Why they call them the Rocky Mts

Sherry

A photo I took on our trip, for those of you who have never seen the Rocky Mts. Now, this is in the 'short' part. They reach about 5 thousand ft higher north of where we were. But the car should give you an idea of the height. And the mountains really are solid rock like this, with only a very thin layer of dirt, and none in some places. These mountains have always fascinated me..I will never believe these majestic mountains are just an act of nature and not divine plan.

Anyway, I thought those of you who have never seen them might enjoy knowing why they are called 'Rocky' We had a wonderful trip, and as usual asked ourselves why we are not living there...then we remember what the winters are like up there!

gallery_3692_4436_23831.jpg

Beautiful! There's a little town called Georgetown, high up in the Rocky Mts. that I fell in love with from a movie. I've always wanted to visit and spent a lot of time looking through pictures on the net earlier this year. These mountains are so amazing. Someday I'll get to see them :)

Having grown up surrounded by the mountains, I'm forever lost when I go somewhere where there are no mountains, physically and spiritually. Some people lump our Wasatch Mountains with the Rockies, but they are several hours drive away, so I don't know... . Some of ours are like that, some more alpine, some dirt and crags, but that's fine with me - something for everyone and every mood.

My hike 2 weeks ago started at 7500 feet and went up from there, which was fine - until I turned around and came down! I went from pine to alpine, through areas of wildflowers, past (and over) streams, and crossed the Great Western Trail.

I could live far from the mountains, but it would never be home...