MonsterFace is gone

heidiiiii

post-583-1290434867_thumb.jpg

He passed away overnight. Fred found him in the basement. MF had a bad addiction to plastic. Ever since he was little. I thought I was diligent enough to keep it away from him but I guess I was wrong. Late on Saturday he was throwing up food and plastic bit and parts of grocery bag. The Vet was already closed and does not have an emergency line. I made him as comfortable as I could on Sunday and he found a place to pass away overnight. He was four years old.

I am devastated over this. It is not like he was an old man and that is the way it goes. I am going to go and try to keep my mind off of this.

Oh, Heidi, honey - I'm so very sorry. We can try and try to keep them safe, but can never really protect them from everything. PLEASE don't beat yourself up over this - you did a wonderful job loving him and being a good mom to him, and sometimes they just insist on doing things they shouldn't - we can try, but we can't stop it. And it's just heartbreaking!

{{{{{{{Heidi}}}}}}}

Heide, You gave MonsterFace a good home and lots of love and I know he loved you for that. Don't feel guilty about being unable to stop his passion for plastic. You did what you could to keep him safe from himself. It's hard to loose a pet but when you feel sad just think of all the good times you had with him.

So sorry, heidi! They do have a bad habit of eating things they shouldn't. Seems that animals who do that will just eat something else if they don't have the plastic. My cousin was babysitting her son's dog and it ate a pair of panty hose! She had to take him in for bowel surgery one night, all by herself. You just can't foresee everything an animal will get into. Big hugs to you!

Thank you all.

I am doing better and so are the girls. I cleaned the kitchen from top to bottom today and I put out some Christmas lights. I will pay for it tomorrow (pain) but I had to keep my mind occupied to keep myself from crying.

It was very sudden. Even if we could have gotten him to the vet, we could have never afforded the surgery.

I will feel guilty about the plastic until i will not anymore. I will get over it. Just not today. I had a carbfest of pasta puttenesca and I am going to watch some tv here in a bit.

So sorry for the loss of your beloved baby..It takes a very long time to get over a loss especially when they're so young.. When I lost my little "Carly" (small Bichon Frise), It hurt so bad because she was 10, but she still looked and acted like a little puppy to me.I could not get through a day without thinking about her and feeling the hurt. This past year (2 years after she passed), I got a new puppy that reminds me of her. It really helped to take away some of the pain. :giggle:

:doh: Oh Heidi, I am so very sorry for your loss. What a terrible shock for all of you. Please take care of you and yours, and don't be hard on yourself - you gave MF a wonderful home and loads of love, which is the best gift we can give our beloved furbabies while they are here with us.

Sending you gentle hugs :giggle:

OMG I'm so sorry to hear this. You're living my nightmare..our Barneybob is fixated on plastic bags. Zeb keeps forgetting to be careful and BB gets hold of the plastic bags our newspapers come in, because Z just tosses them on the floor.

I've told him if BB gets sick, I'm going to cram one of those bags down HIS throat. Let him see how it feels.

I haven't a clue why some cats do this..if you watch them, they seem to 'grin' and chew the plastic with a corner of their mouth. I think it may have something to do with plaque on their teeth. I've seen cats use broomstraws like toothbrushes..drawing the straw from end to end through their teeth. They seem to be trying to do the same thing with the bags...making a funny chew face that really isn't so funny.

Again I'm soo sorry to hear of your loss. I'm sure you did your best to keep that stuff away from him..but sometimes they just seem to be able to find an opportunity to chew when you least expect or notice it. If you're feeling guilty,...Please don't beat yourself up about it. You did the best you could.

Hugs

Jeanne

Jean,

Researchers have found that some cats are attracted to the tallow in the plastic (animal fat) and if it is not the tallow..they like the way it feels in their mouth. My Mom had a cat that liked to lick Polaroid pictures.

Wow, Heidi I know that is tough, and you are wishing you could have stopped this. I really understand. We can only do so much to protect our fur babies. Rushing to the vet may not have help anyway. I lost a darling cat to an single nip on an electric cord. We had no idea what was wrong with her, just she stopped eating and meowed constantly. (pain, obviously) Took her to the vet and a with a full physical, he discovered and showed us burn marks on top of both sides of her fangs in her gums. Apparently, electrocutions usually happens quickly, but it took a week for her system to fully shut down, and they weren't able to save her. So we did have a hefty hospitalization, fluids and med bill that probably prolonged her suffering, trying to save her.) I had to check every cord in my house TWICE before I found the damaged one. Honestly, it was barely there, no exposed wires, but two distinct small shallow puncture marks in the cord. It was behind the TV and was to my closed captioned decoder. She was the nicest cat we ever had, and we have had quite a few and are down to one. Cherish your memories, MF will be waiting on the Rainbow Bridge patiently for you, and knows you did what you could. Hugs to you and your family!

That makes sense...I think they like the feel of it because if their teeth have any unusual deposits of plaque (some cats get more, more quickly than others) it annoys them.

Barneybob is a cat who gobbles his food, then runs to the other plates to eat the other kitties' food. Then he'll vomit because his somach is overfull, depositing bacteria and acid in his mouth, so he has problems with his teeth. He won't stand for me to floss him, and I can't get his teeth cleaned more than every year (vet doesn't agree it's necessary) so his mouth becomes irritated with gingivitis.

Barneybob was also very sick with a bacterial infection when a kitten, and required massive doses of antibiotic to survive. His teeth are likely somewhat damaged from that as well, the enamel is thinner.

Ack polaroid film..it's composite is partly pork byproducts..that's why they like that stuff.

Well, whatever the reason, some cats are dedicated chewers..and a good rule of thumb is..if you don't chew on it, definitely keep it up where cats can't get to it.

A side note: Many human over the counter meds such as Pepto bismol and it's generic counterparts, are routinely reformulated..and they now may contain asprin or tylenol.

Sometimes even the vets don't catch this, (No one can be everywhere, and know everything, all the time) and may even Rx them for your kitties.

Drugs change so fast they may slip 'under the wire'..and they can become dangerous literally overnight. Information just can't get to your vet in time..the products might be on the shelves before docs have had the chance to review the new specsheets.

Don't self medicate or give your kitties anything before checking on ingredients each and every time they're sick. What's new and reformulated might great for us, but may kill your kitty. It's tedious to do this, but if the end result is that you get to keep your cat alive..it's worth it.

Here's a good site for kitties, concerning drugs and why they should not be given to cats.

:giggle: