishment issuing us an apology for the TYPO. :p Although, I appreciate an apology for scaring the buhjeezus out of me and mine, I don't really buy the excuse, nor do I appreciate the laziness or how they handle business. :p We should have had that renewal sheet weeks ago, typo or no.

So, we are requesting time to mull it over with the lawyer. Even if we were to sign the renewal with new rental amount, which is actually the same we normally pay and I'm not sure if I am comfortable with doing that, we need a couple days to shut down the other stuff we were doing. We reacted with ferocity because we DO have children and I think we should be compensated for that unwarrented stress. :p I feel like I'm in a tiny boat out in the middle of the storm, taking on water. I can hop onto brand new shiny ship coming by or I can wait for storm to clear up.... Not really sure what I want to do now. Stress is the pits. :no: :hug:

Even though we would be hard pressed to come up with the money to get out from under them, I'm not sure I WANT to resign with a company that could have made such a drastic mistake without notice AND can't even be bothered to get paperwork out on time. I am inclined to think that this would not have been the outcome if our lawyer had not gone in there with guns blazing. :p

Oh, Lyssa, this sort of thing just makes me so MAD!!! And the worst of it is that you're probably right - if you hadn't brought a lawyer into it, they would have gotten away with it. GRRRRR!!!

Just a thought, and maybe something you already know about: have you considered/investigated HUD Section 8 low-income housing in your area? There's a website called www.aptfinder.com that has pretty good listings for low-income (you qualify!) family housing, and you can search by area. There are two types of Section 8 housing - one that issues rent coupons that you can use to rent ANY apt. or house that meets the program's standards (up to code, etc.) - this program has a looooong waiting list, and then there are apt. complexes that have a Section 8 certificate that covers the entire property. Your rent is based on a percentage (usually 30%) of your family income, and in a lot of places utilities (heating, electric) are included.

I will definitely be praying for you and your family -- it's so awful to feel so powerless just because you don't have a lot of $$$ to fight back with!!

So sorry you are facing all this stress and frustration, Lyssa. By all means keep your lawyer front and center -- landlords are intimidated by them. My prayers are with you as you and your family work through this -- "what doesn't kill us makes us stronger" -- very true!

:hug:

Lyssa,

It might be worth the effort to shop around.

Renting is a downside to living in Gainesville. Most of the rental properties in town are owned by three companies that think they can take advantage of everyone. The rent at my last apartment doubled in less than 5 years and my family was growing so we moved out. When the owner of the property asked why, I told him he needed to stop snorting the coke and look around. This isn't Manhattan. Only lawyers and doctors make a good living in this town so doubling the rent isn't going to work here. The students leaving for the summer is murder on barber shops & restaraunts too. The good news is UF is reducing the student population by 4,000 students, so there is a glut in apartments here. This means landlords have to rent for less or get stuck with empty units. :p That's probably why they offered to keep your rent the same. That and a lawyer stopping by usually scares the $*#* out of sleezy landlords around here.

I have renewed my lease for a 3rd year for the same amount as when we moved in. They also arranged for us to move to a downstairs unit after my wife had our son last year, so I can't complain. Last time I drove by the old apartment the rent had dropped by almost $200 a month, so I guess the owner of GREMCO went into rehab! :hug:

Lyssa,

It might be worth the effort to shop around.

Renting is a downside to living in Gainesville. Most of the rental properties in town are owned by three companies that think they can take advantage of everyone. The rent at my last apartment doubled in less than 5 years and my family was growing so we moved out. When the owner of the property asked why, I told him he needed to stop snorting the coke and look around. This isn't Manhattan. Only lawyers and doctors make a good living in this town so doubling the rent isn't going to work here. The students leaving for the summer is murder on barber shops & restaraunts too. The good news is UF is reducing the student population by 4,000 students, so there is a glut in apartments here. This means landlords have to rent for less or get stuck with empty units. :p That's probably why they offered to keep your rent the same. That and a lawyer stopping by usually scares the $*#* out of sleezy landlords around here.

I have renewed my lease for a 3rd year for the same amount as when we moved in. They also arranged for us to move to a downstairs unit after my wife had our son last year, so I can't complain. Last time I drove by the old apartment the rent had dropped by almost $200 a month, so I guess the owner of GREMCO went into rehab! :hug:

Jeremy~

Thanks for the giggle. Definitely needed it! We did shop around and what we found for apartments and what we found was: 1) a general sacrifice of a yard which would mean rehoming all of the kids' yard toys. Total bummer. 2) 1st, last ,security which we did not have 3) price was right, but location would have gotten my kids stolen and traded for good of the illegal sorts 4) waaaaaaay to small and would have needed to get a storage unit for various items, making it not worth it 5) combination of one or more of these things.

