tennyson

ilovecats

I don't know what to do with this house! It was decided to build it up into a rundown witch's house, weathered exterior and all. I put one coat of paint on the ceilings and exterior today. It looks too nice to be a run down house! AUUUUGGHHHH what do i do? Whatever i decide it needs 2 more coats of paint before i will wallpaper. But if i decide to make it into the witch's house, one or both of those coat of paint needs to be the weathering colors. I am so undecided. Hmmmm gonna give it a few days to think about that one!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had the same problem with my tennyson. I wanted a wich house, then a fortune tells house with a seance room, and nothing worked until it became a rose cottage gift shop! I just think it is a very stubborn house and has to have its own way!

i'll have to agree. I looked at it again this morning. It has potential to be a great witch's house because of the overall shape of it...currently it looks to nice....I'm still really undecided! The attic has just the look i want for her house tho. hmmmm. we'll see how i feel tomorrow, i'll make the decision then because i plan to make some progress on it. then again, i'm feeling some inspiration to complete the heritage so i may work on that instead...hmmmm

• 1 month later...

Well after hours of punching out, sanding and then piecing together the porch posts and railings today.....i've decided to NOT use them! I don't have the schematic's for this kit so piecing together all the railings and such was a challenge. i did pretty well however, but after looking at all the parts and the picture on the front of the box, they just won't look good IMHO. I know this is supposed to be an old, weathered, run down house, but I just think it will look awful and not the look i'll be satisfied with.......so here's the plan...I will use the tall porch posts, but will either buy porch railing (you can get it in sections) or....I just bought a Garfield, and if there are enough railings to use from that kit, they will get used on the Tennyson. I plan to replace or just not use the railings on the Garfield anyway.....so...wish i had come to this conclusion before spending so much time and effort on the many many porch parts. :o :lol:

Anyway, aside from weathering the exterior, i haven't done much work on any dollhouse in the past couple of weeks.....I'm back on track tho and excited about getting this house done. I have also been slowly sanding the shingles so that i can get my Orchid roofed soon. I'm 3/4 of the way thru sanding the edges, then i'll throw on some stain and shingle away!

So that's the scoop.

So did you decide to do it as a witch's house afterall? Love witch's houses and would love to see what you could do with this one :D

Hi Charlene! yes, i decided to do the witch's house, it was just the best style house that i have to do it up this way. I may work on it again this week since my garfield arrived!!!! (yipppppppeeee). I'm not sure yet. My Grosvenor is feeling neglected tho so i want to work on it. I have to go out of town this weekend for a work retreat so it may be a couple of more weeks before i get back to the tennyson! I'll post more pic's soon! marg

its always sad when the houses try and make you feel guilty.

Catriona MHM always gives me the dirty looks when I am around

but I have to say my Granville is the perfect Lady..she knows that when I get back to her she will be finished with love and everything I am learning now only benifits her eventual decorating!

Im looking forward to seeing how all of your houses turn out but the tennyson I am very excited about.

I love witches/haunted houses and love to see everyones interpatations.

have fun on trip. and come back soon to all your wonderful projects!

nutti :D

Oh I am so with you on the houses sending plaintive subliminal messages and looks....mine call to me..."I need...", "Work on me"..."No, ME".... "I'm still here"....

Hmmmm.... in print it sounds nuts...but talking to the houses is cheaper than psychoanalysis and they never blame anything on my mother :D

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well i was supposed to clean the garage today and run stuff to the dump. I have no energy or desire to do it and it's already almost noon, so.....i'll do it tomorrow :lol: :thumb:

Today i'll get the flooring glued into the tennyson and work on the paperclay chimney/fireplaces.

As soon as i get the energy up to work on it. :)

I just found a home for the Orchid on the shelf above my desk i have to glue the bottom step back on, everytime i move it i break the step off. :o It's cool to have it sitting where i can look at it tho. I'd like to build another Orchid, i enjoyed it! It's a cool house.

After the tennyson i will finish the heritage probably.....i am thinking about working on another smaller kit tho, maybe the buttercup. :)

Ohhhh I just won the Tennyson from ebay the other day. Is this what I have to look forward to, more indecisions!!! Well, thanks for the warning, I will remember that when and if I start on it.

Can't wait to see yours all done and I agree, I would love to do another Orchid too.

You are so sweet, thanks! I never know how to decorate any house until after it's put together. I've found if I plan first, it never works out. I realized early on that they need to be put together and then I have to wrestle with it to get any wallpaper in or decorating done. I curse and swear but I keep coming back for more. Shows you what a masochist I am.

Well, glued down the floor boards with aleene's so that they would warp, I put cans of veggies and soup to hold the warpage to a minimum. I don't want the warpage to be to overdone. But as an old neglected house, i like the idea of it. I started gluing some of the attic boards (the walls) but needed a break. I will do the ceiling joists etc at a later date, cuz i may need to run to michaels for more wood, plus i have to measure out how many i need and cut and stain them.

I'll probably get all of the flooring and ceiling and walls in the attic done today. Then we go to my brothers for dinner.

