What is going on?

I don't mind sharing copies of instructions that I have but recently I've been asked for copies by people that have no profile and in some cases have joined the same day. Leary is how I feel about these people and have decided to no longer share with newcomers that can't even fill out a profile page.

Another curious thing is a request from some woman to be her "friend" and to send her a picture of me. Has this website turned into a dating service? The message I received was quite explicit in her feelings.

Jerry

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jerry, I think that you should report this person to one of the administrators. That is definitely not what this site is about. I've noticed alot of newcomers who join to ask for instructions or information, then you never hear from them again, but at least that is mini related. This person should at least be let known that this is not appropriate.

This is sad. We can't get any peace and tranquility in the ONLY place we think we can have it: in our miniature world.

On another note, I was thinking about all the profiles I've seen that are dormant. Wonder how much space they are taking up and if the administrators ever "clean house"? Say, if you aren't active for so many months, they delete your profile. (I'm just saying...if you love this hobby as much as most of us, seems to me you would find some time to stop in.)

Sorry you had to endure that Jerry. Guess some people are just REALLY desperate for a mate.

I will admit that when I first joined it was really just to see everyone's pictures...but then when I started asking for help and everyone was friendly, it was easy to become a site that I liked to visit...and I'm still here, even though most of my projects I start I don't finish... :wave:

That being said...the admins. should definitely go through and get rid of some of these profiles...(make more space for us to upload our pictures!!!:() And I will not continue to be a member should I encounter some of this stuff...

I see that new members make friends with me, I'm wary of that feature...

This is the first time I have heard of that happening on here - although its probably not the first time it has happened. Sad people abound on the internet unfortunately and because of the anonimity it affords, are a bit braver than they would be in real life. Report her Jerry and I'm sure the admins will block her.

I have had new members ask to be friends, I always say yes - is there a risk there? I don't have much in the way of personal information on here, just mini stuff and I haven't had a problem yet. This site isn't like Facebook where loads of people ask to be your friend - I always check out their pics and if they have minis, I will usually say yes but otherwise I ignore them. I don't keep any personal info on Facebook either.

I think it's creepy that someone would go so far as to send you their picture! I'd definitely put them on my "do not respond" list, and report it!

As for dropping people who don't post, though ... I would hope that wouldn't happen, particularly if the person had been really active in the past. I speak from personal experience here...for lots of reasons I'll suddenly drop out of sight .. stop posting here..because I'm not working on anything mini, have other stuff happening in "real life" that has taken me away. Then when I can, I come back (like recently..and I'm easing back in..). I think that happens to lots of folks. As much as we'd love to devote gobs of time to our dollhouses or mini-work, sometimes other stuff just gets in the way.

Now, I DO suspect there are folks who have joined, only posted a handful of times, and then disappear... They would be good candidates to drop. But that would take a lot of time from someone who would have to go through each screenname and then see what the posting pattern was..and I'm not sure anyone at Greenleaf would want to spend THAT much time on this!

Anyway...creepy that you got sent a pic, unsolicited! :wave:

I came to this site to maybe find some nice people to "talk" with about a hobby that I love, even though I'm not a builder - yet. :wave: I stayed because this forum is so very well run and the people here are so very civilized - most forums I've been involved with usually had some hissing and clawing going on - I've never seen any of that here.

But I've also noticed a lot of people who have barely posted otherwise who are asking for house directions, and it did cross my mind to wonder if maybe some are then turning around and selling those directions, say, on eBay. People do sell those there, quite a lot. If so, how is one to tell someone who really did come into a rehab project that they really do need help with from the scammers? Don't know that you can.

As far as being "friended" by someone who has just joined this forum, it's happened to me a couple of times from someone who just joined the forum - and I felt really complimented because both times it was someone who had posted at least enough to be able to open a gallery album and then had posted photos of what they were working on, which was simply gorgeous. :(

Yeah, Jerry, you really should report this person to the Admins; when I first got here I was "followed" by someone who had been harassing me all over the internet for years and the Admins took care of it right away, in fact before I even knew it was happening. This has become a real safe haven to me and my home away from home and it's the Admins being responsible enough to not tolerate that sort of behavior that makes it such a wonderful place. That, and the best people in the world! -_-

October is the Month we see an increase of new members! Please have them go to Greenleaf Directly for copies of ANYTHING related to Greenleaf products. We have had spammers in the past month popping up. So be careful and if you get any "weird" please let me know about it or Fov (Emily) so we can take care of it!! Thank You to all of you who help us keep this community safe!!

Alot of the instructions for dollhouses now a days are all over web people just have to look better, Jims printables has alot Duracraft ones. As for this person and dating thing I would report that person to admin thats just tad weird! :wave:

Just to add my 2 cents on this topic. I had someone stalking me too from previous places and Minis on the Edge (Tracy) was able to take care of it right away. GL wants to keep this as a safe and fun place to share our miniature hobby (er, addiction) together.

