REALLY NICE STUCCO..

MerriMagic

Well, I finally got around to stuccoing the front of Mystic Moggie. (at 3 a.m. this morning, LOL)..and I used a product that has really pleased me.

I found the texturizer, called "Red Devil Paint Texturizer" at Home Depot. $4 will get you a package that will normally do a gallon of paint..but I tripled up on it to get a really, really coarse stucco effect, and it looks so good! (I'll get a pic into my Mystic Moggie album later on today).

The stuff doesn't create a thickened mush, like oatmeal, nor does it feel like plaster when mixed with the paint. I think it's actually very very VERY tiny nonporous microbeads, and it won't change the color of your paint at all. It has only taken two coats of the stuff to create a really dramatic stucco..

Also, if you have leftover mixed stucco, it doesn't seem to dry out or lump together when placed in an airtight container. I just looked in the jar I mixed up, and there's no 'skin' on the surface..so you can mix it, and use any leftovers later on for another project.

While I don't think it would be easy to create a troweled pattern on a dollhouse's small surface area, it really looks great! So I had to give it a thumbs up for those of you who shop at Home Depot. Not sure if it's a HD product tho..you might be able to get it elsewhere.

So...moving right along! I finally got my baby stuccoed!

:D

Jeanne I like this idea and might give it a go on the Buttercup that needs help. I had painted the outside red intending to use it for my Christmas house but now it needs to be something else. I did not like the spackle version of stucco but I admire anyone who has the skill to make that particular treatment look good. I don't have the knack apparently.

• 4 weeks later...

Jeanne, did you apply the trim, windows etc before or after you did the stucco? Your house looks terrific!

I really want to stucco the Bobbie, but my experiment with stucco patch didn't turn out at all well. If I stucco first, will I still be able to put up the trim? Thanks.

Kirsten

Kirsten, whenever I want a stucco finish I first lay the trim pieces in place and trace around them and mask them off with masking tape. After applying whatever stucco (I'm, of course, partial to spackling compound), whilst it's still damp I remove the stucco. Once it's completely dry I apply the trims.

I stuccoed the trading post with the trim on, since it is a rehab. I was just careful about it, and put tape over the tops of the windows and trim, door and trim. But adobe houses are built with the window frames, door frames, and vigas, imbedded in the adobe, so I wanted it to cover the edges, since they do not stick out above the stucco. But it can be done if you are careful, although it would be easier to just tape off where your window frames and door frames go, and stucco around the tape, then glue the frames on later.