Help with hiding wires in a GL house?

minifan

O.K., so I'm attempting to round-wire the Glencroft...I know how to do the first floor ground lights, but how do you mount and run the wires for the wall and exterior lights...also, where do you run the wires for the second floor?

Last question, any tips on mounting the lights so they stay???

Here's the run down, I'm spackling the Glencroft, and (for example) I want an exterior light and two wall lights in the kitchen...where should those wires run...in the RGT you just carve into the the wood/mdf to make a "track" for the wire to hide in...can you do the same with GL houses, the wood is a lot thinner so it worries me...but to that point, do you even need to "hide" them or can they run and I spackle right on top of them?

Please help...any suggestions are welcome...(except a suggestion to tapewire...I have NO idea what I'm doing there...) :)

I use tapewire, so I'm not sure if my method will work for you, but I run the tape on the opposite side of the wall / ceiling where the light will be mounted. So if it's an exterior light, the tape is on the other side of the wall (the interior). I drill a hole through the wall and run the wire through it, then secure it to the tape on the other side, then cover the tape with wallpaper.

I think you could probably do the same with round wire but you might have a small lump or wrinkle under your wallpaper. If that's the case you could maybe glue a piece of thin cardstock to the wall before papering it.

As for mounting the lights, I attach them with Quick Grip or a similar glue.

I used a rotary tool on Baslow Ranch which has the thinner walls. I just made sure I did a little at a time and no more than necessary to get the wire to lay flat. I then covered it with tape.

post-4679-1283992598_thumb.jpg post-4679-1283992744_thumb.jpg

As for where to put second floor wires, in the Newport, I left one wall unfinished and have been running my upstairs lights behind the chimney breast on that wall. I'll finish the wall when the wiring is complete.

Every one of us should have a dremel if possible. I already have mine, because I grind ol Bud's toenails with it. I used to breed and show English Bulldogs, and have always kept one for that purpose. The dremel produces a very nice toenail without the danger of cutting into a dog's nails' blood vessels.

The Dremel tool and it's attachments can make life heaven for anyone who likes to do craftwork. You can drill, cut, sand, rout, and do just about anything larger toolshop tools can do. There are separate attachments to help you with routing, and even cutting plywood (think windows and doors etc).

When I get around to building a scratch dollhouse, I'll purchase my wood from Home Depot, and have them make the big cuts for the walls and floors. Usually they'll do those cuts for free. Then the smaller cuts, I will be able to do with my dremel tool..they have an attachment that lets you hold your cutting drill perpendicular to the wood..and of course you can always get a dremel trio..which also does beautiful sawing...but is more like the old fashioned jigsaw in construction.

There's even a lathe tool for the dremel if I remember correctly..although I haven't looked for the lathe attachment, I'm pretty sure I saw it once in a book for dremel.

:)

• Like 1

I have one of these!!! :) I got a Craftsman at Wally World one day...I've never heard of it called a rotary tool though...

O.K., another question, can you put spackle on top of the wire? (well, tape the wire down and then add the spackle?)

• 4 weeks later...

Similar to Fov's reply above, when I did my Willowcrest I ran most of the wiring up the outside of the walls as copper tape, soldering on the lighting wires which I brought through drilled holes from the interior lights. I then hid it all behind the clapboard siding. I ran the ground floor lighting around mainly underneath the foundation, just bringing it up where I needed it. The Third floor lighting I hid in the attic space (as I inserted a false ceiling). For the second floor I had to hide some wires behind furniture but I'm not planning on rearranging the furniture so that's ok.

best wishes,

Sharon

http://mywillowcrestblog.blogspot.com/

(hibernating)