So, my advice is to report suspicious activity immediately and help keep us all in a safe, fun and informative forum family.

This forum is the most unique and wonderful miniature world that exists anywhere. As I always say, thanks for this wonderful mini virtual family, Dean and company (Minis on the Edge and Fov and the other admin)

I don't think they drop you if you don't log in for a while. My job sent me across country for a year and a half on a special project during which I had very little free time (i.e. 12 hour work days & Saturdays). I don't think I logged in for a year and my account was fine when I finally had time to get back on the site.

Tappy

All of the posts by so many that are concerned about this happening tells me that I became a member of a great group. I am glad to be here with a lot of really upstanding people. Thanks, jennifer

Regarding people who show up once looking for help and then never come back, they probably found the site through a Google search and they're looking for help with something specific, not to become part of a community. I personally don't see a problem with this; I know I have joined other communities looking for help without the intention of sticking around forever. Last year I pickled some tomatoes and wasn't sure I did it right, and I posted on a gardening forum asking for help (and got a lot of helpful responses!). I didn't want to become part of the gardening community; I just wanted to know if my tomato pickles would give me botulism! I would have been irked if the reception I got was "Why are you asking us for help when you're not even a longtime member here?"

Likewise, I'd hate for new visitors to this forum to get the impression that they have to be in "the clique" before we'll help them with anything, and that's the impression ignoring requests for help or deleting profiles will give. Just saying. :( (Besides, some of these people never come back, but a lot realize what a great community this is and decide to stick around!)

As Tracy mentioned, people looking for Greenleaf instructions can be directed to Greenleaf's contact info here. Because of the way Google indexes information, links to the forum may be showing up when people search rather than the contact page itself, and they don't even realize contacting Greenleaf directly is an option.

If you get a message like this from someone and it makes you uncomfortable or you don't know how to answer, you can always forward it to me or Tracy and one of us will help out. And *any* inappropriate private messages, etc. should always be reported. Unfortunately spammers show up on the internet, and though there are some automatic methods of keeping them out, some issues can only be handled by human beings, and we can't deal with them if we don't know about them! :wave:

While I agree that the "trying to hook up" thing is creepy and unacceptable, I had to wonder: was this person a dollhouse fanatic looking for a guy who can keep her supplied in dollhouses? As I said, NOT acceptable . . . but, from a dollhouse lovers standpoint, perhaps just a teeny bit funny?

As far as the leaving and coming back . . . wow, has this ever been my year for that! I am glad we don't get tossed out when we have to disappear for a while. I've had surgery & problems from it this year, major family problems, and now (today) my beloved cat Liam is at the pet hospital fighting for his life due to a sudden, unexplained onset of kidney problems. The bill is already astronomical, and the outcome uncertain. For those of you who pray out there, PLEASE remember my beloved kitty in your prayers. He's like my child, and I am beside myself with worry.

And, about helping with instructions: it really pleases me to be able to help someone out when they need them: especially for an old, obsolete kit that perhaps they found at a yard sale, Craigslist, etc. . . I know how super excited I get when I find a kit for a song, and sometimes those kits are missing the instructions. I actually try to catalog every set of dollhouse instructions that I can find, even if I don't (yet . . . grin) even have the house. I scanned and sent a set like that to someone just the other day, and was excited I had the ones she needed even though I've never personally had that house.

I think sometimes that people are just looking for an answer. And that's fine, I love to help people, I just wish that they would give our forum a little closer look. If they are looking for a miniature/dollhouse answer, then they are obviously building a dollhouse or are at least interested in minis and this is the best place to be! Some just get the help they're looking for and mosey on, they don't know what they are missing! I too lurked long before I joined, and now I'm here every day!

First, I would like to say to everyone that I didn't realize the 'friend' thing was important. I never figured out how to use it, did not know it was anything important. I didn't know we were supposed to sign up, in order to be friends! So to all of you whom I consider friends, I'm sorry! :wave: That doesn't mean I'm going to spend the next few hours 'friending' people, just know that I luv ya!

Now about the folks who join and the first thing they do is ask for help...what's wrong with that? I was looking for information on building when I found this site. I didn't even realize it was for GL builders, as I had never heard of GL houses! I just found a place with lots of interesting conversations, and I realized there were people here able, and friendly enough, to help me, and I joined so I could ask questions and learn! You'd probably be surprised how many members started out that way. So don't shun them, give them a chance. They may turn out to be as charming, friendly, and talented as I am! :(

As for the perverts, spammers, folks trying to sell things...off with their heads!!

Wow - that should be reported to administrators and sooner rather than later.

Merry - I thinks I am one of the "old" people (literally :wave::( )

I seem to be popping in and out these days due to family issues. I sure would hate to be be dropped because I dropped off for a bit. That doesnt mean we dont want to be a part of this fantastic forum - but sometimes rl takes over. I know that I will be dropping of in a short bit again and it may be for quite awhile before I am back again.

That person was totally way out of line tho