What I had for dinner

grazhina

When DH and I were at the Aztec show in Ohio, I ordered a filet mignon dish at the hotel restaurant, which I really enjoyed.

Since DH has been somewhat chagrined at having to eat chicken, hamburger, sausage and tuna so much lately, I decided to splurge and get him a rib eye steak this weekend. For myself, I got a small tenderloin and prepared it like they did at the restaurant, and it came out just like theirs.

Butterfly a tenderloin steak, then whack it a few times with a mallet to flatten it more. Season it with salt and pepper.

Mix some flour with salt & pepper, then dredge the steak in the flour on both sides, and let it sit a few minutes. Saute the steak in oil and butter over medium high heat, it cooks quite fast.

I drizzled a little chipotle BBQ sauce on mine. I can't recall what they drizzled on it at the restaurant, but the BBQ sauce was perfect.

We all deserve something extra once in a while. :)

OH...my dh's family had a private burial for my FIL...so after that we went out to dinner, (in honour of FIL, dh's uncle paid the bill)...I had the single most delicious meal I've ever eaten there...

Filet with a lobster tail and 1/2 pound of steamers, (steamed on the grill!!!)...and instead of potatoes they serve roasted radishes...HEAVEN IN THE MOUTH...(however this was a few weeks ago(and a meal that dh and I could not afford)...tonight I ate leftovers!!!)

Alas, I am still on a Hamburger Helper budget. I love steak, but since I use my food stamp card to buy food with, buying steak of any kind gets a little hairy. A couple of weeks ago our local supermarket had a Mix 'n' Match Buy 1 Get 1 Free sale: I was able to buy 5 lbs of hamburger and then matched it with 3 lbs of steak, which were free since I bought the hamburger. But oh, the looks I got checking out! Wow!

When DH took me out for our anniversary to our favorite nouvelle cuisine place they had frogs' legs as an appetizer (the menu changes nightly). These were fixed in a sauce made with garlic & peppers and the legs were plump & meaty, and I thought I had gone to heaven!

One of my favorite things to do when we go out is to order something I've never had before, or at least a new way of cooking/ presenting it, and then work on reproducing it when we're home, especially within the restrictions of our diet.

One of my very favorite meals at a restaurant, and one that I'll actually get cravings for, is a French dip sandwich. Like Kelly, my budget doesn't extend to eating out hardly at all, and a couple of months ago I decided to make this at home. Bought deli sliced roast beef, really good French hard rolls (NOT hoagy rolls!), and a can of beef consume, and oh, my!

In fact, I decided I deserved this more often than once every blue moon, so in my groceries this month I made sure there was a pound of the roast beef, consume, and the best French rolls I could get, all to go in the freezer (divided into servings) for later. Putting the roast beef and the split roll (buttered lightly) in the oven to warm/toast while heating the "au jus" on top of the stove makes for a quick dinner, too - at least as good as any restaurant! I like this served with a tossed green salad and some fruit for dessert.

Heaven, at least to me! :)

I'm drooling. Supper tonight was a bag of Brach's malted milk balls, eaten while working on the quilt shop! I don't do that very often, but I just didn't want to stop while I was on a roll!

I make a french dip here for Fred, Natalie and I in the crockpot. Here is the recipe that I use as a base.

I add a bit of this or that to it. Some garlic powder, Fred once added a dash of cumin. some black pepper, etc. Everyone has different things that they like to add to their food to punch it up.

I use two forks to shred the meat.

It is REALLY good. In fact, now I want to make this for dinner..LOL

And it freezes well. I put the au jous in small containers by itself, and the beef in small containers. So if it was for one or two people, you could get a few good meals out of it.

Mmmmm-boy, this is a good thread. I occasionally try to cook something on the weekends, but usually fail miserably! - no sense of seasoning... That discourages me enough to stop trying for a while... The only thing that I have developed, through trial and error, a consistent ability for, is Italian-sausage pizza with the dough made in the bread machine. It's about the only thing that I can make that I actually really like!

I'm making something very easy for dinner, since I still have to work on the website after I eat, and I thought I'd pass it along.

I bought some precooked frozen breaded chicken breasts, which are now heating in the oven. Then I'll brush them with Buffalo hot wing sauce, and serve them on buns that have been spread with some blue cheese or ranch dressing, a bit of lettuce & a tomato slice. Easy & tasty too. French fries and home made cole slaw are the sides.

Haven't heard of french dip before - assumed it was some sort of dressing or cold dip until I saw the beef consume ingredient :) (and no idea what consume is, but assume something stock/gravy like)

So you just make a beef sandwich with a roll and dip it in the beef stuff, right? Sounds interesting.

Muriel, a French dip sandwich is basically thin sliced roast beef on a split hard French roll (usually the roll is buttered and lighted toasted), then the sandwich is dipped in a rich clear beef broth and eaten - with lots of napkins. :) "Consume" is just a rich beef broth; "au jus" is just more or less French for the beef juices/broth that you dip the sandwich in. It really is good, and as you've seen from others here you can fancy it various ways - but I just like the plain meat/good bread/broth combo - for me it's almost a comfort food. :)

Ooooh, another comfort food - mac and cheese!

My comfort foods are all bad for me - my favorite is a potato, cheese, and bacon soup that I adapted. It takes 5 cups of diced potatoes, 3 cups of cheese and 2 to 3 cups of cooked bacon. Fortunately for me, bacon has been getting very expensive now, so I can't do this as often as I would like.

I love, love French dip! Also Phillie cheesesteak sandwiches!

We went to Red Lobster for my birthday Friday. Major disappointment. They have changed their entire menu to more frou-frou, heart healthy entrees. I got the admiral's platter because my heart was set on fried shrimp and fish. This stuff had no flavor whatsoever. It's like they threw all their seasonings in the trash. Seafood should be fried with a nice spicy batter, or made Cajun style! I would kill for some Cajun style crab/shrimp in a nice spicy cream sauce like we used to get in Austin. Wish I knew how to make it!

One of my other hobbies is cooking, and one of the "fun" (NOT)things I've been doing since DH & I share the same basic strict diet from our doctor is to find ways to prepare our comfort foods within the diet parameters.

My downfall is bean & bacon soup; thank goodness for turkey bacon and turkey ham! and sharp cheddar cheese made with 2% milk!

Now me, I've got to the point where I hate to cook. Actually, what I hate about it is the cleanup and that I don't get good input from the diners.

I've been in recipe mode lately though, looking for things that taste good. Sometimes they do - sometimes they're just eh.