Curiosity about 1/2" scale

CatColorado

I received in the mail today, several of the Acme magnets to use in my Chantilly ! They are so darned cute! I wish they had a fridge or a sink to go with the cute stove! Cute Cute Cute!

They did make a kitchen sink, but it was a bit strange. The top of it looked normal, but the cabinet underneath slanted towards the back, making the sides triangular. I think that I have one somewhere. I was going to use it in the Fairfield and just build the bottom straight up and down. Another unfinished project...

Kat, if you are using the drawer with the 24"(48 feet) as the vertical, you could easily do four stories. 1/2" = 1 foot. Even allowing for the thickness of the floors, you could have at least 11 foot ceilings.

You didn't say what you were going to use for dividers. So I am guessing at the height.

With 14" (28 feet across), you could have two small rooms or one large room on each level. You also didn't say if you were going to do staircases on each floor. That would cut into the room space.

Of course, all of your rooms would be 6"(12 feet) deep. Maybe you could do a doorway at the back of each room, indicating that there is a staircase behind the rooms.

This sounds like an interesting project. I can't wait to see you start.

Oh,I am so confused!lol I have been doing 12 to 1 converting for so long that it's going to take me awhile to acclimate my brain to thinking about half scale conversions! I'm one who is very fond of words,but anything related to numbers gives me a huge headache!lol But,wow,4 stories? (Yes,I have the drawer turned so that the longer side will be it's height-24"/48'.) I would have a real blast with that,because I could never fit a comparable (4 story)12 scale build in my real home. I plan to try making some 24 scale items (A bed,couch,etc.) to get myself used to it. I may get some balsa wood for the floors/dividers or maybe I could use foamcore? I'm honestly not crazy for staircases,so I won't bother with them. If I could do that many levels(4),maybe I could even do several small 2 room apartments....! Thanx,Casey and Holly.:)

Kat, the foam core would be better and cost less than balsa. If you are worried about strength, you could use two layers of foam core.

What you can do to hold up the floors is measure and put 1/24 scale crown molding at the height that you want the ceilings. That will offer support along the edges of all three sides. If you put a wall in the middle of some of the floors, that will also add support.

Good luck! This is going to be a fun project!

• Like 1

False doors in 1:24 are really easy (I would use basswood rather than balsa, though) and on the back walls would give the illusion of more depth and the stairs could be there, behind the doors.

• Like 1

Roxy, which stove did you get - the modern one or one of the old fashioned ones? I have this one and am planning to one day use it with a retro-looking fridge I got from the miniature shop (I think it's a German import meant for G scale... I'll snap a picture if I can find it!) and a Marx kitchen sink.

Also there was a neat retro fridge on eBay the other day: http://www.ebay.com/itm/dollhouse-miniature-1-24-scale-refrigerator-NIP-/181433401912

And Cassidy Creations once had a monitor-top refrigerator, but I don't see it on the Scale Designs website right now so maybe it's discontinued.

Anyway, the Marx stuff is great if you're doing an older kitchen (which would look great in the Chantilly!) If you are doing modern, though, the side by side Acme fridge is awesome. I've used that one my Fairfield and also painted one "stainless" for the Queen Anne rowhouse.

gallery_7_4121_81938.jpg

rowhouse582.jpg

I agree with Casey on the Acme sink, it's weird. I have one also that I might use just for the sink part, and make my own cabinet. But it would work just as well to make your own sink out of a Smuckers jelly packet or something like that.

• Like 1

I need Kathie to teach me how to use a digital camera, and then I need to get one with a macro lens so I can share pictures of the stuff I made for the Fairfields. I made the kitchen sink from a jelly packet that looks like this 1:12 one in my stash:

31mag%2Byh0vL.jpg

• Like 1

Holly - I just bought this digital camera last week -- takes beautiful pictures and the macro is automatic so you don't have to fiddle with the menu, it turns itself on when you get close enough to the subject. Just saying. :)

(Only downside is that it doesn't come with a memory card or a USB cord, you have to buy those separately.)

Emily, I have two different ACME stoves, the retro and the 50s styles. I was just curious, have you removed the magnets from the back of yours, or do you just leave them and hide that it sticks out a little from the wall?

Memory card? USB card?

The memory card is what your pictures are stored on inside the camera. The USB cord is needed to connect the camera to the computer, so you can transfer the pictures off the memory card and on to the computer.

Emily, I have two different ACME stoves, the retro and the 50s styles. I was just curious, have you removed the magnets from the back of yours, or do you just leave them and hide that it sticks out a little from the wall?

I've left the magnets on mine. In the Fairfield there's a piece of trim up against the stove and I made it a little bigger than necessary to hide the magnet. Both fridges are in a corner with cabinets beside them so you can't tell there's a magnet there (the fridge is much shallower than the cabinets, so leaving the magnet on has the added bonus of bumping it out from the wall a bit).

Actually, for the rowhouse fridge, the cabinet I built to go around it accommodates the magnet. The basswood across the back is the same depth as the magnet, so the whole thing sits flush against the wall.

rowhouse417.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a question for you guys, when you work in that scale do you divide by 24 so you get the correct scale? I know that when you work in 1/12 scale you divide by 12 right? but I get confused by half scale (ps I got a little house from the thrift store that's as ugly as sin and I want to halloweenie it up so that's why Im picking your brains)

I like to think of scales as

1:24 (1/2 inch = 1 foot) [A 5-foot-long table in real life would be 2-1/2 inches long in 1:24 scale]

1:12 (1 inch = 1 foot) [A 5-foot-long table in real life would be 5 inches long in 1:12 scale]

I think better in familiar parts of an inch rather than twelfths or twenty-fourths of something.

I think of the size for 1/12th scale and divide by two....(and I didn't even take the new math! !LOL!) I also measure with an answer like "It's 23 1/2 plus three little lines..." Guess who gets to hold the dumb end of the measuring tape..... :D

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

I bought one of the little houses from Michaels during Christmas. I think it's half scale. The half scale furniture seems to big and the quarter scale seems to little. Help

The puzzle houses aren't really to a regular scale, are they?  The 1:24 furniture sets I got from HBS were actually too small for the Fairfield, and are closer to 1:32; you might try a set of that.

I have two items for my current 1:24 scale project that don't match each other in proportion, imo.

It seems that sometimes different manufacturers use different measurements for their products.

See the discrepancy below.

You just have to be careful and measure things out according to your preference.
Always remember it's the illusion we go for, not perfection since real life isn't ever perfect.

Perfect would look unnatural.

• Like 2