What's the Best DH Tip/Advice You've Received

Merry

The best dollhouse advise I ever got was right here. Charlene wrote a little tutorial on crown moulding and now it comes out perfect. I cut

baseboard and everything else but the darn crown moulding just about gave me hissy fits.

Oh and Casey and Tessie are great too.. Those two are my heros!!!!!

Oh, I've received SO many great tips (to include a book authored by my favorite dollhouse shop owner before he closed his doors, Mr. Gary of Miniatures From the Attic)!!

I think the "make templates for the flooring (and walls if you like) & use double-sided tape to adhere it" is the best. It allows for working on the flooring without having to work in "tight" spots and if there's any wiring issues, it's much easier to lift the flooring/wallpaper to get to the wiring issues or to even remodel later!

All the advice I have received here had been brilliant but the thing that stayed with me was the fact that a mistake isn't the end of the world, there's very few that can't be put right or worked around. Once that was embedded in my head, everything seemed so much easier because I wasn't afraid of messing up.

I just recieved my best tip a few days ago.

When cutting a hole in a dollhouse wall, it's a lot easier to carve the unwanted portion of the wall out, instead of making a straight on. Carving the wall taking little angled ribbons of material away … lots of small, gentle cuts is safer and easier than taking big chunks.

:bear:

To completely read instructions before starting, identify and label parts. Fortunately I have a room in the basement that the retriever and Basset Hound can't get to or my system would not have worked!

Years ago I bought a Greenleaf Laurel/Primerose Doll House Kit on E-bay. I looked up

the company on the internet and clicked on "community" and found this Forum.I found

a wonderful company with "made in America"products, excellent kits with fairly easy directions,Kits of all kinds,excellent customer service-met all kinds of wonderful people,learned a ton of tips and advice.So I guess my best advice/tip was from ME...

that lucky day when I clicked on Greenleaf!(Sounds like a commercial!Ha!) :bear:

Years ago I bought a Greenleaf Laurel/Primerose Doll House Kit on E-bay. I looked up

the company on the internet and clicked on "community" and found this Forum.I found

a wonderful company with "made in America"products, excellent kits with fairly easy directions,Kits of all kinds,excellent customer service-met all kinds of wonderful people,learned a ton of tips and advice.So I guess my best advice/tip was from ME...

that lucky day when I clicked on Greenleaf!(Sounds like a commercial!Ha!) :bear:

I agree! I have received so MUCH great advice and ideas here, I couldn't pick just one. (Although "spackle and trim can fix anything" is pretty close to the top of the list!)

Kirsten

I keep a container of "baby wipes" beside me at all times. I use them to wipe paint and glue off my hands (and pretty much every other inch of my body, including my hair) They are also great to clean oozing glue or dripping paint, and a quick swipe after sanding on small parts. I've even used them to clean my minis because they remove dust, dirt and sticky residue. Plus, they smell good and dry fast without saturating wood or fabric. I prefer the thicker ones even if they cost a tiny bit more.

Secondly and more importantly, there is a wealth of knowledge on this forum and it is the go to place for any questions or problems you have. I have been taught, encouraged, supported and helped by the members who gladly share experience. There are no stupid questions here.

From a blog I discovered early on: If you make it look like the picture on the box, you're a crafter. If you look at the picture on the box, and make it your own unique creation, you're an artist.

Not that I'm anywhere near artist-dom, but at least that advice shut up the little demoralizing gremlin in my head that was always yammering "bbbbbbbuttt it's not perrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrfect."

Charlene posted a tutorial for cutting crown molding. I was about to throw in the towel, but I can honestly say that crown molding is no longer my worst enemy! Yea!!! I've conquered crown molding. If I can conquer crown molding, I can conquer anything! :giggle:

Also, and please forgive me because I forgot who it was, but someone gave me a hint on wallpapering. They said to paste in the middle piece first, then the next pieces can overlap a teeeny bit but you can't see any overlapping.

Great advice from great people. :doh:

• 2 weeks later...

Basically "if a task seems daunting, just take it one little step at a time and soon enough it will be done" Goes for life and minis equally!

LITTLE BY LITTLE.

One step and then another,

And the longest walk is ended;

One stitch, and then another,

And the largest rent is mended;

One brick upon another.

And the highest wall is made;

One flake upon another.

And the deepest snow is laid.

Then do not look disheartened

O'er the work you have to do,

And say that such a mighty task