Curiosity about 1/2" scale

666 posts in this topic

@fov I have the 1:24 Sea Side Villa kit, still in the box.  I purchased it when visiting Norm's store in Colorado a few years back.  They had the 1:12 on display and it was so beautiful, but so big.  So I bought the 1:24 instead.  When I build it, it will be my first half scale dollhouse.  I will enjoy watching you complete yours.  Maybe you'll inspire me to start mine.

I'm super excited to see how the Sea Side Villa evolves. I had my eye on that a long time ago when Norm's site was still active.

I talked to David Nielsen, Norm's son, and he told me that only a handful of 1/2" scale Seaside Villas were made. I know of five or six people who have them (mostly from here, and also someone from the Half Scale Minis group reached out to me) -- it would be funny if those were all them in existence! I've gathered some more info about the history of the Visalian from a miniature shop owner who did research on it and will post that on a future blog.

Congratulations on scoring such a great house.

I've been working on some functional Victorian lamps for my 1:24 LDD Lisa. The kits were 3D printed from Shellie N., using LED lighting. I used a combination of fabric, lace, and paint to make them frilly like my Google Images Victorian inspirations. Now I have to build some furniture/trunks to hide the battery and wiring for each one....

They look a bit better in person than the photos!

lamps off.jpg

Oh, wow!  These are great!  (And I totally understand what you mean when you say they look better in person.  Sometimes the photos are just too close up!  With a little bit of distance, the magic happens.  :))  I really like the one with the toile shade!  Is Shellie N. MiniEtchers?  I saw 1:48 lamps on her site, but not 1:24.

Yes - Shellie from MiniEtchers. I think if you email her she can put 1:24 together. If I remember correctly, I got them in an online mini show that she was doing. It is also possible to order just the 3D printed lamp and shade if you have LED lights. I have a bunch of LED supplies from Evan Designs that I forgot I had already. I used them for ambient lighting on the Lisa since is gets pretty dark inside.

Anyone else have any cool half scale projects going on?

Handmade lights installed! 1:24 lights are hard to come by and with limited selection so I highly recommend trying this out. It was also super economical to use 3D printed lamp bases and LED lights. There are also now super small batteries so you can hide them easier (I challenge you to find where I hid mine!). Here are a couple of installations - see my 1:24 Victorian Townhouse gallery for more.

dining light close.jpg

study light.jpg

3 people like this

36 minutes ago, biomom said:

I challenge you to find where I hid mine!

Um, I'm guessing in the desk and in the window seat, but you've got me in the dining room, because I have that end table, and I don't think it's big enough to hide a battery.  In the wainscoting someplace?

I’m also guessing in the desk or right behind it. For the little table it’s a little dark for me to figure it out. Could be under the table top. Or under the floor with the push button on the floor or table. 

• For the office, it is attached under the desk (the desk itself was sealed up long ago).
  • For the dining room, there is a small rectangle of wood glued behind the little Eastlake side table...that is where the battery is.
  • For the spare room (in my gallery), it is in the hutch.
  • For the small bedroom (in my gallery), it is behind the vanity.

I needed to make the tiny switch and battery holder accessible but hidden. I have the rest of the house wired with ambient LED lighting that is hardwired through the house as I built it. But these lights were a later addition after the house was complete.

1 person likes this

This is so clever! I have been wanting to add some kind of lighting to my Victorianna because the rooms are deep and dark, but couldn't figure out how to do it. This just might work.

I have been waiting to post a blog about this until I get more trim painted, but here's my Seaside Villa with its new paint color. Originally I painted it a peachy orange color that looked great on another of my houses but just didn't work for this one. The new paint is very light gray (that turned out looking light blue). I'm using the white windows from Majestic Mansions and didn't want to repaint them, so I had to find a color that looked good with bright white trim.

seaside-newpaint1.jpg

seaside-newpaint2.jpg

1 person likes this

31 minutes ago, fov said:

The new paint is very light gray (that turned out looking light blue).

I love the color, some grays can be gloomy, but this with the white trim is cheery and bright. And, very beachy. You can add some dark grey accents as a third color too.

5 hours ago, Mid-life madness said:

...You can add some dark grey accents as a third color too.

Or a peachy tone.  Your color looked light gray on my monitor until the photo with the door; the bright white does give a bluish cast to the gray on my monitor; VERY beach-like.

1 person likes this

I thought I'd share a person I have used for 3D printed 1/12 scale items . I noticed she also does 1/24th . I also know she will do the items that are painted as blanks so you can paint them as you want . Just email and ask . Have fun

https://www.mollysueminiatures.com/page16.html

2 people like this