Anyone interested in this?

Don

I am new to this forum and new to the mini world. I am a furniture builder, woodworker and carpenter by trade. I have to admit that I'm curious about the world of miniature. I have always built in our human scale and wanted to build something that would duplicate what I do on a much smaller scale. My father used to sell into the miniature/doll house market and has told me about it, so I decided to try my hand at it. What I have built is a set of 1/12" scale spiral stairs. It is very close to being the "correct" specs of what would pass for a code correct set of stairs in the full size world. I have built custom spiral stairs in the past that you can see on my web site www.rusticcocoon.com. Basically what I did is duplicate these into miniature scale, including the bent one piece handrail. So I just checking to see if there would be any demand for this item in the miniature market. I would be delighted to get any feed back about this. I'm thinking about making these in kit and assembled versions.

Thanks, Don

I will put some pics of these smaller stairs on my web site and once I figure out how, I'll put them on this site.

Hi Don...why don't you introduce yourself, also, in the newcomer's forums. I think you'll find the world of miniatures very satisfying. We have a few members here who even build their houses from scratch, meaning they build from the ground up, exactly as if they were building a real house..every single detail!

We're always pleased to meet new artisans. After 5 posts you can use the album and gallery features to put your pics, k? We'll be delighted to get to know you and see your work.

:)

Hi Don! Welcome to the mini's! Now that you have five posts, you should be able to add pictures!

I personally would be very interested in a spiral stair kit, and have been contemplating on making my own for some time now. I have not worked out the details on how to have it come out onto a roof top porch without exposing- the house to the elements! :)

I also need my steps to go up 11 inches instead of the standard 8 or 10 inches.

My suggestion for a kit is to have it be adjustable in order to fit in different sized houses. I also think there would be a market for pre-made ones, but I like to build things from kits, which are kind of hard to find anymore.

I look forward to seeing your other mini-creations!

--Nan :)

Thanks, Nan

I could probably make an 11" set of spiral stairs, in kit form. I would just have to work out the parts dims. Also, I think you could make a roof top exit like you see in real size. Most roof top stairs have a small room with exit door built onto the roof. It looks a lot like a small shed sitting on the roof deck. You see these on most tall buildings that have no other way to get on top of the roof.

Don

Very nice. By chance, Don, would you be able to build a set of stairs like the ones in the picture I am attaching. Unfinished. I can't find anyone who makes them, and I would like to design a house around a set of stairs like this. I need the larger curved bottom stair and curved spiral rail.

post-797-1288912690_thumb.jpg

Hi Sally G

Although I have built this type of stairs in human scale, I've yet to do it in miniature. I think the only difficult part would be making the "volute" :) which is the round bottom part of the hand rail. I would need a handrail profile to match it to and locate a source for ballusters (spindles) and newel posts. No promises, but I'll see if this is possible.

Thanks, Don

I have been looking for the type of stair Sally showed too!!! It seems like the stairs available only have one option for newel posts. I would love to see kits where you could pick your own posts and spindles, sort of mix and match style. Beautiful work.

Hi Sally G

Although I have built this type of stairs in human scale, I've yet to do it in miniature. I think the only difficult part would be making the "volute" :) which is the round bottom part of the hand rail. I would need a handrail profile to match it to and locate a source for ballusters (spindles) and newel posts. No promises, but I'll see if this is possible.

Thanks, Don

How wonderful!!! I have been searching forever for a set of stairs like this and never been able to find them. I have seen them on a rare occasion in a dollhouse. I have a southern mansion plan in mind and a staircase like that would be magnificent!!!

Love the spiral stair Don- count me in for at least one when you have them available- and stair such as the one pictured earlier would be terrific too-

I think it would be awesome to recreate Tara- the mansion from Gone with the Wind- and of course the huge staircase in the center of the entry with the volutes on both sides. Probably fairly pricey I would think.

Kathy

I used "tiny turnings" for my spindles on my stairs. They have several styles, and come in 6 inch lengths that you can cut to size. There are several on-line places to order them. They were easy to stain and quite nicely done too. :)