Hello from Georgia!

Toy Nicole

Hi everyone! I'm Nicole and live in GA. I've only built one other doll house, many, many years ago. I recently started the Colonial CH-300 by Dura-craft. I found the kit at an estate sale from 1979...whoo Hoo! I know i will have many questions but am just lurking and learning at the moment. Glad to be here!

Nicole

• Like 1

Thank you, everyone! I'm in the burbs of southwest Atlanta. I was thrilled last night when I got to the step of building the front door area and didn't find the parts in the box. I went back to the estate sale on the last day and bought a huge box of misc. bits and pieces and voila! There are all the shutters, gables, staircases, shingles....boy am i glad I returned and got all of that stuff.

on a beginners note....I needed a safe surface to work on so I used my dress makers/fabric cutting board. It covers my work area and has a 1" grid on the whole thing...perfect for lining up 90* angles, measuring pieces and keeping everything neat and tidy....highly recommend!

Boy is it looking good!!!!

Nicole

• Like 1

Thank you, everyone! I'm in the burbs of southwest Atlanta.

Boy is it looking good!!!!

Nicole

Nicole, I'm in McDonough, so not far from you at all!

Congrats on your finds! Sounds like you're having fun! :)

Oh, and when you've made 5 posts, you can start a gallery to show us pictures of your progress. We love pictures!! :D

Hi Nicole and welcome to the Greenleaf Forum! What a lucky break that you returned to pick up the box of "bits". So cool!And thanks for that tip on the grid -excellent idea.I can see that you'll fit in here just fine..and hopefully will have lots of fun too! :)

Hi and Welcome Nicole! I am pretty new here myself and working on my first right now. I want to know how in the world some of you come across these lucky buys at estate and yard sales??? :) After looking and looking I finally broke down and paid the big bucks because I just couldn't wait any longer to start! I hope you post pics along your journey! Best wishes to you! :D jennifer

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...

Hey Nicole, I know it's been a long time to revive this post but I'm taking a chance.  I won the CH-300 kit as "New in Box" from an auction a few weeks ago to build for my daughter's birthday.  Of course the instructions were missing so I ordered a copy of the instructions off ebay from a vendor.  Apparently there are at least two versions of the CH-300 which are fairly different.  Certainly different enough to tell the difference if they were side by side.  The instructions I have show a split staircase in the middle of the house.  My kit has a single flight that is at one of the ends of the house.  Do you by chance still have your instructions available to scan and PDF?  Or would you be able to take a few detailed photos of the interiors so I can see some of the pieces. 

Thanks in advance, 

Mike

Hi, Mike, this thread is nearly 7 years old.  If you click on Nicole's username you can go to her pofile page and from there to her albums, if she posted any pictures of her build.

Why not post an introduction?

Mike, don't forget you can also replace the Duracraft stairs and place them wherever you want in the house. It's easy to take a jigsaw or a blade and cut a new stairwell opening and then you might be able to use that to fill the old stairwell opening.

Sorry, the stairs aren't really my main issue.  I think I can figure those out with the pieces I have.  I was just using that to differentiate the two kits that I know exist.  

My problem is that I have a lot of pieces that are missing according to the instructions and a lot of extra pieces that aren't called out in the instructions.  So I'm assuming that the pieces that I have are due to it being a different iteration of the design.  For the most part the missing pieces are the cut to size gable, floor, and partition trims that wrap around the large wall and floor panel edges (see photo of parts list).  I do have some extra 1/4x1/4 sticks that may have been intended to be glued edge to edge without the recess but I would like to confirm before committing.   I also do not know how to assemble the window frames.  

This is my first miniature project ever!  When I was kid I remember helping my dad paint some of the dollhouses that he made for some of my nieces.  

Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg

Mike welcome to the forum, if you're open to advice I would find a complete kit to make, why make it so hard on yourself, especially with your first project. 

Speaking from experience because I've put myself thru this several times with supposed great deals on kits bought via Craigslist. Cut your losses (in time and frustration) and use the incomplete kit for spare parts, furniture building, flooring, extra trim etc.

• Like 1