Daylight Savings Time

KathieB

Is the switch from DST a challenge to anyone besides me? I'm usually an early riser, but today I woke up way before the crack o' dawn. Will go back to bed in a few minutes, but that usually produces energetic and/or anxiety producing dreams, not restorative sleep. I'll be yawning for the next several days.

It gets me that way, too - which is why I'm just now rolled out of bed and reading your post, Kathie! And it's only 3:30 a.m. here (PST), and yes, I did get at least some of my clocks turned back. I'll be up for hours now, and then back asleep in the middle of the day - BLAH!! Well, I'll go listen to the BBC on the radio for a while, they've always got interesting things Sunday mornings. B)

Which BBC station do you listen to Mary?

We had our time change last week (always last weekend in October). Woke up early, but not that early. I'd normally wake up around 8 on weekends, then go back to sleep if I can, or just snooze a bit. So woke up around 7 new time, but no earlier than that. Do you normally wake up around 4:30? Or was it just extra early today? Have you tried just staying up and going to bed a little earlier tonight rather than have the not nice dreams (and no useful sleep anyway)?

I don't notice it much, wake up an hour early, but sometimes have to get up earlier anyway, so doesn't make a difference. Notice that I get tired around an hour earlier in the evening, so usually am in bed a little earlier, and by the next day it feels like I've been 'reset' already.

Muriel, the National Public Radio stations I listen to (several, streaming on-line) all seem to carry the BBC's World Service during the night, so I often listen. Got interested enough that I have bookmarked BBC - Radio 4, which I'll listen to fairly often. Love the nature and history shows! B)

I dunno, my sleeping hours have been so irregular the last several months that I could just as likely have been up that early this morning anytime, either waking early or still up late LOL. One thing I've noticed in the past is that Koko gets a little off-balance about his meal-times when there's a time change and that it takes him several days to get sorted out. Then he's right back to being so regular you can set your clock by him: 6 a.m. and 6 p.m., and he wants his food right then, no nonsense please. :)

Lol, extended shift doesn't seem fair! (but guess it does need covering)

When we had cats they'd eat whenever they could B) Mornings they'd start meowing the minute you turned over in bed anywhere from about 5 onwards. Evenings, if you were in the kitchen and they heard you, they came. And any other time of the day if they heard a tin opening (and they heard it from 3 high ceiling floors away!) they were there in seconds. Quite amusing watching them sleeping on your bed, then ears pricking and about 10 seconds later you could hear them meowing in the kitchen 3 floors down :) I do miss cats!

My four kitties act up when it starts getting dark earlier even before the time changing. They woke up ready to go an hour earlier this morning. I leave their dry food out and don't keep them in my room at night with the door closed anymore. Callie used to have to stay in the bathroom at night. Now they all just have the run of the house and so far, no major problems. Twiggy will come and paw at my pillow in the morning because she has decided she wants a little warm water in her dry food. If I don't get up she will bring me a dollhouse pillow or one of the dollhouse dolls and drop it on the bedroom floor meowing. She knows that will get me up. B) She is so funny. Other than that, they all seem to be happy just waiting for me to get up. The time change was harder when I still had to go to work. :)

The fall time change doesn't really bother me much, other than that today will seem endless. But the spring change messes me up for weeks.

When I had animals, the time changes were such a pain, literally a pain for the milk goats. Their udders were ready at the same time, no matter what the clock read.

DST....phooey!!My roomate said the cats were jumping all over her bed at 4am instead of 5...hunger.And I had a fit when one of the Greyhounds came flying in my room at 3:15 to go out. Sometimes wish I had a "doggie door" but the Greys are so big that there's no telling what would walk in our house!! LOL! But I did manage to go back to sleep

this am.ZZZZzzzzzzzzzzz. B)

Worked thru the change last night, so my 12 hour shift became a 13, I hate Benjamin Franklin.

It wasn't invented by Ben Franklin, it was officially invented by some Englishman in the late 1800's. The reason I know this is because by son was asking why we have DST anyway. Ben just suggested people get up an hour earlier in summer, but apparently some ancient cultures used to adjust their summer days to summer daylight anyway.

I hate going back to standard time. It was getting too dark too early around here to suit me, and I've been feeling low. Now that it's dark even earlier, I'm feeling even gloomier.

Around this time of year I often find myself dozing off and wanting to go to bed around 8:00. It takes a while for me to adjust.

DST....phooey!!My roomate said the cats were jumping all over her bed at 4am instead of 5...hunger.And I had a fit when one of the Greyhounds came flying in my room at 3:15 to go out. Sometimes wish I had a "doggie door" but the Greys are so big that there's no telling what would walk in our house!! LOL! But I did manage to go back to sleep

this am.ZZZZzzzzzzzzzzz. B)

This is exactly what happened to me!!! Our greyhounds expect to bed fed and go outside at the EXACT time every day. I couldn't go back to sleep, of course! haha!

I think the whole DST thing is lousy (obviously Ms Grumpy here does not adjust well to the time change!). I wish the country could just pick one or the other and stick with it! My pets haven't changed their clocks either! I figure what ever savings occurs by adjusting the clocks is totally eclipsed by the lost productivity as everyone tries to adjust. And besides, when we can't see, we are going to turn on the lights, whether it is morning or evening.

Tappy

The time change doesn't usually bother me much, but this time it has sure taken a beating on me, I couldn't get to sleep last night I had to sit up and read until after midnight and then when I finally did get to sleep I tossed and turned until 4:00am when finally I gave up and sat up in bed and read for another three hours until it was time to get my kids up and ready for school. It is a good thing I have the day off from work today because I am sure going to need a nap this afternoon!!

I stopped to visit a friend at her shop today to show off my thrift store haul (7 HOM kits @1.25 and 3 Houseworks hardware packs at .75 B) among other goodies) and she was all flustered because she'd wanted to leave early and a customer had hung around for ages, and I'm "uhh, why can't you leave early?" "Bbbbbbecause it's already after 5:30." "I think you forgot to change your clock?" We had a good laugh over that. :)