What I had for dinner

grazhina

For you, Heidi. I've made this lots of times.

Paul Prudhomme's hamburger casserole

Seasoning mix:

1 tsp salt

Scant tsp each...onion powder, garlic powder & oregano

¾ tsp thyme leaves

¾ tsp dry mustard

1 tsp pepper

-----------------------

@ 1 lb burger

2 oz cr.cheese

¼ c sr. cream

½ tbl lime j.

½ c ch green onions

2 tbl fresh parsley

¾ c ch onion

½ c ch celery

½ tsp minced garlic

1 ¼ c beef stock

2 tbl butter

4 oz tom sauce

1 c Mont jack cheese and cheddar , mixed

Mix seasoning blend, then mix about ½ of it + 1 tbl with meat.

Heat oil on high and cook onion, celery, garlic and 1 tbl seasoning mix. Cook on high, stir occ. till golden and beginning to stick. Add ¼ c broth, scrape, stir and cook til almost evaporated, add ¼ c more broth cook again til almost dry, add burger and brown til almost dry, add butter, cook, add sauce, cook, add rest of broth. Bring to a boil, remove from heat and stir in cream cheese mixture.

Cook noodles, drain and toss with oil or butter, add rest of seasoning.

Spread ½ of noodles in deep rect dish, then pour on ½ meat, noodles, rest of meat then cheddar mixture. Bake 350 for @ 25 min.

What the heck, here's another one with ingredients that are usually handy. I've made it with just browned hamburger instead of making the mini meatballs, but we find we prefer it meatballed.

Cheeseburger Noodles -

8 oz med or wide noodles, uncooked

1 lb. very lean burger

¼ c dry breadcrumbs

1 tsp onion powder

¼ tsp salt

1/4 tsp pepper

1/2 tsp Accent

1 egg

Worcestershire sauce

Make ¾” meatballs, brown and drain.

------------------------------------

14 oz can chicken broth

¼ cup water

¼ c/ ketchup..or Heinz 57

¼ tsp salt

dash garlic powder

Mix above ing. & add to meatballs in skillet. Bring to a boil, add noodles, covering them with liquid. Cover and simmer 10-15 min till noodles are done. Be sure to use a pot with a tight lid.

½ c.sr.cr.

1 c cheddar

bit Parmesan

Stir in sr.cr., and cheddar, cook til thickened and heated, @ 5 min…Do not boil.

I use ground turkey and last time I made salisbury steaks with it. I mixed a pound of ground turkey with a pinch of salt, 1/4 tsp grond dried rosemary and a few twists of fresh black pepper, shaped them into patties and dipped them into Italian-seasoned bread crumbs on both sides and pan-broiled them in a spritz of cooking spray.

DH goes surfing online for random recipes and prints me off the ones he'd like me to make; the one we really like lately is Rocco's Fennel-Tarragon Dressing(warning, it prints out onto three pages, but the recipes is only on two pages)

Haven't heard of french dip before - assumed it was some sort of dressing or cold dip until I saw the beef consume ingredient :o (and no idea what consume is, but assume something stock/gravy like)

So you just make a beef sandwich with a roll and dip it in the beef stuff, right? Sounds interesting.

:lol: Good thing we allready had a great meal with my parents earlier today, otherwise I am pretty sure dinner plans would have been changed and the fridge as well as freezer ran sacked (sp?) LOL.

I saw the mentioning of cole slaw and just had to ask for some advice on how to make that as I remember it well from wayyyy back when I visited my relatives and I have raved about it which has made hubby wanting to try the "real thing" and not the stuff bought ready made as those are sort of not so good and goes from very heavy with the mayonnaise to using youghurt or sour cream etc etc... And I can't for the life of me remember what was used (and the same goes for that short bread I think it was called that Linda served with ice cream, strawberries and I think topped with whipped cream????)

Hugs

My mom's coleslaw was always finely shredded cabbage (if we could afford it we'd use Savoy cabbage) and chopped green pepper - if you have a blender, putting the cabbage in the blender jar and then filling it with cold water, then just a pulse or two of the blender and then drain, gets you lovely shredded cabbage. Put the pepper in there with the cabbage, too. Another nice addition is grated apple, and a small amount of finely sliced red onion....

Our dressing was a sweet/sour dressing made of mayonnaise, cider vinegar (1 tablespoon to 1/2 cup mayo), sugar or sweetener to taste, and a bit of celery seed and black pepper. Nowadays I use yogurt instead of mayo to keep the fat content down, and it still works nicely.

I posted in another thread that I came home from the farmer's market this morning (right outside my front door, but with only one more weekend to run, alas!) with a huge butternut squash, green onions, and peppers - three huge green bell peppers (for a dollar!), and one each of red and yellow bell peppers (2 for a dollar!), and will probably use some of it for dinner tonight.

