What is going on?

First, I would like to say to everyone that I didn't realize the 'friend' thing was important. I never figured out how to use it, did not know it was anything important. I didn't know we were supposed to sign up, in order to be friends! So to all of you whom I consider friends, I'm sorry! :wave: That doesn't mean I'm going to spend the next few hours 'friending' people, just know that I luv ya!

Now about the folks who join and the first thing they do is ask for help...what's wrong with that? I was looking for information on building when I found this site. I didn't even realize it was for GL builders, as I had never heard of GL houses! I just found a place with lots of interesting conversations, and I realized there were people here able, and friendly enough, to help me, and I joined so I could ask questions and learn! You'd probably be surprised how many members started out that way. So don't shun them, give them a chance. They may turn out to be as charming, friendly, and talented as I am! :(

As for the perverts, spammers, folks trying to sell things...off with their heads!!

I'm like Sherry, I've not used the friending thing, because I think we are all friends here. And Sherry, you are charming, friendly and talented and so is everyone else here. We shouldn't shun a newbie asking questions, because we are a nice group of people and would never do that and we should never drop someone for not posting in awhile, they could come back. We are too nice to be mean to anyone except the perverts, spammers and those of that type!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Jerry! Can I have your picture? LOL I come back when I can. My Doug has needs and we 've been going to Helena a lot more this month than last. But I post when I can. I fired up the new baby kiln today but it's still too hot to open!

Speaking of new people, where are all the "old" people? :wave: ...
I'm OLD! and I'm still here.

I always look at the group the contact is assigned to. If they're banned, you have an option in your message board to block them. I would also block a spam group member. With Greenleaf's excellent track record I have no probelms referring anyone to the company for copies of the instructions, schematics, etc. And if a newcomer simply wants answers to questions, I see that as the primary function of this forum.

First, I would like to say to everyone that I didn't realize the 'friend' thing was important. I never figured out how to use it, did not know it was anything important. I didn't know we were supposed to sign up, in order to be friends! So to all of you whom I consider friends, I'm sorry! :( That doesn't mean I'm going to spend the next few hours 'friending' people, just know that I luv ya!

Now about the folks who join and the first thing they do is ask for help...what's wrong with that? I was looking for information on building when I found this site. I didn't even realize it was for GL builders, as I had never heard of GL houses! I just found a place with lots of interesting conversations, and I realized there were people here able, and friendly enough, to help me, and I joined so I could ask questions and learn! You'd probably be surprised how many members started out that way. So don't shun them, give them a chance. They may turn out to be as charming, friendly, and talented as I am! -_-

As for the perverts, spammers, folks trying to sell things...off with their heads!!

Uh-huh.

I always look at the group the contact is assigned to.

I dont understand what is meant be the group the contact is assigned to....can you explain that Holly? Where is that info found? How are we assigned groups? How do i see which group Im in?

I also dont know how to do quotes,lol

Just want to add my vote to not drop people that don't post for a while. I love this site and have learned so much but I didn't build or read the forum this summer because I lost my workspace when my kids came home from college. But when I got back, it was fun to see everyone's progress on their projects and people welcomed me just like when I first joined! Sometimes RL just gets in the way, don't cha know?

As to instructions, I guess it can go either way. My first house, I shared instructions with another first time builder and it worked out great (he was missing a section that I had.) Then I got a partially built DC Farmhouse that was missing instructions that I got from GrammyCal and we enjoyed a great conversation over time. But then, I got a request for instructions from a first timer and after sending them, total silence and they quit posting. Not sure what happened but hate to think they sold them on Ebay. But whatever.

Anyway, I love reading everyone's advice and sharing of ideas!

Kirsten

Right under each person's avatar there is a "group" they belong to. Karin, yours is "Platinum Member," and Holly's is "Team Master Builder." If it says "Banned" there that means the member has already been banned (probably because they posted spam or did something else they weren't supposed to). If it says "Spam" it means the forum has automatically tagged them as a spammer based on the content of their first few posts.

I'm actually surprised banned members can send PMs. I'm not sure if it's set up on purpose that way or not. However, the "Spam" label does occasionally get applied to people accidentally, if one of their first few posts contains a link. I try to fix those when I notice them (calling a legitimate poster a spammer isn't a very warm welcome!) but it might fall through the cracks sometimes. Just something to be aware of if you get a message from someone in the Spam group!

In order to do a quote, highlight the text in the post you want to quote and right-click to copy it, click on the "quote" icon

and then click your cursor between the middle brackets: ] * [

and it will look like this in the post:

I also dont know how to do quotes,lol

You can also click the "quote" button in the lower right of the post you want to quote, and if you want to quote more than one post in a single reply click on the "multi +" in each post you want to quote and then click on "add reply".

A few years ago Dean held contests every day through October since he's a huge Halloween Fanatic. What should have been a treat for all the members has turned into a curse. October sees all kinds of trolls hooking up so, unfortunately, Dean had to stop the fun we had that year. And that year was insane. Never to be forgotten.

Hello,

I'm sorry that this sort of thing has happened to anyone; there is no excuse for it.

