Need Ideas

Roxxie

I want to put a woodstove in my cottage but not a potbelly stove. I would like to make a free standing more modern version like this one. Does anyone have any ideas on how to go about this? Thanks

post-4159-1278269902_thumb.jpg

This requires drinking some gourmet coffee, but look at the little boxes of them in the grocery store. They are about 3 inches high, rectangular with rounded corners, and plastic, so you can cut them to make a door. I'll be curious to see what you come up with, I want to make one for the cabin.

• Like 1

hmmm Michaels hutch into a woodstove? I made a piano by bashing a couple of them but I can't see one as a woodstove....yet! ( scratching my head)

I will look Sherry. Thought those boxes a little large but I am not sure since I buy my generic coffee by the big canister. I have been rattling around my stash but nothing is the right shape so far.

I was thinking of those metal spice cans but of course I don't haven any and everything comes in plastic now doesn't it?

Check the spice shelves at a large grocery store, I think McCormick still does small metal containers of spices, especially whole spice like cloves, peppercorns and numeg, and Coleman's dry mustard and some brands of Hungarian paprika. Men's old wristwatch crystals & surrounds set into the doors? Sonic has big red straws with a flexible section that work really, really well for stove pipes.

I'd be willing to sacrifice and drink a Rt 44 cherry diet coke for you! Seriously, the gourmet coffee boxes are not much bigger than the old spice tins. They would sure be easier to work with, I'd think. But maybe not. I haven't gotten that far with planning, for the cabin furnishings.

I will check the spices but most are plastic bottles unfortunately. I had a nice tea box but too big for sure.

Sitting here listening to the 4th of July at the capital when I should be over there! Yeah right...drive 4 hours to get into the crowd? ha ha

How would I cut a hole for the door in a metal spice box? Another perplexing problem!

The boxes I've seen have plastic tops, so you could use tin snips to cut out a door opening. Another thought would be to cut down and flatten soda cans or tin food cans to make your stove.

There's a book on making Victorian furniture (unfortunately I can't find the name or author at the moment) which might give you some ideas. It uses a lot of unconventional materials like bubble packs, jewelry making items and so forth to make some great looking fakes. Some plastic packaging and embossed tins, junk jewelry or findings, or small ornate jewelry boxes may provide some of the more ornate elements. You might look for tins and jewelry boxes at the thrift store for more choices (it can be rather hit and miss). Some mass produced cabriole legs for the bottem. Paint the whole thing a matte black.

• Like 1

Patricia King is the queen of recycling materials into Victorian furniture & accessories. Her How to Make Dolls' House Furniture and How to Make Victorian Dolls' House Furniture books have lots of wonderful ideas, and I have also used her little book for making stoves & fireplaces to make dh stoves: http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/i...p;showentry=382

• Like 1

I seached Walmart spice section today but most all of the spices are in the round tin boxes now. Black pepper and Old Bay were the only ones still in metal and they were too large. I will try the smaller stores another day or make a pot belly stove instead. I don' t have room for a fireplace and wanted something different.

I spent an hour hunting for a container of some sort today in the supermarket but it seems the nice teas, coffee and spice boxes have all gone to plastic or paper. :cry: I might stop into the Chinese grocery and see if they have any possibilities...I am not giving up just yet.

If I were going to make a wood stove I would first find a picture of what I want. I found one that looked to me like your picture and had dimensions with it.

gallery_1012_1010_11260.jpg

The stove is for the most part just a box, so I got a piece cardboard and cut out a box. I cut out the front opening and I taped it all up, glued on a front door and added some legs.

gallery_1012_1010_39.jpg

Now I will spend a day looking at it and picking it apart. I already think that it is to deep and not tall enough. The front opening might be to wide and I'd like the legs to angle out.

So far I've invested about 20 minutes of time a little tape and some cardboard and I think it looks pretty good. Tomorrow I will try it again with the changes I want and see how it looks. When I get it right I will cut it out of wood, glue it up and paint it. The only tools I will use are a ruler, a utility knife and some sandpaper.

The little guy is 5 1/2" tall.

Roxie, look at that! If you coat it with gesso and paint it black, you have the stove! Once you get your plastic inserts cut, tracded around them onto waxed paper and coat pieces of black embroidery floss with a clear-drying glue to make the fancy door trim, and when it's dry, glue it to the inserts and install them. Before you glue up your stove you can prime/ paint the inside grout color and use the sandpaper to make the firebricks/ cinderblocks to line the inside.

I'll still look-see if I have any small spice boxees when I get home to send you.

Wow that looks fantastic. Actually I was playing around with pieces of wood trying to accomplish the same thing but the shape wasn't coming out right. It was too square. I was also hunting around for a piece of molded plastic from a package of something for the front window. I have this coming together in my head, just have to work it out. Thanks for your suggestions and help!

I think I have some leg parts left over from my puzzle house furniture I can cut up...the aim is to use found or recycle materials, make my own from whatever. I looked in the Dollar Tree tonight but no boxes that would work. I studied Stan's woodstove today and it is just a box. His is an insert so I just need to figure out how to put legs on. Of course you need brass around the window and the hinges...I would just glue those buggers on I learned already about those! :cry: