Working on the Pierce roof

Just One More

I have been having some problems making the shingles come out the way I want. Some are just slightly thinner than others and when you try to have them alternated by rows it doesn't alway work. Some rows come out even with the row below. I didn't shingle the gable on the porch over the door because of this. I painted it dark gray to match the porch floor. Now I have the front roof gable to the right of the tower giving me the same problem so thought I'd try that with no shingles to match the over the door gable. I'll try and add a pic here so you can see how it looks. Good, or awful? :wave: The picture didn't go in so I'll put in in my album.

They won't go in my album either. I'll try later.

Thanks Holly. I'll try that. I've only shingled a few times and usually Colonials. The angles on any other roof make me crazy.

I ordered new Pierce window sheets from Greenleaf and they came today. The windows had been put in before papering or painting by the original owner. I popped them all out and the frames for the most part popped out also. Hot glue :wave: I can make any other frames I need because I have the originals for patterns. It looks better already with all the dirty windows out.

I couldn't get my pics to go in my album today. It started and just stopped and never completed the upload. The entire porch is shingled now and painted black. What I love about black is it hides all the mistakes. The two front gables I painted to match the gray on the porch floor look nice. The tower roofs are gray also. I'll try and get some more pics in after I work on it awhile. Wallpapering is next. I need a break from shingles. :D

I don't mind shingling tower roofs, but on the Fairfields I spackled their roofs and then painted them copper and eventually I'll mix up a trace of verdigris to wash then to match the 1:24 lasercut lighthouse. For the Pierce I have some copper foil, I might try some of that for the tower roof and use the rest for the flashing on the roof.

I've always wanted to try the copper foil. I tried to get the tower top off so I could work on the interior but I'm afraid it will break. It's really on tight and has two coats of paint even before I painted it.

I would like to get the porch railings and posts from HBS next time they have a good sale. The porch pieces aren't too bad but I had to do several repairs and the HBS ones are really nice. The house would look great with them. This house is so big and I can't help wondering where I'll put it when it's finished.

I'm trying not to think agout that part. I might just recut the first floor (it's in lousy shape, and wants a new footprint), and if I do I'll just make new foundation pieces, too, to fit. The lattice is, to put it mildly, in very crappy condition.