Regarding dropping members who don't post much and then disappear for a while, I think that it's a bad idea. I don't post much, given how many years I've been a member, have disappeared for years and would be sad to come back and find my profile had disappeared. It also makes no sense from a business perspective. Were I to've found an invalid user ID when I did resurface, I probably would've been more likely to buy some other company's dollhouse next.

Adorabelle

I just want to clarify that I'm not talking about old people, and I'm not talking about people who come and go. I would spit it out and say what I'm thinking, but I tend to get into trouble that way.

For myself, I ask more questions than I answer. That's because I know nothing! When I know an answer - I'm thrilled.

Everyone here is my friend unless you don't like my dogs....then we need to talk. :wave:

:wave: I first joined looking for some advice. I had tried a bunch of other groups I found and this is the only one that I ever got a answer from. Then I started checking out pictures and reading posts. Once I made my own post I got hooked. I do have times when I have to stay off for periods of time but I like being able to come back when I can. I do think this must be the only forum in the world that really has moderators who take care of stuff. It's sad more sites are not like that. I HATE getting SPAM! And about the friends lists on here, exactly what is that for? Is there any benefit to it? I have some because I was requested but I never look at that page so I dont even know who they are. Glad I'm not the only one that wasn't too sure about that.

And about the friends lists on here, exactly what is that for? Is there any benefit to it? I have some because I was requested but I never look at that page so I dont even know who they are. Glad I'm not the only one that wasn't too sure about that.

It's a social networking "feature" that a lot of bulletin board software started adding a few years ago. I was working in web marketing at the time and several people in my group were really excited about adding it to our forums. I don't think it's very useful but it's part of the "web 2.0" movement (or maybe we're up to web 3.0 now? :wave: ) that tries to layer social networking elements on everything online. Along the same lines as every product in the world now having a Facebook and Twitter presence. (Today after I logged off my online banking, the closing screen was telling me to follow the bank on Facebook and Twitter. Really? Why, so they can tell me how little interest I'm earning?!)

:( That is funny. Next your bank will be posting on your facebook wall when your overdrawn. How nice would that be :wave: If there was a feature on here that let you see anytime someone on your friends list posted anything new then that might be neat. I mostly just click on "new posts" and "gallery" when I log on here.

And that year was insane. Never to be forgotten.

Fortunately we were able to convince the judge that the video tapes were faked and everyone got off on just drunk-and-disorderly charges. <cackle> I'm joking. No one was arrested.

Over the years a lot of friends have come and gone on the forum. We miss them when they disappear but there's always a welcome with open arms when they come back. Real life changes things and people don't always have time to be involved in an online community but I like to think that they pop in once in awhile and when they find that their login still works, it makes them feel loved. We never stop loving our friends and thinking about them even when they're not posting.

Deb

A few years ago Dean held contests every day through October since he's a huge Halloween Fanatic. What should have been a treat for all the members has turned into a curse. October sees all kinds of trolls hooking up so, unfortunately, Dean had to stop the fun we had that year. And that year was insane. Never to be forgotten.

Yeah, the search and destroy of Halloween. That was so much fun even though the site crashed..LOL I was like NOBODY TOUCH THAT COMPUTER! IT IS MINE!

I will not go into it but I have been stalked from here also so I know what you are talking about. So if you feel it is happening to you, do not hesitate to tell. The swiftness of the moderators got that person off my back..so to speak. :wave:

Stalking, like flaming and other breaches of internet etiquette, isn't tolerated here, so feel free to advise the mods. They and the administrators work VERY hard to keep this site safe, and I'm not one bit hesitant to narc on questionable behavior to keep it that way!

Mary, I think the "friends" feature might originally have been a way to manage contacts, but the membership has grown so far beyond what it was that I think we've outgrown any usefulness it might have had.

Thanks Holly, thanks Fov.

I dont know how I missed that Group title right under my name, lol.

Fov..every company except Greeleaf is on FB, which kills me! I asked several months ago if it was a possibility and was told no, maybe that will change (someday). I dont see how it could hurt, just a Greenleaf appreciation type page...many many places have websites,forums,blogs and FB. Im sure there would be several of us that would not hesitate to help moderate an FB site.

Deb, I know what you mean, I always notice when people arent around and wonder about them and always glad to see them again. I rarely ever see Doogsters posts and miss them because he's so witty....and no Im not flirting....lol:)

I wish we had a special "Memorial" place for members who are known to have passed away, so that we could remember them properly. I know of one and it makes me sad that on his profile and many pictures no one would ever know he had passed. His work was special and he was a very active member. I have specifically told my family that if anything ever happens to me to come and tell you all so you know why I disappeared, this group has been a daily presence in my life for years. Dont always post but I read and look at the Gallery every day. Just a thought!

Mini of us have personal reasons for not participating in internet social groups such as Facebook, among others. I find it refreshing to come here and not find everyone busily posting on the Facebook version of the forum.

I do like the idea of an In Memoriam section for those members we know who have left us permanently.

Ditto on what Holly said.

I'd be so sad if we lost this family in favor of a Facebook or some other social network. I don't participate in any of that type of internet. Just not my style.

I truly love all that this forum has to offer in so many different arenas. It's organized well in categories that are easy to locate so you can zip to the spot you want at the moment and another at some other time.

Thanks Dean and company for keeping our family unique.

I do think the Memorial section idea would be a wonderful tribute to those who have gone before us !