Finding a house in Gainesville is the pits. We decided to sign on here for another year and whilst here, look for a place to buy next year. There are several homes that will take a 2% down and I think we are going to try to nab one of them next summer.

It sounds like you have a reasonable person to deal with. It's nice that they moved you down to a bottom level. Nothing is quite as tiring as carrying an infant with carrier and all of infants crap up and down a flight of stairs! What I WISH Gainesville had was something geared for families like the students have: those all inclusive apartments that have pools and gyms onsite. If I were a student in Gainesville, I wouldn't rent a house either. Those apartment complexes are awesome. Private bedroom, bathroom, ton of amenities and all for $400 a month. Oh yeah, and utilities, cable and high speed internet are included! :sigh: Totally wish they had that for families.

When we moved in the summer of 08 my daughter was only a few months old and we didn't mind carrying her up and down stairs, but our son was a preemie so we had two kids who weren't walking yet. That didn't work with a flight of stairs, so we had to move down stairs. Better yet, we're a lot closer to the laundry room and swimming pool. We also have a gym. water and basic cable are included, but we're across from the campus so traffic is impossible during football games and we've had to chase out UPD a few times. They don't have jurisdiction outside of campus, but they try to harass city residents anyway. My wife and I make decent income, but we don't have the credit to buy a house and the only ones in our income range would put us near the projects and bad schools. Too bad you didn't have time to hold out for the deals. every summer they make a lot of great offers to fill up units before the start of classes (we got a $100 and August rent-free just for renewing. We pay $770 a month. Probably because the complex was built in 1967. The only real appeal they have is their proximity to campus.

We've begun to look at moving out ouf our little house in the woods NW of Tallahassee and had always planned ultimately to move back to Gainesville (we each originally came from totally opposite ends of the state; DH is from Pensacola and I'm from West Palm Beach). Tallahassee apartment rents are ridiculous, so we figured it was at least as bad in G'ville; and the "retirement community" rents are astronomical! So if we do wind up there, it'll be in a condo! The pricing of units appears to be inversely proportional to the proximity to campus, which for us isn't an issue.

When we were students attending UF we went year-round.

Thanks to Alex we're here in Cedar Key another week, and I'm hoping we can get into G'ville one more day, to hit one of the Home Depots, and also the Harbor Freight. Any other sources of supplies (like a Woodcraft store)?

Holly,

Definitely stop by Magnum Wood if your looking for lumber or plastic for window panes. The last two times I went there they didn't have boards the size I was looking for, so they took the next size up back to their workshop in the next bay and cut them down to my specifications. Just one advantage to having the manufacturing facility attached to the store!

when are you going to stop by and say hi? You're more than welcome to come see the houses.

Holly:

Jeremy knows of a wood store here. I just, or my mother-in-law just, picked up plastic sheets for us from Central Florida Office Plus. They were mylar sheets for drafting and we needed them to replace windows. :hug: I think a big issue with rent and prices is just being in Alachua County. They are tax-happy here and it makes everything unreasonably expensive.

EDIT: See? Told ya. I didn't know you could get plastic there though!

Jeremy:

I decided after a year or so of living here that I just don't go anywhere on game day. I moved from ID where football was only a thing, not a city wide phenomenon. The Orange and Blue was overwhelming! Just FYI for you, there are several places tucked back in the NW area (Cherry Tree, Spring Tree, etc) that have houses at $60k and they are zoned for either Talbot or Norton Elmentary. Definately just have to dig around.

Oh, and Holly:

Any tips to remove yucky trim, carpet and flooring from my Highland? I was going to start rehabbing it after the holiday. :p

Jeremy, if I can't find your phone # I'll try to PM if I know which day it'll be. When I finish reading posts I'm off to find the Gainesvill phone book to look up Magnum Lumber.

Lyssa, try a blow dryer or heat gun, if you have one. I read somewhere that white vinegar will loosen wood glue. Also check thistothat.com, it lists adhesives for different purposes and might also have lists of what removes them.

Jeremy, if I can't find your phone # I'll try to PM if I know which day it'll be. When I finish reading posts I'm off to find the Gainesvill phone book to look up Magnum Lumber.

Lyssa, try a blow dryer or heat gun, if you have one. I read somewhere that white vinegar will loosen wood glue. Also check thistothat.com, it lists adhesives for different purposes and might also have lists of what removes them.

Holly,

Magnum Wood's #: 352-262-7876.