Working Windows?

If you use the Houseworks components you will need to find the closest fits and adjust your openings to fit them. As they're made for the 3/8" plywood & MDF kits, you'd also want to put shims under the trims for a better fit. If you have a good supply of 1/16" & 1/32" basswood, a utility knife with lots of new, sharp blades and a steel straight-edge with a cork back, you can make lovely working sash windows using a "sandwiching" process to make them.

Timberbrook used to make door and window upgrades for some of the Greenleaf kits, I recently got the upgrades for the Pierce, but was singularly unimpressed with them and swapped them for the original new windows that come with the kit. The Timberbrook company is no longer in business, although the upgrades appear on ebay from time to time.

I have made replacement doors (easy!) and working casement windows (also easy!); but I'm not all that particular about working windows.

Shims are small pieces of wood used to help level out a window, door, or cabinet before it is fastened to the floor or wall during construction. In real life the shim is about 8 to 10 inches long and 1 1/2 inch wide. it is about 1/2 in deep at one end and thins down to a very slender end (a very lop sided triangle from the side). In installing a door or window, two shims are used with the slender end being pushed in from each side and between the frame and the wall/opening and laying on top of one another. Depending on the width of the opening between the window door/wall the shim is pushed over one another until the opening is filled and the door/window is level in the opening and then the door/window is secured with screws or nails. The portion of the shim sticking out is then broken or cut off and the door/window is then trimmed out with the framing. They are also used singly to fill in between cabinets against floor (ever use a piece of paper to level a wobbly table?) or against an uneven wall. In miniatures I use the flat tooth picks for simular reasons. Also use skinny sticks to build out around windows when they are thicker then the dollhouse walls.

The steel straight edge with cork is a steel ruler with cork backing which does not slip when under use. They come in various lengths and the small one is 6". Ther are others at 1' and 18".

Probably more then you wanted to know!!!!!LOL