What to buy for an 18month old at Christmas?

minifan

I'M LOST....

Please help!!!

I have an 18month old little girl...what would you get her for Christmas?

She is getting a "Bitty Baby" doll with a crap load of "Bitty Baby" accessories/furniture...from my MIL(something she found on QVC?)

WHAT CAN I GET HER????

I thought about the FP Loving Family Grand Dollhouse, (plastic so she can't break it)? DH thinks it would be cute, it says 3yrsold, but the comments online are people buying it for a 2yrold...(this is my only idea)...

HELP!!!

Please send ideas...even if you think they are crazy or too expensive...(we have a Christmas fund for her, and I can figure out how to stay in budget with any ideas you send... :groucho:)

P.S. She's super smart...the "baby" toys, she gets bored with easy...she already has ride on toys & a book collection too...

Kitchens are good, they make smaller ones for the younger kids.

Duplo blocks or Mega Blocks and the assorted vehicles.

Clippo blocks and table.

Little People sets are great AND they last for ages. Most sets are geared for 1-4 or 2-5, both of which would be suitable for her.

A chalkboard easel.

Leap Frog Magnets for the fridge: letters, numbers, word whammer....

I can't give much advice on the gender specific toys because I have two boys, but my older son had these toys at that age and loved them.

Hope that helped a bit though!

A kitchen set is a great idea! I purchased a kitchen set for my grandaughter earlier this year for her second birthday & she absolutely loved it - still spends hours playing with it. Her mom has it set up in their kitchen so they can cook together :groucho: If you go with a kitchen - Toys R Us also has other dish sets & pot & pan sets you can get to add to what comes with the kitchen, as well as plastic foods - large & kid friendly.

Along with a kitchen, you might consider a little table & chair set. Children that age love having their own size furniture.

My grandaughter who has just had her 4th birthday plays with her "shop" mostly. This is a collection of plastic groceries in a little shopping trolley. We set them up on the coffee table and she plays for hours. She also has a little kitchen stove and oven with all the accessories and that is popular. Dressing up clothes are also a favourite - princess dress, plastic high heels tiara etc etc. She has 2 dolls houses a plastic one and a wooden one that I made for her and although she plays with them, they are lower down the pecking order than the other stuff.

Blocks & stuffed animals haven't been mentioned. We got a set of small percussion instruments for our grands (drum, rattles, cymbals, triangle, etc). A favorite toy from Radio Shack we got for our youngest, 'way back, was a firefighter's helmet with a light and siren. How about a Radio Flyer wagon so she can take her toys from place to place?

something that DOESNT make a noise!!! :groucho: that used to be my only criteria when my 4 were little :banana:

I think the kitchen/table and chairs are a good idea...my girls spent hours playing shops too...saved all my empty food /cereal boxes and plastic bottles...loads of fun and no cost :giggle:

I totally forgot about the table and chairs, and those are frequent o n Craigslist if you don't want to pay the whopping new prices and they are good for years, too. I never mind the noisy toys, but I do worry about space constraints. That kitchen in the link is narrower than a crib/toddler mattress, so it doesn't take up a bunch of room. The shopping cart is good, too, because she's about that age where she will want to start helping. Cayce brings his shopping cart and gets the produce!

I wish the little shopping carts had been around when mine were small! That's a good idea. We had the wooden table & chairs for our kids to use for reading, coloring, building, etc. Originally, with the first two, we had little red chairs; one day DS#2 was kneeling on the seat of one, holding onto the chair back, watching his older brother, when we heard the plaintive "Mo-o-o-om!" and there he was, with his little knee wedged between the slats and couldn't get it out, and we couldn't get it out, either, not even with the salad oil, so DH returned with his saw and #2 commenced to cry until we assured him his daddy was going to cut the CHAIR!

Because DS#3 is bipolar with psychotic features, and has always been so, I really appreciated the toys that made lots of noise for him, because we knew pretty much where he was.

OOO,Bitty Baby is nice-from the American Girl Collection.My niece took hers everywhere.

Cloth books are nice as are "real" books to be read aloud and saved forever.I also

like Holly's idea of a wagon. Merry Christmas.. :groucho:

something that DOESNT make a noise!!! :groucho: that used to be my only criteria when my 4 were little :yes:

I think the kitchen/table and chairs are a good idea...my girls spent hours playing shops too...saved all my empty food /cereal boxes and plastic bottles...loads of fun and no cost :giggle:

HAHAHA...IS THERE SUCH A TOY???

I found this online?

H68620lg.jpg

It's from the Rose Petal Cottage by FP...they don't sell them anymore...but I was able to find this at Amazon...so I thought this would be cute...it's inflatable...so she can't hurt herself...I would love to find a cottage...that would be great for her...

We have a wagon...(it's a handmedown) and I found a shopping cart online at Toysrus.com, I didn't realize Bitty Baby was American Girl...so I've been scouring the website for things to go with it... :banana:

My 21-month-old loves her kitchen set (but they are expensive we got lucky and took it from a neighbor who had it out for recycling). She also loves her table and chairs and shopping cart. She loves to push anything around--shopping cart, doll stroller, cars, etc. The other thing I found very helpful was the Sesame Street doctor kit. We have been practicing going to the doctor and she isn't as bad when I bring her during the examination. She also loves the FP Little People. We got her the house and someone gave her the school bus last Christmas. She likes to pile all the people in and play the music on it.

As for toys that say 3+, I buy some, but my daughter is past putting most things in her mouth, so I'm not as worried about choking anymore. That is the only thing to really consider on them. Good luck!

Another thing that the little ones tend to love is those cute little character tents, for a girl I would pick up the princess castle one. I used to run a daycare and the tents were definitely a favorite!! I also agree with the majority about the kitchen and accessories this was also a favorite amongst all of my daycare kids!!

You can get kitchen bits that can actually be used in rl. So the little baking trays can actually go in the oven and pans that could go on the stove so long as the heat bit isn't too big for it. Think they're better than plastic ones cause you can play with them with or without real food. Great for making pies while mummy makes pies and then they can both go in the oven together.

Also like the little table and chairs - my 5 year old niece loved hers for her 5th birthday having played with one at her friends house, so they'll last a long time and are useful.

My feeling is definitly that you don't need to spend much money though.

Another thing we are hoping to get my daughter for Christmas is an art easel. She is just starting to like to do painting, coloring and such and I want a space where she can stand and paint. I think my parents are going to get her one for Christmas since they had bought my nephew one around this age as well.