An issue concerning the Chantilly's Porch

MerriMagic

Ok, I've finally gotten the porch on the chantilly..but I'll tell ya what...I could NOT get those tabs to line up.

What I've ended up doing, is removing the tabs on the roof supports, and the top tabs of the bay window as well..and I have attached them using narrow trim underneath, into each joint line..rather like moulding around the inside of a room where the walls and ceiling meet. It will be a very strong 'weld'..but I was very frustrated. I'll also put some flashing around where the porch roof joins the walls of the house.

Other than that...the porch looks awesome!

Try as I might, those tabs and slots would NOT line up. Anyone else have this issue?

:)

Not the exact same issue, but I had a struggle getting the porch roof tabs line up too. It was the Laurel's porch roof.

To this day I regret that I didn't do what you did.

If the Laurel hadn't been my very first house (plus I was a total newbie) I would have done away with those tabs right away, and proceeded with your solution. The outcome would've been far better, I'm sure.

But I had already glued the porch roof in place, I didn't want to try and get it off, and the damage to the slots and tabs had already been done. Darn inexperience.

I had trouble getting the porch roof tabs to align on my half scale Chantilly so I had to trim them a little. I also didn't have enough stair pieces and had to cut them. Funny thing is, I don't have enough stair pieces for the 1/2 Rosedale either!

Audra, you had the 1/2 scale Chantilly, right? Mine was a full size.

I really don't regret cutting off those tabs..the additional wood I added under the roof reinforces both the roof and the porch posts...I think it's actually MUCH stronger weld.

I haven't tackled the steps yet..I'm a wee bit intimidated, lol. Guess that means that's what I'll do next, huh? *sigh* Sometimes ya just gotta hold your breath and dive in.

:)