Curiosity about 1/2" scale

CatColorado

Thanks for posting that link. She's done a lot of work since the last time I looked at the blog! It's an amazing bash... you can hardly tell it started out as a Fairfield.

I just recieved an email from Meghan at Dorsett Publications. They sold the Small Scale Cabinetmaker. As well as the half scale brochure already on their site, they will be issuing a new one in half scale in the near future, I asked if she would email me when it comes out.

is everyone busy and happy with projects?

I'm busy & happy with my Fairfield. I put it away about 8 months ago due to frustration and suddenly a few weeks ago it started SCREAMING at me every time I passed by, BEGGING to be completed. Thanks to one of you wonderful Forum people I targeted my problem - I was trying to decorate and build at the same time and thus complicating things way too much. I tend to do that in other facets of my life as well. :happydance: So now I'm focusing on building and am making real progress!! This is a HAPPY builder writing here!

The Fairfield is really on many of our minds right now. I am anxious to start mine, but i am driven to finish what i am working on and have been working on for 3 or more years now.

It is a tiny house, half scale, but not much floor space. I had to clean it and take it completely apart. I tried to use as many original pieces from it as i could----BUt everytime i try to fit an old part it is warped or crooked. I made a new roof and 2nd floor and a back for the house. Cut in 3 new windows and altered the 3 it came with. i"m putting real stones on the chimney . After working sooo long on this i want to see it done. I'm not usually so dedicated! LOL

By the way, Kathryn, do you have any pics of your Fairfield yet?

Dot

i've been painting and fiddling with some 1/24th furniture...ready to go in my new house :D ....its under construction in America at the moment!!! ;) cant wait to get it :happydance: soooooo exciting!!! ;)

I feel your pain, The 1:24 escritoire kit I put together was giving me fits with the desk's dropfront not fitting; the holes for pin-hinging it were drilled into the wrong places so it was mounting sideways. That was an easy piece to duplicate with scrap basswood and position the holes CORRECTLY on the new dropfront. Of course I lost the wee bit of brass pin that was its knob, trying to transfer it, so the new piece has a cut-off dressmaker's pin knob, instead.

Kathryn, I just placed my first order with Green Gables, for ceiling lights & wallpaper for my Fairfield. Thanks for the source. Also ordered lumber from Northeastern Scale Lumber, which is a GREAT source for wood mouldings. This is all going so well I can't believe it! I think I'll put up some pictures tomorrow.

Okay. I just received my two 1/24th scale afghans from Mary (woodland_miniatures) and they are stunning, magical, superlatively superlative, and flat out amazing. These are the kind of minis that make you go "Wow." They are easily in the running as one of my top ten miniature treasures.

Don't let her modesty fool ya, y'all! I just finished a bunch of 1:24 afghans for the fairfield beds, and they really are a lot of work! (and what's this about trained spiders? My spiders' work leaves a LOT to be desired!)

I've been building kit furniture for my puzzle house. I put together two Cassidy Creations kits, the country bed and country dresser, and I'm sorry to say I was pretty unhappy with them. My recollection was that Cassidy Creations kits were pretty good, but these had very confusing directions, one had no parts list and the other had diagrams that didn't match up with the parts in the kit, several pieces were cut incorrectly (not just a little bit off, these were WAY off...) I buy kits so I don't have to cut the pieces myself, so the fact that I had to do so much tweaking didn't sit well with me. I think these two were newer kits that were added to the line after it changed ownership a few years ago. I have some other CC kits to put together that are from the original line, so I'm hoping those will go smoother. But it was pretty disappointing.

Today I scratch built a corner cupboard using leftover scraps from the puzzle house. I'm pretty happy with it! It's not completely done yet. I'll post pictures of that and the (frustrating) bed and dresser soon.

I was just looking at Daisy House's website, and they've expanded their selection of half scale kits since the last time I looked. I want to order a couple of things but they're in Canada and have a note on the website that US customers may be charged customs fees and it's not something they can predict ahead of time. I'm going to see if my local dollhouse shop can order them wholesale for me instead, I'd hate to get dinged by customs.

Thanks for the heads up about the new owner, Emily. It explains why some of my kits have made up well & some (like the escritoire) were AWFUL! The nursery cupboard isn't too bad, I still haven't tried to fit the drawers, since I still have to paint designs on them & the splash guard (as they call the top) and the door. I have the canopy crib kit and it's a jumble of miniscule sticks!

Uh oh... the canopy crib and nursery cupboard are on my "to do" list. I'm pretty sure these are old ones, though, since they come in plastic boxes and have black and white pictures on the front. The newer ones come in plastic bags and have color photos. I'll let you know how it goes. I also have an armoire (old kit) and a round kitchen table (new kit) to assemble for my Fairfield, and a kitchen hutch I'm not sure what to do with...