Hurricane season 2010

heidiiiii

I figured I would start a thread on this. Hopefully Earl will be the only hurricane of the season. We can only hope! I have got water, batteries, and we put a few things away outside. We will REALLY know if there is going to be a direct hit around 230pm est this afternoon.

When you watch the weather channel, and you see how they talk about Long Island..if you see on the eastern tip of Long Island and CT/RI border is right there...That is me! Waving at you! I told Fred that if we see Jim Cantore driving around town, we know we are in trouble...LOL Jim is the bald dude that thrives on being exactly where the hurricane is gonna hit!

I do not know if the news is being overly dramatic or what..but they are saying that if this is a direct hit to us it will be worse the the Hurricane of 1938. My parents lived thru that and I have seen pictures. That is NOT good if they are correct. The only reason why I freak is because of the trees out back. They break, they will land on our house.

So pray for all of us in the path. Any other Greenleafers that are in the path of Earl, could you let us know how you are doing?

I have Debs number. So if it is bad and I still have cell service/landline service..I will give her a call.

Weather like that is always scary - here in the midwest, it's tornadoes! :jumping: I was actually supposed to be on the east coast next week, but the trip has been cancelled. Take care of yourself and your family...it's good you are prepared. :D

We're still crossing fingers, etc, for that Canadian cold front to un-stall and get a move on. So far the projections are that by the time Earl gets to you it'll be down to a Category 1, which is nasty, but not a killer like the 4s & 5s we get in the Gulf & they got in the Carribean. Normally hurricane season is 1 June - 30 November, but I think it was the '08 season we still had storms into late December.

Heidi-I swear you have too much drama in your life...but as a former CT.resident I know how these storms can be.Stock up, tape your windows,and hope for the best!I'm

sending Best Wishes to you and yours,my sister in RI and everyone else on the East Coast! :D

Heidi-I swear you have too much drama in your life.

No kidding. What does that say about my past life? LOL

I watered the garden and picked all the ripe to almost ripe tomatoes. If the storm is going to be bad, I will go back tomorrow and pick all the green ones. They are saying now that it is going to be in my area early morning Saturday. I guess I wont be sleeping..hehehe

I was worried about Friday because I do all my banking (online and some in person) and I did not want that to be effected. It will not be so I will have cash just in case.

Wait until Friday to pick the rest of your tomatos, if you can. We finally got our hands on a generator, originally for the camper so we could set up overnight to a couple of days at any campground without facilities, and last year one of the storms blew down a couple of power lines and we brought the generator in to the back porch and didn't lose a refrigerator full of food, as usually happens when the power poops out in a storm; we live on a dead-end road, so we're among the very last to get service restored.

I live right over the North Carolina/Virginia border. Some places in Northeast North Carolina have issued evacuations. We'll just have to see how it goes. I have stocked up on supplies and stored things from my yard as well.

On the bright side of things, I ordered a Laurel dollhouse, it was supposed to be here Friday but showed up today. I'm happy to know that my miniature house won't have to endure the hurricane storm. LOL

We are about 3ish hours away from where it's supposed to be bad, (Cape Cod)...so hopefully we will just get rain...

My good gf is an active-duty soldier, (also pregnant by 4months with #2) and was notified that she will be deployed to the Cape if it's bad there, (for help with residents and stuff)...

We are about 3ish hours away from where it's supposed to be bad, (Cape Cod)...so hopefully we will just get rain...

My good gf is an active-duty soldier, (also pregnant by 4months with #2) and was notified that she will be deployed to the Cape if it's bad there, (for help with residents and stuff)...

That's the scary thing with the military, especially the Navy. When storms like this hit all sailors must be aboard the ships so they can pull out to sea and avoid the damaging winds that can smash them against the pier. I've been through a few storms where my husband had to go aboard the ship and just leave me. It's hard stuff!!!

Hurricanes rarely make it up to Maine, the last one we had was in '99, I think, named Bob. Somehow Hurricane Bob just sounds stupid.

DH is going to get more gas for the generator anyway. Around here it takes much less than a hurricane to knock the power out for days.

Anyway, for everyone, I hope Earl decides to swing east early and poop out . One of our forcasters is predicting an easterly swing.

If that Canadian cold front doesn't get a move on, ol' Earl hasn't diminished to the Category One originally forecast for y'all, and the diameter of this beast is 200 miles. I think covering windows with plywood and considering getting at least 100 miles inland would be tops on my list.

I will be praying you all of you in the Carolinas area. It does not look good for you.

As for my neck of the woods, they are saying it is going to be like one of our winter Noreasters (minus the cold). I am going to pick up a few more light things in the yard and I will bring the plants in tomorrow morning. Still keeping an eye on it just in case.

The only GOOD thing to come out of this..the heatwave will be over! Yay! I am sick and tired of it.

Since somebody made the suggetion, taping up windows won't do any good, all it will do is make a mess on your windows. The ONLY thing tape is good for (and that's ONLY if you cover nearly every single square inch of the glass) is so there won't be as much broken glass mess if something does come thru your window.

A good place to go for information on the storms is noaa.gov, look for active weather alerts (orange and lower left side of screen), then left side of screen Forecasts/hurricanes. That will connect you to a page showing what's out there (there is 1 hurricane, 2 tropical storms that will probably become hurricanes, and a tropical wave coming off coast of Africa right now). You can get info on forecasted tracks and strengths by clicking on each storm. I live in South Florida and hubs and I check the site at least once every day this time of year because it seems like the tropical waves start popping off of Africa like balls out of one of thosee machines they use for batting practice.

NOAA updates the site either 3 or 4 times a day and they just give the facts, unlike the television stations here that seem like they want the storms to come here and work people up into a frenzy.

Karen

Thanks for that Karen.

I think there is an update around 11am est..let me take a look......Yup. we still have a tropical storm warning and the track has changed slightly for us..more out in ocean then toward land.

I am sweating! Fred and I brought all the houseplants inside. Oliver knocked over one of my big cacti. Dirt everywhere!! I was able to save it. The beautiful pot..is D.O.A. I told him that if he did not get out of my sight for awhile, he was going to end up living up close and personal with Earl!

(you all know I would not do that but he pissed me off! I loved that pot!)

I am doing some laundry and I tidied up the basement a bit just in case we get flooding. I have to remember to tip over the bird bath..dangit!

I am going to relax a bit. I am going to water all the plants really well and put them in their spots for the winter.

I am sweating! Fred and I brought all the houseplants inside. Oliver knocked over one of my big cacti. Dirt everywhere!! I was able to save it. The beautiful pot..is D.O.A. I told him that if he did not get out of my sight for awhile, he was going to end up living up close and personal with Earl!

(you all know I would not do that but he pissed me off! I loved that pot!)

:D

Eh, I tell my dog all the time that I'm going to make a "Starsky-shaped rug on my living room floor"...but I love that dog so much I couldn't do so much as hit him playfully...he's my baby...(well, he was, then my daughter arrived and he got 2nd standing in the house...but we still love him!!!)

I love Washington too! That's my home state. I've lived in Virginia for 3 years now and it just doesn't and probably never will feel like home.

Virginia is still [my adopted - I grew up in NYS] home to me, and I haven't lived there for over 20 years. Funny the attachments we make to places.