Hello from Michigan!

Hi All! I'm Jenni from Michigan. Mother of 3 wonderful kids. :cry: My grandparents started me in miniatures some 25+ years ago. Recently I renovated my first house for my daughter. So yes I have started a new generation on minis. :D. My mom recently found a Beacon Hill Kit at an estate sale for me, so that will be my next project. Right now, my daughter and I are working on a small cottage together. I figure soon she won't want to spend time with her mom, working on minis, so I will cherish the time we spend together. Hmmmm. Can't think of much else. Hope to meet ya on the boards!

Hi Jennie! Welcome - I'm also from the Detroit area (Grosse Pointe Park). This is a great site, the people here are incredibly talented and generous with their advice. When you have 5 posts, you can start a gallery and I can't wait to see your pictures of your Beacon Hill progress! (That is a house that I drool over . . .)

Kirsten

Welcome to the little family, Jenni! Are you an Ufer or a Troll? We're presently staying at one of our favorite campgrounds and in the Winter it's a major destination for Michigan Snowbirds!

Which cottage are you working on for your daughter? It's certainly OK to share pictures of a renovation, too.

Thanks for the warm greetings! I feel so welcome! :p

Are you an Ufer or a Troll?

I'm not familiar with these terms. So I'm not sure. :D

We are working on a cottage by Houseworks

(I know it's not a GL, but it was her idea, and on sale. Shhhhhhhh) :cry:

Hello, Jenni! :cry: Welcome to the community. You are very lucky - miniaturists seem to run in your family! I think the Beacon Hill is my favourite

Greenleaf dollhouse ... but then, they're all wonderful! :D

The Michigan snowbirds here refer to the folks from the UP as "Ufers" and the ones from the LP as "trolls" since they come from below The Bridge...

Ahhhhhh, okay, then I guess I would be a troll (someone from the UP obviously came up with this!) :cry:

I have been righteously corrected by another resident of the Lower Peninsula that the correct term for residents of the UP is "Yoopers" (I have become hard of hearing my old age). Whilst I'm sure the term "Troll" sounds somewhat less than glowing, it's the one the LP residents use when they're here, in the rough & tumble comeraderie that characterizes the temporary home of a campground, and meant in good fun. As far as that goes, nearly the entire rest of the US lives "below the bridge" and are, therefore, also Trolls, and I, for one,have been known to feast on an occasinal goat (barbecued OR curried).

WELCOME to the Greenleaf mini-family, Jennie – so glad you joined us! We love to share news, pictures, and ideas on all things miniature! :)

How wise of you to redeem the time with your daughter while you can! Memories and bonds will be formed that will last a lifetime. :D

• 1 month later...