Shipping Internationally?

Momof2Moos

Hello friends. Big question here for friends outside the US.... If I want to ship internationally, like if I sell something from my Etsy store or whatnot, what is the cheapest way to ship? I just did a check with FedEx and it came back to me as a whopping $85 US dollars to ship to Manchester, UK for a piddly 1/2 pound package.

There has got to be a better way!!!!

Advice?

Depends on the weight, of course. I've been shipping internationally for years, but what I ship will fit into a letter, and often doesn't weigh even an ounce, including the envelope. I would check into First Class International letter rates, if your items weigh less than 8 ounces. I have never used Fed Ex internationally - that's a LOT of $$$$$!! Another possibility would be a USPS Priority Mail flat-rate envelope, or even a Priority Mail flat-rate box - both of those have flat rates no matter what the weight, as long as it fits into either the envelope or the box, and they both go internationally - and for MUCH less than $85! Probably get there quicker than Fed Ex too. :)

Also, if you're thinking to have a pre-set shipping thingie attached to your Etsy listing, don't forget to include the cost of your packing materials. Envelopes, ziploc bags, padding, etc. can all add up dollar-wise, and should be included in what you charge for shipping. :)

USPS is probably the best way to go, but compare the price for regular priority vs flat rate shipping. With smaller weights, priority is usually cheaper. You can use "print and ship" online for international mail, but you do need the little clear plastic envelopes that go on the box to put the shipping labels in. You can order the envelopes at usps.com and they're free. Keep in mind that some countries have customs charges and delivery fees in addition to the shipping you're charging. You're not responsible for that, but it's a good idea to mention it to your customer so they don't blame you if they are surprised by additional custom's fees.

Deb

Okay. That's helpful. What I had originally intended to do was use the small priority mail, flat rate box. The one that is like, $4.95, for everything. It's whatever fits into the box, no matter the weight, from what I understand. The box isn't very big, but that shouldn't matter, save for the furniture I sell. I thought this would be beneficial to those ordering multiple items. :) I am also hoarding Charlie's baby food containers. They are perfect for packing small things in to keep them from being rattled and smashed.

Fed Ex could get there in 5 days, but oh my what a price tag!!!

Thank you, both, Mary and Deb. I'll check on the Flat rate box for shipping out and adjust stuff accordingly. :)

I think the seller should bear the cost for packing supplies. Cost of doing business. Shipping is different of course,but when you sell something (to me) there is an implied promise that it will get to the buyer in one piece.

OMG those shipping charges..and the doll houses over there are so different, a totally different flavor. I'm sure they'd be popular over here if it weren't for the doggone shipping charges.

I'm so glad when posts like this pop up. I'm learning a lot!

MM :)

That's what DH and I thought.... USPS would deliver to the US. :) So, is there a flat rate international box? I'm just confused on how to send stuff. I would hate to now be able to sell to people with international interest. Holly could tell me! Too bad she is out at the moment. :) I guess I will just have to do some more digging. I was just curious so I could have a readily available number should the situation ever present itself.

You can use the same flat rate box you'd use to ship within the US, but the price to ship internationally is different. It's still a flat rate, but more expensive than within the US.

You also need to keep customs fees in mind. If you're selling goods worth more than a certain amount of money, the buyer could have to pay additional customs fees when the item arrives in their country. If they're not aware of this ahead of time it could turn into a customer service issue. I used to handle customer service for a company that shipped internationally and this came up a lot -- buyers often blamed us for it even though we had no control over it.

I buy quite a bit of stuff from HBS and their shipping charges are very reasonable and the parcels usually arrive quickly. I think they use UPS. Here's a note from the UK Royal Mail website about customs charges on items from outside UK. I have been stung by customs, handling charges and VAT min the past and it really does put you off buying big items from abroad.

<H1 class=Section>Receiving mail from abroad

</H1>All mail that enter the United Kingdom may be examined by customs, but normally letters, postcards and packets containing only documents or similar forms of correspondence are excluded.

If you are receiving a package from overseas (unless it’s from another EU Country), please be aware that it may incur customs charges. Any package assessed by HM Revenue and customs as being liable for customs charges will also incur a Royal Mail handling fee of £8.

Any goods imported into the UK over the value of £18 are liable to import VAT. Gifts between private individuals over the value of £40 are also liable for VAT. Goods and gifts over these values may also be liable for customs duty. You no longer have to pay customs duty for goods up to the value of £135, however you will still be required to pay import VAT and excise duty where applicable.

For more details please read the Royal Mail guide to receiving goods from overseas. You can also check the HM Revenue & Customs guide to Shopping (new window) on the Internet.

Hope this helps.<A name=115600877>

I buy quite a bit of stuff from HBS and their shipping charges are very reasonable and the parcels usually arrive quickly. I think they use UPS.

ooo really Jo...i've had disasterous results from them the twice i've orderd :)

first one took 8 weeks to get here and the last one was a few half scale building items...cost me $20 shipping..took 7 weeks to get here and the box was enormous all packing and my piddley little bits floating around in the bottom..what a joke

they have such fabulous stuff its such a shame...if their shipping was cheaper and quicker i'd order alot more from them

saying that..i have had fast and reasonable things shipped from other companies... when Cranky shipped the house to me it only took a week...maybe he will have more info...i know he researched the postage :)

For houses the shipping to Australia doubles the price of the kit....so sad :)

yes, i have shipped a couple packages to linda in australia. i used usps, best deal i could find. i think they have a flat rate international box, but it's small, and i think a 4 or 5 lb weight limit, and i think it's about $14.00. the guy at the post office told me the box was about the size of a vhs tape box. i shipped linda's halfscale house to her, and the cost was about $73.00, but it was a decent size box, and i think it weighed about 9 lbs. i think ups wanted about $150.00 to ship it.

That's the box I was thinking of, Dave. Thanks! I had planned on using it because I know the baby food containers will fit right in it and they are just right for holding most of the small stuff. From what I could tell, they are the way to go. Now, if it ever comes up, I will know what to do. :)

I had forgotten the same boxes ship internationally. Sometimes I wonder where my head is lately.

Yeah, the underside of those boxes does mention international shipping. The small ones are pretty shallow. Whatever goes in there can be no more than 1 & 1/2" deep, and that's without any bubble wrap etc. I ship within the US in them now and then.

International first class mail is the cheapest way to go. miniatures tend not to weigh very much. Now if I were sending a few of those metal Phoenix kits to NZ or someplace, that little flat rate box would be a great deal.

Gp play on the USPS site. You can pop in weights and countries and see what it can cost.

We're shipping a box to Belgium that will cost us under $11, going flat rate it would cost us over $43.

If you are receiving a package from overseas (unless it’s from another EU Country), please be aware that it may incur customs charges. Any package assessed by HM Revenue and customs as being liable for customs charges will also incur a Royal Mail handling fee of £8.

That's the worst part, since the £8 handling charge is often more than the customs fee itself! Customers were always asking why we couldn't charge the customs fee up front to avoid the handling charge, but it doesn't work that way.

My experience with shipping to Australia (especially via the cheap USPS methods) is that sometimes the package would go somewhere else first on its way to Australia, rather than going straight there. I had a lot of Aussie customers ask why their packages arrived with stamps (ink stamps, not postage stamps) from the New Zealand post.

I was so proud that I found a dollhouse that was afforable then the dollhouses here in germany are not very pretty.

Well I had to pay more on customs duty as I paid for the dollhouse :wub: . It's such a pitty that the customs duty are so expensive from many shops. I would love to buy more stuff from the USA because we really don't have pretty things for the dollhouse here :o