Curiosity about 1/2" scale

CatColorado

So...I did end up buying and making one of the 1:24 DIY "Cute Room" kits from Ebay that we discussed a while ago. It will be a Christmas gift to my niece. It has LED lighting and is also a music box. BELIEVE THEM when they say DIY. You make EVERYTHING down to the tiniest piece. It was a really fun project but took a LONG time due to all of the work from tiny details. That included making the upholstered chairs from fabric, padding and blocks of wood, doing all the lighting wiring and making lampshades, making tiny to-go paper cups, constructing the patio umbrella, and the list goes on. So if you are interested in doing one, just keep that in mind. Here are a few pictures...more in my Gallery.

IMG_5811.JPG

IMG_5812.JPG

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

No, they stopped short at making one create things like macarons out of polymer clay! One caveat to this project: Because there are no slots or joints in the construction, it is very delicate even when constructed with wood glue. I shipped it with professional packaging to my niece and there were some structural damages that I had to repair once it got there.

On a separate note, I'm back to working on kits for my large 1:24 Victorian "Lisa". This time, I tried an alphastamps kit for a Grandfather Clock: http://www.alphastamps.com/p23037/Grandfather_Clock_1:24/product_info.html?osCsid=3660fc86686a728ba600b1cd4b012be6 It is cardboard construction so I was worried about painting/moisture but I managed to get it together and am happy with it. I used some parquet flooring strips to cover it in real wood. Here it is by itself and in its new home:

I am also participating in the Yahoo Half Scale group swap this year. The theme is "filling the shelves"...which I hope to do more of on this project!

IMG_5956.jpgIMG_5958.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, biomom said:

I am also participating in the Yahoo Half Scale group swap this year. The theme is "filling the shelves"...which I hope to do more of on this project!

Ooh, me too, me too!  I am really looking forward to what we get this year.

By the way, your grandfather clock looks really good.  Alpha Stamps has some great kits, and the parquet strips were a good idea.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Janet, Love your tea room. I have a few of those kits and enjoy them. 

Must let you know what I did this week-end, went to a miniature show in San Deigo.

They had a company that does 3D printing and I had myself made into a 1/2" scale doll.

Guess I am "losing" it....lol.

Gail  :bear:

• Like 4

On 2/5/2018, 2:32:41, minigrandma10 said:

They had a company that does 3D printing and I had myself made into a 1/2" scale doll.

Guess I am "losing" it....lol.

Losing it? Naw ... I'd love to have a mini me in a hard hat to supervise local construction. :D 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 07/11/2017, 08:40:09, biomom said:

So...I did end up buying and making one of the 1:24 DIY "Cute Room" kits from Ebay that we discussed a while ago. It will be a Christmas gift to my niece. It has LED lighting and is also a music box. BELIEVE THEM when they say DIY. You make EVERYTHING down to the tiniest piece. It was a really fun project but took a LONG time due to all of the work from tiny details. That included making the upholstered chairs from fabric, padding and blocks of wood, doing all the lighting wiring and making lampshades, making tiny to-go paper cups, constructing the patio umbrella, and the list goes on. So if you are interested in doing one, just keep that in mind. Here are a few pictures...more in my Gallery.

Congratulations on finishing the projects. You certainly take more time with their kits than me. I've made a few (Bear Story teddy bear's shop, a cafe which seems to be made of mostly the lower level of your cafe but less complex, a few living rooms and even a 2-storey house.). I found making all the tiny tiny bits really frustrating, and would often skip the smallest pieces of paper as well as the soldering of the wires and just installed some battery operated cheap fairy lights. I'm glad someone else is enjoying these too. I do like the fact that they often come with a music box that you can install. 

Edited by sara_lee

• 3 weeks later...

Alright, quick question -- has anyone else come across Pete Acquisto silver tea sets and/or candelabrums in 1:24 scale? I actually found a complete tea set and a three arm candelabrum at the estate sale I went to, all marked and in their original boxes. The candelabrum still has it's original card as well. My question being, since Acquisto doesn't seem to do too much in the smaller scales -- how would one figure out the pricing? B/c admittedly, at the moment I'm sincerely overjoyed/bewildered about this lovely find!  

38 minutes ago, minikelli said:

Alright, quick question -- has anyone else come across Pete Acquisto silver tea sets and/or candelabrums in 1:24 scale? I actually found a complete tea set and a three arm candelabrum at the estate sale I went to, all marked and in their original boxes. The candelabrum still has it's original card as well. My question being, since Acquisto doesn't seem to do too much in the smaller scales -- how would one figure out the pricing? B/c admittedly, at the moment I'm sincerely overjoyed/bewildered about this lovely find!  

I'm sure you checked his site and eBay already. I've seen his things at the shows, and I don't even stop and look because it is too rich for my blood. I hope you get a great price for it, and congratulations on such a nice score!

• Like 1

Thanks Carrie! I've looked on his site as well as Ebay and some other sites -- just the matter I'm not coming across anything he's really done in this scale other than a butter dish. So I'm presuming that these had to be commissioned by the woman that owned the house, as she had a truly astounding collection. I just don't want to shoot myself in the foot when it comes to listing these pieces -- and while I never thought I'd even own a piece by several of these artisans... I also know that 1:12 is still my true love in scale. So while I will work to finish off several of these 1:24 scale houses and kits, I also know these pieces are not meant to stay here with me.

• 11 months later...

I just posted pictures of some lovely 1:24 toy and plant additions to my Victorian Townhouse. I also posted a new album with a 1:24 Craftsman roombox that I have been working on like FOREVER. Most of the toy and plant additions are from this year's half scale swap. Such talented people!

Here are some teasers (first is from the Craftsman roombox, second is from the Victorian Townhouse):

Anyone else got any new 1:24 projects to share?

craftsman hearth.jpg

toy bedroom 2019.jpg

• Like 1

Nice! I'm drooling over your Craftsman roombox, it's so pretty.

For anyone not in the know, the swap was done by the Half Scale Minis group on Groups.io, and there are four leftover swap boxes being auctioned off. Details are here: https://tzminis.com/1%2F2-scale-2019-swap

I also participated in this swap but can't use the items yet because my workshop is undergoing renovations and everything's packed up. I'll be using a lot of the toys in my Victorianna but it's temporarily on the dining room table and I don't want to lose anything!

As for half scale projects, I still haven't finished my Victorianna bash (it's *so* close -- just the roof and foundation bricks left to do) but I tend to lose steam at the end of a project, so it'll probably sit around neglected for another five years. (Gasp, don't say that!) But I have started on a new half scale house, the Seaside Villa. The shell was already assembled when I bought it so I'm jumping right in to windows and siding.

seaside06.jpg

There are some more pics and info about the house on my blog: http://www.emilymorganti.com/blog/?p=14263

• Like 2

14 hours ago, havanaholly said:

I like the Seaside Villa in 1:24.  Did it come with that stained glass window?

No, I bought the windows and doors separately. I'm actually going to put the stained glass door on the bottom floor, since the door I bought for the first floor was out of scale, and then I cobbled together a new door for the second floor out of pieces of one I'd deconstructed for another project.

seaside26.jpg