A prayer request, for a friend

KathieB

Many of you have "met" my dear friend and mini-buddy Norma Jeane (aka NJ). I was up early this morning to pack and do all of the stuff on the leaving-town-for-a-week list of things to do but was stopped dead in my tracks by an email from her saying that last night she found a lump under her arm big enough to see with the naked eye, "the same kind that killed my mother."

She has an appointment with the GP at 11 am today.

She has an appointment with a surgical oncologist at a clinic in Columbia tomorrow. She has copies of her mammogram from last Nov (clear) and biopsy report (benign) from a tiny breast lump, also tested last Nov.

I feel awful leaving her but will keep in touch by phone while we're gone. I have my fingers crossed that it is another benign cyst. What these things "look like" isn't a good diagnostic tool, but I fully understand her concern.

So do I! The lumps I've found (and the ones the radiologist found along with the first one) were all benign fatty tissue lumps, but it doesn't matter, even without a family history it could be something nasty, and NJ is smart to get herself to the oncologist right away. She (and you) are in my prayers.

Kathie my thoughts are with both you and NJ right now. These things can be so scary. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's just a cyst. Those things can pop up really sudden and really big. Keep us posted and give yourself a big hug too.

Deb

Hello from sunny California!

Thanks for all of your prayers and good wishes.

I talked to NJ this morning. She underwent a battery of tests and scans. The oncologist is fairly certain it is a fatty tumor. There was great relief in her voice. She is scheduled for surgery to remove it on July 26. I'll be home and able to go with her.

BTW, the surgery could have been scheduled for July 15 -- but that's her birthday! She opted to wait until the surgeon gets back from a week's vacation.

Thanks to all for joining in the collective sigh of relief. :)

Oh, great news indeed! Kathy, what part of CA are you in?

We're in the LA area -- Thousand Oaks, Long Beach, Anaheim/Fullerton, with side trips to Carlsbad and Long Beach.

Over the weekend we saw the mini White House in TO and had dinner at Paradise Cove in Malibu (where the Rockford Files was filmed), spent last evening with author Odie Hawkins, the afternoon today with artist John Outterbridge, going to the Long Beach Aquarium tomorrow; Wed it's the mummy exhibit at the California Science Center, the Imax, and the African American Museum (where there is a special exhibit by John Scott, one of Lloyd's former students). On Friday we're off to Santa Barbara to UCSB art dept to visit other former colleagues of Lloyd's. On Saturday we fly home.

In between all that, we're visiting with relatives who live here and two who are visiting from the Czech Republic.

Planning 3 or 4 days of sleep when we get home. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Holly, took very few pictures. Did get some of the mini White House but haven't had time to process and post them.

Am bumping this to the top again to let you know that tomorrow is surgery day. Her husband I are going with her. Should be outpatient so she'll come home late in the day. She won't ride if Charles is driving*, so I'm along to chauffeur on the way home as well as lend moral support. Positive thoughts sent her way tomorrow would be much appreciated.

*With good reason. Too long to go into here.