I'm thinking of that ground lamb I have in the freezer, mixed with cooked rice, chopped white onions and some of the green onions and some garlic, maybe a little chopped red pepper, and used as stuffing for the green peppers....

Someone mentioned baked stuffed squash with the butternut - anyone have a good recipe? I was going to bake it plain and then freeze it in servings for later, but I'm open to suggestions LOL!

About coleslaw, although I'm not fond of it, DH loves it. He loves cabbage - period.

I've read dozens & dozens & dozens of coleslaw recipes over the years, recipes from many decades, and the one thing they all have in common is that they are made with cabbage and some sort of dressing.

Older recipes from pre 1950's sometimes used a boiled dressing. This is similar to mayonnaise, but mayonnaise is just whipped, this dressing used mayonnaise ingredients, but it was cooked, then chilled. It was also one of the most commonly used salad dressings back in the 20's & 30's. Miracle Whip is one form of this dressing, hence the name Miracle Whip Salad Dressing. In the UK there's Heinz Salad Cream, which from all accounts I've read, it's similar to old time slaw dressings.

Other old slaw dressings used sour cream, and others used whipping cream. They both would have some lemon juice or vinegar, a bit of sugar, salt & pepper and whatever anyone fancied to add.

I use a few different combinations to make slaw dressings, DH likes them all.

I have noticed, though, that many of the recipes I've seen online use a lot of sugar, sometimes it's enough to sweeten a cake. No wonder some people just love coleslaw, they don't realize they're eating dessert first.

Think I'm going to try this recipe for stuffed butternut squash, tomorrow maybe. It's from "The Splendid Table", a public radio cooking show I nearly always listen to on Sunday afternoons, drooling the entire hour.

Stuffed Butternut Squash Recipe

Since there's only one of me, I'll make a half recipe, steam the other half and freeze it for future reference, perhaps a butternut soup a bit later when it's chillier outside??

For our coleslaw we like to shred carrots with the cabbage and then I blend in just enough mayonnaise to hold it together. My DM used to put raisins in hers, but I don't like it that sweet. Sometimes I'll toss in a couple of pinches of celery seed or caraway seed.

DS#3 is coming out tonight so we can get an early start for our trip in the AM. I'm making shrimp pie for our supper, I got puff pastry sheets and I'll put one in a pie pan and fill it with the shrimp & veggies, mix some egg substitute with a can of cream of celery soup and pour it over everything & bake it. I'm thinking of using the other puff pastry sheet and filling it with cherry pie filling and when it's baked, serve it with the fat-free whipped topping for dessert.

I always prefer my coleslaw what is called the 'traditional' way here - with a vinegar/oil based dressing - as opposed to the 'creamy' way with the mayonnaise based dressing.

Last night we had ribs simmered in a pot on top of the stove in a jar of medium honey-garlic sauce and a bit of water, with home-made potato salade as a side.

I went thru heck to get the fixings for dinner tonite. LOL I went to the grocery store and it was really really busy. I was thinking to myself..Ummm. Is there a hurricane a-coming? Nope. It was Senior Citizen Discount day. The senior buses were parked along the side of the building. The lines for the cashiers were LONG! Every single one of them.

But today is Fred`s last day home before he goes back to work tomorrow. So I wanted to make a special dinner. Hotel turkey breast was 69 cents a lb. I got a nice large one for $7. Garlic potatoes, corn and the cob, and boule bread. Yummmm!

I can smell the leeks, shallots, garlic cooking now. I think I will make some gravy too.

I hate to cook for the same reasons as Grazhina. On top of which with only two of us, it's harder than cooking for 2 boys! But I've been on a winter food binge this week-no reason, still in the high 90's. But I saw Frito Pie at the game Friday nite, so had to make some chili, then Chicken and Dumplings last night and Mexican food tonite (although we eat that in any weather!)

I made a big pan of homemade lasagna this morning

I made lasagne a few nights ago, and we finished it night before last. Last night it was roast chicken, Cracker Barrel cheesy potatoes, gravy & mixed vegetables. Tonight I reheated the potatoes and served them with sausage patties, country gravy and eggs.

I think I might make dh something he likes tomorrow. Carrabas Pasta Weesie with shrimp. DS and I can have it with leftover chicken in it, since we don't want shrimp.

I had a late lunch today. Chelsea and Natalie are going to a Buddhist meeting so they fed themselves dinner earlier. Fred is off working on the car. I am pouring over recipes to help me change my way of eating.

I have NO idea what I am going to have for dinner. I am sooo confused. I guess I could have a few pieces of turkey from yesterday with some salad greens. That would be a healthy dinner.

That sounds good..shrimp salad! Mmm!

I am going to get some Tilapia when I go shopping tomorrow. We need more fish.

Now I need fish recipes. LOL Cannot eat it fried, broiled, and baked all the time.