Wallpaper or paint in gables?

shutterbugkc

I'm taking a short break from assembling and papering the second floor ceiling on my Aurthur. I haven't made any big mistakes yet, but it is slow going. :D

Then, I was wondering if most people just paint these odd angled and odd shaped sections of ceiling/wall. It seems like paint would be easier, but I really like the crisp tailored look of wallpaper. So what do all of you usually do when finishing the inside of funky roofs?

paint is easier, but I like the wallpaper look in those angled roof rooms. If you haven't already selected your paper for those rooms, try to avoid anything with lines or a directional design. Something with a small all over flowery pattern makes life much easier. If you can't find a paper, there are bazillions of small flower designs on fabric.

Good luck!

Wizzy

HI Shutterbugkc,

This is Linda McD, definitely NOT the wallpaper Queen! (LOL!)

Maybe the way treat the wp depends on how you like to decorate. I decorate walls, ceilings and floors before assembling. Then I'm left with uneven edges where they join. OK for floors, 'cause you can cover gaps with molding.

I fill the spaces with Spackle, then apply tiny strips of wood painted in the background colour of the paper.

If I am painting, I just retouch after the wood is glued in. I am not the most precise finisher, and I am also CHEAP - I use Bamboo skewers cut down lengthwise. (Dollar store)

The attic rooms in my Lindfield are finished this way.

I am not dexterous enough to wp after the house is put together! (ham-fisted, me!)

Looking forward to hearing how the pros do it!

Linda McD from NOTL, Ont, Canada

I did wallpaper the complicated gables of my Arthur, and I'm far from being a pro. I must confess that my method was to cut paper roughly the right size but larger, push it in, fold where it didn't fit, cut some more, try again, and keep going until it fit. In the bedroom, I had to put molding over a gap, but that had something to do with the type of paper I was using (artists' paper, rather thin). My wallpapering is usually the triumph of will over skill.

Thanks everyone! My solution was to paper a few of the sections before assembly and then the last couple after assembly. It looks pretty good with the exception of one little gap that is getting my goat. :D I wasn't planning on using any trim on the angles, but now I'm thinking I might. Oh well, at least I'm done with all the wallpaper! ;)

I did wallpaper the complicated gables of my Arthur, and I'm far from being a pro. I must confess that my method was to cut paper roughly the right size but larger, push it in, fold where it didn't fit, cut some more, try again, and keep going until it fit. In the bedroom, I had to put molding over a gap, but that had something to do with the type of paper I was using (artists' paper, rather thin). My wallpapering is usually the triumph of will over skill.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, what Calamari said, basically. Sometimes (like that bedroom angle in the Arthur that I did not paper before assembly--who am I kidding? I never wallpaper before assembly), I will take a plain piece of paper and place it on the outside of the house and crease it to get a rough "pattern/template" for my wallpaper. I also flip the house upside down, lay it on its face, on its side, whatever and however I need to reach those angles. I think I may have taken pix of doing that wallpaper on the Arthur and those are in the Team Arthur blog.

I follow the same method of pushing paper in, folding, etc. to get the right angles.

For some reason I had an awful time of it with the Arthur. It was probably because the paper I was using was way too stiff. That, plus I am not very good with Yes glue. I have decided to rip out the paper I put in and leave the inside unpapered. I will be selling or giving away the Arthur when I'm done with it (haven't exactly decided where it'll go yet) and I know if I were getting a house from someone else, I'd want to do the inside myself, anyway.

Sorry - that doesn't answer your question!

In other houses, like the Fairfield, I have painted the gable part white to make it part of the ceiling. That's an easier solution but it doesn't always look as good as wallpaper would have. These aren't great pictures to see how this looks in the Fairfield, but you get an idea. I plan to add balsa "half walls" so there will at least be some wallpaper butting up against the white ceiling.

I was interested to hear what you are all doing with your gables.... I have only done the one house like this... the Buttercup but I am starting off on the Orchid and it has 3 gables......

My problem is that i make the front to come off... sooooo do I just paint the front a white or cream colour... or do I make it match the rooms inside.... hm....

Well usually if there is a window you can peek into from the side (and see the inside of the front)

then I try to make it match..... if not i just paint it all the one colour... well papering drives me potty. I have found that if I make wallpaper on my printer... the wet paste or glue makes the colour run... so I have a few walls in my house that are affected by 'dampness'

Now I stick my wallpaper on with Pritt stick... thats the paper glue that comes packaged like a lipstick....

this is soo interesting.....I'm glad I joined

If the gable is small, I always paint; otherwise, it depends on how much frustration I want, and also whether I think wall paper is the large gables will overwhelm the room.

Most of my houses are front-opening -- I always have the opening sections match the rooms. I like the look of the matching and thus continuing the "look" of the rooms.

:D