I need some thoughts sent out.

heidiiiii

OK sweetie, just hang in there, good thing the first doc noticed the lil' "bump" and I am so thankful that Fred got an appointment as quick as well. You know I will send lots and lots and lots of strenght and energy your way!!!

HUGS

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heidi, "quick, quick" doesn't give you much time to dwell on dire possibilities. This is a good thing -- but you know that! And who better to rule out cancer than an oncologist? Keeping both of you in our prayers ... :wave:

I had to laugh at part of this situation. And I think you will laugh also. After reading and calculating, Fred has to start the modified diet on Monday. Then on Tuesday he starts the liquid diet and around 5pm that evening he has to drink that stuff. So I went to the pharmacy yesterday to pick it up.

The pharmacist assistant brings out the jug. This girl knows us so she knew she could laugh at the situation. She brings out the jug and I said Dam*, that looks like a big ole bottle of Vinegar! The bottle is shaped like the gallon jugs of vinegar that I buy for canning.

She lost it. I said, "That poor guy has to drink all of that. I should not laugh because my day will come..but not today!!" We both laughed and she said I was bad. Fred says that this is his opportunity to lose 10 lbs. hehehe

I have his gaterade, jello has to be made (i found pineapple, peach, and lemon), veggie, chicken, and beef bouillon, drinks up the wazzoo. He will be all set.

Fred is not in the complete dark anymore. I showed him the information I found out about the gastro/oncologist on the Yale website. This guy wrote papers on the procedure he is going to do on Fred..Fred saw he went to Brown and that was enough for him to say good pick!

He wanted to know why I would suddenly get all teary eyed. He knew why but he wanted me to stop holding it in.

I am glad that I have someone to talk to about this. His Mom called and I told her. She was very helpful in making me feel better about it all.

It could be nothing but a fat deposit. That is what I am going to continue to tell myself.

Oh, Lord! Fred has to drink Go-Litely!? I had to prep with THAT for my hysterectomy! For the colonoscopy I had to drink a little bottle of magnesium citrate, which was so sweet it was nasty, but Go-Litely was like drinking soapy saltwater! Poor Fred, give him extra hugs from me, and keep one bathroom completely clear for him!

Heidi, I know what you are going through, I remember waiting to hear about Larry last year. But just keep telling yourself that this is just one more thing you will get through together, and refuse to think it's anything but something you will get through together. Sometimes, we wives have to take our turn at being the strong one. Big hugs to you, sweetie!

Yes Holly. He has to drink THAT! Big ole bottle of vinegar! LOL

It comes with a little lemon packet. I guess to make it taste a bit better. Blech! Today he got to choose what he wanted for dinner tonite. So it is a special treat. Do any of you watch or know who Nigella Lawson is?

We watch her and I have one of her cookbooks. He wants me to make her recipe for Chicken and sausage bake. I picked up some locally made kielbasa links at the farmers market yesterday. He is going now to pick up the whole chicken so I can get that sectioned off for baking.

I also have to get to making the Jello..LOL

Thank you all again for the support. The dizziness is still there and he sees the Neuro tomorrow morning for that. Then I have to reschedule his appointment with the ENT..and he NEEDS to do something first before he can go in for his blood work. He keeps putting off what he has to do and I will not go into it. hehehe

I just about lost it in a puddle of tears yesterday. I think all the stress finally got to me. Trying to keep a strong demeanor is hard sometimes. This could all be for nothing but it is scary just the same.

It's the not knowing that scares the bejabbers out of us! I'm so glad to hear that they offer flavoring for the Go-Lytely (NOT!); when I was doing my OB-Gyn clinicals in Nursing School I made a crack about the Go-Lytely to one of the staff nurses and she said it wasn't quite so awful if you put Kool-Ade in it; but getting down that last half-liter, ain't NOTHING going to help! You just think Fred's pitiful now...

He is trying to be positive. I know it is going to be mighty awful. I have been saving him up the newspapers from the weekend..so he will have something to read.

Heidi, the VA recommends and recommended that Doug put Chrystal Lite Lemonade in his big bottle and keep it in the refrigerator for 24 hours prior to his needing to drink it. It works well. And it doesn't taste bad.

Heidi, the VA recommends and recommended that Doug put Chrystal Lite Lemonade in his big bottle and keep it in the refrigerator for 24 hours prior to his needing to drink it. It works well. And it doesn't taste bad.

It comes with a big yellow lemon flavored packet Gina, so I think we are all set. I have to get that mixed up later on today. Thank you!

I have some interesting news. Remember Dr. Wet Noodle? Well, Fred had an appointment in the office where he practiced but with another Dr. So as we are standing there paying co-pay and making new appointment, I notice the business cards. No Dr Wet Noodle on any of the cards. So I asked...Where is Elijah? Oh he has gone to another practice.

Boing!! He is gone!! WooHoo! So if I need to go to the office, I will NOT be seeing him. Yahoo!

Fred has to have some tests done with the Neuro but they will have to wait until next week because he has stuff going on now. Tomorrow morning is his catscan. He needs to call the gastro cause the Dr office from Yale has not called to make an appointment yet.

So far, so good. I have not exploded yesterday or today.

I've been thinking about you dearheart. Keep holding onto positive thoughts and everything will be okay. I truly believe that Fred is going to be just fine. And I'm glad you told him how you were feeling too. Believe it or not, that probably helped him feel much better to be able to be strong for you. Men need to be able to do that you know. Even when they're sick (sometimes *especially* when they're sick), it makes them feel better to know that they're still able to be strong for their wife. You did the right thing to tell him you're scared and give him the chance to say, "There, there baby, it's all going to be okay". That was good for both of you.

Hugs and hugs and hugs,

Deb

Yale called. Sept 7th appointment for his procedure. 830am. Thank you Deb. I think all the whirlwind is keeping me from thinking!

Gotta go, have to make phone calls

Today is D day or Drink day.

He has his cat scan this morning and then we have hurricane prep to do. Yesterday I bought 8 gallon jugs of water, 3 bags of ice for the freezer downstairs, and D batteries for the flashlights and radio. The weather has 3 scenarios...Direct hit/major hurricane, glancing blow/high winds, or just like Danielle/rip currents. Let us all pray for number 3.

Yale wanted him to come in today but he could not. Then they wanted him to come in Friday but with the hurricane plus they wanted him to sign in at 730am..ah no (it is an hour drive away). So the endoscopic ultrasound will be on the 7th. I will have to drive him home all loop-di-lo. Natalie is going to come with us to help load him in car after, keep me company during, and she is just plain worried.

It is like the potential damaging winds of Earl are keeping my mind off of this. So everyone pray that Earl scoots farther out into the Ocean. Not just for me but for those of us in North Carolina, Virginia, Rhode Island, and Mass.

Oh. I need more coffee! LOL

We had a nice dinner of onion, mushroom and cheddar cheese omelets with toast and cantelope. Now he is on the force the fluids diet. The nurse told me to tell him to push the fluids all day...push push push. That is even before he drinks that jug. People all over have told him to not sip it..chug a lug. Just drink as fast and as much as you can in sittings. So you can get it over with as fast as possible.