Winter is Here - DANG IT!

woodland_miniatures

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our nights are dipping into the 50's and our days are in the low 80's..that's

Fall for me. .Halfway between Dallas/Waco!! :)

Its been about the same here, a few months early, but cold enough. I rode to Biketoberfest in Daytona today to get a pair of riding gauntlets for the cold rides in the morning.

Cold here, a crisp Fall. We're leaving tomorrow for two weeks' trip to Central FL for the All-Florida Paddlers; Rendezvous next weekend, and will be staying in the Ocala National Forest; so I'm hoping for reasonably comfy days.

Another hard freeze last night, seems to have settled in at least for a while. Haven't got out my "Frankenstein" foot gear yet - heavy women's work boots that work great in the snow - but I do know right where they are. Anytime now, I guess.

Holly, have a wonderful trip! Your package will be waiting when you get back! :)

It's warm here right now at 31 outside. It's 52 here in the house and very comfortable. What is all the complaints about?! Snowing? Use a shovel! Cold? Put a coat on? Cool in the house? Wear a sweater....... We are looking forward to the shorter days of winter and darker afternoons and evening. We live the mountains, and love to be snowed in!

It's lovely here on the ountain when you're snowed in and can't get out for a week or so. Doesn't bother me in the least....there is so much you can do! Hobbies! Cooking! Enjoying the pretty windows outside!

Wolfie - living in MOntana in the mountains and loving it!

lovely weather here finally. I have a week in the hills of NC starting next week. Jim and I are happy about an upcoming trip to Yellowstone in January. Of course the trepidation is over how two old Southern USA folks will stay warm enough to enjoy the wolves and snow. Lots a thermal stuff.

Sorry Wolfie..there are those of us who cannot, no matter how hard they try, adapt to winter.

Try as I might, I can't get warm. In order to afford the heat, we keep the thermostat low, and I've been known to wear a hat inside the house, and also gloves with the fingertips cut out. My circulation quits, my legs go blue, and so do my lips. My medical state just heaps insult upon injury, doubling my hatred for the cold.

I moved here from Baltimore, where the winters are much milder..and the day we arrived at our new home, the show was three feet deep, with whiteouts all around us. I almost told Zeb to stuff it, and I would have turned around and gone back down south if I'd had a place to stay.

I will never, ever learn to like the cold. I pray every day for Spring.

:)

I'm with you, Merrie. I left NYS for points south first chance I got, then got dragged, kicking and screaming, here to Outer Blizzardsville. I don't function when it gets cold. I wear longjohns, fleece, wool socks, a sweater and a hat, inside, to keep my heating bill within reason. Between the cold and the lack of sunlight, I'm a very grumpy bear from October to June. If I could move, I'd be gone so fast I wouldn't leave footprints.

Yay winter!! Ive been waiting for this winter all year long..but then again, Im in Florida. Since moving to Saint Lucie, Ive been seeing some things that I would never see in Miami, like pumpkin patches and harvest decor. I can only imagine that once the holidays start coming around, it will be beautiful out here.

We have all four seasons which is wonderful because we see the beauty of each.

When it's cold I do have to stay inside for physical reasons, but it doesn't keep me from looking out and seeing a beautiful snowfall.

I especially enjoy watching a snowfall when I smell cookies baking in my oven. :)

We're supposed to be getting our first snow on Monday, maybe - this is about the right time for us, there's usually some white stuff on the ground toward the end of October. Hmmmm, "cookies baking in oven" - I'm thinking pumpkin spice cookies or maybe oatmeal raisin with lots of cinnamon....YUM!! (maybe I won't wait until Monday LOL)

:) Mmm double dang it, snow slush, a "crisp" snow cover outside that hasn't budged that much during the day eventhough it has rained heavily on and off and now it is dropping to around 23F so it is definitley speed winter coming on... Hopefully we will get some more crispy clean fall days as the foilage is soooo gorgeous and I love fall so would definitley like to enjoy some more of it. Sheesh I just put some pumpkins outside as decorations...

Hugs

We're supposed to be getting our first snow on Monday, maybe - this is about the right time for us, there's usually some white stuff on the ground toward the end of October. Hmmmm, "cookies baking in oven" - I'm thinking pumpkin spice cookies or maybe oatmeal raisin with lots of cinnamon....YUM!! (maybe I won't wait until Monday LOL)

Why not both? :)

We've had a couple of light freezes this week, but temps have been mainly in the 50's during the day, with sunshine, so it feels nice.

I transplanted one of my fairy roses to the back yard, and I need to dig out another other two and some astilbe and iris bulbs. I had no idea the fairy roses could grow so big when I planted them. Nor did I know that Dutchman's Pipe was invasive and would take over any place it could reach. Gotta get my digging and rooting done before it gets really cold. They say that October & November are good times to transplant roses in Maine.

Yeah Graz, I have a few more tulips to plant before I really put the yard to bed. It has been colder in the mornings but nothing to complain about yet for me here in CT.

We have been lucky here in Minnesota. September in October. Today's high is going to 70. YAHOO! Way to go Mom Nature!!! Tomorrow rain comes. I'll be outside all day. It's left overs for supper tonight. I could take weather like this until January, then several weeks of snow so the skaters, skiiers and snowmobilers have something to do.

The guys worked past dark last week to get up all the fallen leaves and then we got the winds, snow dusting and rain. We are now covered again with lots of leaves. The dogs seem to drag them into the house every time they go in and out through the doggy door but if I close it I am their "doorman" and with three dogs that can be a never ending chore! Its overcast today but no rain and so maybe things will have a chance to dry out.

We're waiting on the "first winter storm of the season" here, it's supposed to rain/snow/blow like crazy tomorrow, with the first serious snow up in the mountains happening Monday and maybe Tuesday. I don't mind the rain or the snow, the blowing I do not like one bit - that's when it REALLY gets cold, and I'm also glad I have a stockpile of batteries laid in, coz we just might lose power, too. UGH!! Thankfully it's not my job to rake leaves and such - there are advantages to living in an apartment building with a hired maintenance guy! :)