My Mom's Rosedale...

minifan

I won't be blogging this build until after I give it to her...(I don't want her to see the progress on it, until it's done...), but I will post pictures as I go along, and blog about it after the "big" reveal...

O.K. my opinions about the Rosedale...

- Don't like the staircase assembly, it went together easily, but then attaching the right side stringer and the right wall, a little confusing...

- Love the laser cut, only thing I don't like is the little connectedy wood chipy thingys, (this really defines what they are, you'll know if you worked with the laser cut)...you have to make sure you sand them off, or your painting looks weird...however, it's the least amount of sanding I've ever done for a GL house...

- Soo smooth, going together like a dream, (and I thought everyone else was making this part up)...going soo fast...want to keep working on it and put the McKinley aside because it's sooo easy right now...(I will pay for this comment later, you know that right?)

- Lastly, the smell of the laser cut wood...makes me nauseaus...

My only problem with laser cut kits is that they build so fast I don't think to do the bashing they might want. I think the odor of the wood reminds me of fine incense!

BOTH TRUE TRUE TRUE!!! :D

The Rosedale definitely wanted to be flipped, but because I spray painted her roof with textured spray and stained the floors already it was too late!!!

I won't be blogging this build until after I give it to her...(I don't want her to see the progress on it, until it's done...), but I will post pictures as I go along, and blog about it after the "big" reveal...

O.K. my opinions about the Rosedale...

- Don't like the staircase assembly, it went together easily, but then attaching the right side stringer and the right wall, a little confusing...

- Love the laser cut, only thing I don't like is the little connectedy wood chipy thingys, (this really defines what they are, you'll know if you worked with the laser cut)...you have to make sure you sand them off, or your painting looks weird...however, it's the least amount of sanding I've ever done for a GL house...

- Soo smooth, going together like a dream, (and I thought everyone else was making this part up)...going soo fast...want to keep working on it and put the McKinley aside because it's sooo easy right now...(I will pay for this comment later, you know that right?)

- Lastly, the smell of the laser cut wood...makes me nauseaus...

I loved the staircase, it went together easily and looks wonderful.

I agree on the little wood thingies that are left after punching out, but there is so little sanding, you have to get your sanding in somewhere, right?

It does go together extremely fast, you'll be done in no time!

I didn't mind the smell as much as the "smut" ruboff that would get on my hands when handling the wood. I had to wash my hands constantly so that I wouldn't transfer it.

I have to say that I loved the laser cut overall!

Good luck and you'll just have to buy another one for that bashing.

omg!!!!! i saw your album!!! i am in love with everyone of those wallpapers!!! excellent choices!!! ....its so cute...i may need to have one or two...and a chantilly and a jefferson :D

I too love the laser cut and am angling for the Beacon Hill to be laser cut. But back to topic - I hate the smell too.

One thing with my Chantilly kit, about half the stair tread pieces were missing when it arrived so I needed to cut them out.

I like the blackened edges of the laser cut if you don't plan on painting them. You have to sand or seal over the black or it takes too many coats of paint. The smell just smells like burnt wood to me. The black does get on your hands a lot. On my Chantilly I left the window trim unpainted and I like the look. The Beacon Hill or any of the houses with so much ornate trim would be wonderful in laser cut. I can never get the trim pieces smooth enough sanding, except the straight pieces. The fancy pieces always look fuzzy when painted.

A laser Beacon Hill would be wonderful, as would the Willowcrest. That's where I stopped on my Beacon Hill ( the trim) I put together the triple kitchen window, which was almost 30 pieces in the window assembly. It went together fine, but all that sanding! Unfortunately, Dean has said that all the older designs will not be done in laser. Maybe he will change his mind.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

SHE TOOK IT!!!

Well, don't expect to see any more pictures of the Rosedale...my mom took it...(and I know she won't take any pictures of it)...the worst part about that is it's not done...

Apparently, she will finish it from this point...(HA! Fat chance in you know what!...GIVE IT BACK so I can finish it so it doesn't sit "unfinished" in your dining room where everyone you know will see it and you will say, "Oh, my daughter made that, but she never finished it", and I won't be there to defend myself!!!)...

• 2 weeks later...

Ack, Amanda, that sounds like something my mom would have done..to tell everyone you left something unfinished when she really took it away from you before you could.

I won't buy a Beacon Hill till it's laser cut. I think GL is foolish for not redoing that one..it's one of their most popular. I'd rather buy a RGT house than deal with a zillion splinters.

Just my two cents', GL, if you're reading this. After doing a laser cut house, I won't go back to raggedy splinters.

MM :)

I won't buy a Beacon Hill till it's laser cut. I think GL is foolish for not redoing that one..it's one of their most popular. I'd rather buy a RGT house than deal with a zillion splinters.

HA! I agree, I think there is such a market out there if they would only listen...they would make a killing...imagine how many Beacon's they would sell if it were laser cut!?!

Just putting my two cents in here also because I completely agree with you. I'd love to see the Beacon Hill laser cut but if they would do it in half scale too that would be even more amazing! I don't have room for any more 1/12th scale houses but the 1/2 scale houses so far are cute but none appeal to me like the Beacon Hill or Willowcrest type houses. Wishing the fairfield would be released in laser cut too.

As for your mom taking the Rosedale I feel for you. That would be absolutely horrible! I am very territorial and would hate for someone to try and finish what I've started or worse still make it so I couldn't finish it. :)

As for your mom taking the Rosedale I feel for you. That would be absolutely horrible! I am very territorial and would hate for someone to try and finish what I've started or worse still make it so I couldn't finish it. :)

OH I'm ticked!!! It's already started too...I went to her house last Thurs. and her neighbor saw me outside and was like

"nice dollhouse, I think it would look nicer if it had been painted on the outside and had shingles though, did you think about adding shingles, shingles make a nice touch, they make it more real...did you know you can buy shingles at any craft store...you should get black ones that look like asphalt"...

UM YEAH...I KNEW THAT...YOU DIDN'T KNOW IT'S HALF SCALE THOUGH...BUT YES, I HAVE SHINGLES FOR IT, SHE WON'T LET ME PUT THEM ON...BUT THANKS FOR THE BACKHANDED COMPLIMENT...(no, I didn't say that, but I wanted to!!!)...

• 4 weeks later...
A laser Beacon Hill would be wonderful, as would the Willowcrest. That's where I stopped on my Beacon Hill ( the trim) I put together the triple kitchen window, which was almost 30 pieces in the window assembly. It went together fine, but all that sanding! Unfortunately, Dean has said that all the older designs will not be done in laser. Maybe he will change his mind.

If GL did a laser cut Beacon Hill, I would be the first person in line! Love that house.

Kirsten