I won't paperclay today cuz i realized i need a rolling pin. duh. :o :thumb: :lol:

Anyway, i'd love to have this house completed by the end of october/mid november.

Oh I am so with you on the houses sending plaintive subliminal messages and looks....mine call to me..."I need...", "Work on me"..."No, ME".... "I'm still here"....

Hmmmm.... in print it sounds nuts...but talking to the houses is cheaper than psychoanalysis and they never blame anything on my mother :o

Heck no, not weird at all,sounds like a diary entry :lol: and very common I think, but I also think that the ones working with minis are more prone to actually listen to that silent voice :thumb:

Hugs

Just taking a break.....looks like i somehow didn't get the flooring for the attic stained. I don't know how i missed that?

anyway, can't get to it today anyway...so...i'll finish up what i'm doing currently then put all the canned veggies back in the pantry :blush: I hope my floor didn' turn out too warped. I haven't peeked yet.

The attic is looking pretty cool, although not as aged as i would like. I'll post pictures after it's completed...not yet!

Marg, you'll have to do a tutorial on how you age things. I can't wait to see as I just can't imagine how it's going to look. It sounds quite exciting and different.

Wendy, I may need a tutorial on how to age things myself! :blush::p So far i've weathered the outside of theTennyson and i'm happy with it, but i need to age the exterior now......I'm disappointed with the interior so far that is why i haven't posted pic's yet. I'm waiting to see how it comes together. The color that i used to age the wallpaper was a tad to dark so i'm not to happy with myself. It didn't go on how i imagined and it looks to dark. I was hoping that the flooring would detract from it, but i'm not sure it will. I don't know, so far it hasn't turned out like i imagined. sigh. I'm liking the attic so far but the wood just doesn't looked aged. However it's looking pretty nice as far as the wood look goes.

Ah well tomorrow is another day. :lol:

Just taking a break.....

The attic is looking pretty cool, although not as aged as i would like. I'll post pictures after it's completed...not yet!

Sounds really interesting!!!!! Hmmm, you know as far as the ageing effect, one can alway take one of those nail files and sand awaya little wallapper/paint here and there where things were likley to have scrubbed against the walls and ceilings, perhaps even use a small steelbrush and scrape here and there... Oh and some "grungy" looking stains in the corners as well, perhaps a little wasp nets in one corner, and some spiderwebs in others, oh and those black poppy seeds looks verymuch like dead flies.... OK, better :zip: now or I will go in spin dizzy mood....

Hugs

Marg, you can used the india ink + alcohol to "silver" the wood, just keep brushing it on until you get the color you want, or use a paint wash (experiment on scraps first, to see which effect suits you best).

Try sponging tea on your wallpaper, you'll get a lovely aged look and if you sort of "splop" it on you may get the stain effect, as well.

Marg, you can used the india ink + alcohol to "silver" the wood, just keep brushing it on until you get the color you want, or use a paint wash (experiment on scraps first, to see which effect suits you best).

Try sponging tea on your wallpaper, you'll get a lovely aged look and if you sort of "splop" it on you may get the stain effect, as well.

Holly, great tips! I wish i had asked before i started! I have a couple of questions about both of these methods. I want to make sure i understand.

1) sponging tea. Do you brew a cup then dip the sponge in the liquid? Is it that simple?

2) I haven't heard of india ink, where does one find this? Is it rubbing alcohol? (i'm sure it is i can't imagine you mean to pop the bottle on the gin :woot: :ohyeah: What ratios of each would i use to mix?

I will use the silver method on any exterior wood and the shingles! Here is what i picture: Wood in an attic will probably be a faded stained look (i might have acheived that not sure...it all looks the same, but after application of dust this should change the look of the flooring) but i want a couple of areas that appear to have a leak in the roof. I will have rafters and the attic will be all wood. I have done most of the ceiling with the exception of the rafters since i'll have to go to michaels and get some wood for this. I am using the greenleaf siding for all of my wood flooring and wood on the walls just cuz i have alot of it.

I used burnt umber thinned down with water (mixed with a light tan color) to age my walls, again i think it was a little too dark, but i hope that once it's completed and decorated it won't be too distracting. I don't want to re-wallpaper it cuz that is just more money so i'll have to live and learn. Looks like it will be the weekend before i try the paperclay stonework fireplaces. I'll post pic's by the end of the weekend.

Sounds really interesting!!!!! Hmmm, you know as far as the ageing effect, one can alway take one of those nail files and sand awaya little wallapper/paint here and there where things were likley to have scrubbed against the walls and ceilings, perhaps even use a small steelbrush and scrape here and there... Oh and some "grungy" looking stains in the corners as well, perhaps a little wasp nets in one corner, and some spiderwebs in others, oh and those black poppy seeds looks verymuch like dead flies.... OK, better :zip: now or I will go in spin dizzy mood....

Hugs

Great ideas! I have put grungy stains on the walls and in a couple of corners and i want it to look like water damage in one of the corners and under a couple of windows. I think i over did one of the corners, but too late to change it now. :welcome: I will do spiderwebs, i have a hot glue gun to experiment with! I like the idea of a wasps nest!

Thanks for sharing your ideas!