Somerset show

:) Just a thought, but I see a lot of new members in Pennsylvania. I was wondering if there were enough of us around Somerset,Pittsburg,Johnstown to put on a show next year,if we all got together? I don't travel much because of my animals so it's just the Westmoreland show once a year. But, it's a thought.bergie
  • Like 1

Linda, I don't make stuff for sale. Probably because once I make one of a thing, I hate to duplicate. Easily bored and all that. But I could certainly display. And so would my sister. How does one go about starting a show, anyway?

Yeah, we were in the Greenberg show this year,too. And last year. It's a long dry stretch between that once a yearshow. I thought if I got enough okays from whoever wanted a table to sell stuff, I'd put it together.But I'd need some for sure replies by the beginning of January?Maybe have it in April or May? If anybody's interested,let me know.Maybe could get some sellers from the Greensburg show,tooo?Maybe?bergie

So what kind of a show were you interested in? A "sharing" show with displays from local hobby and professional miniaturists? Or a "show & sale" with both displays and vendor booths? A single day event - or a 2-day weekend affair?

For a two-day event, you could offer classes from a local artisan...or if that is too much money for attendees, perhaps several volunteers could do 45 min-1hour demo's on such things as tape-wiring a room box, wallpapering, demo how to make stone work from egg cartons, how to dress a bed or make curtains, etc. Charge a nominal fee for each demo.

It would be nice to have one of the Pittsburgh area mini shops to be a sponsor - to help defray costs from advertising. Is there a local NAME club that could help?

There would be some costs involved- mostly advertising and room rentals. Those costs can be recouped by charging an admission fee, or even an entry fee. Vendors are charged a fee for their space, and can be required to give an item for a door prize.

Advertising should be done in local newspapers and even mini magazines, on all mini related online forums, in local mini shops, info cards given to organizers of other shows to hand out during their events, etc.

Room rentals can be minimized by using a local community center or church, as opposed to a hotel facility. However, location is key-make it a facility that is easily accessable from main highways for those traveling from out of the area.

Have your most organized person or two to act as the coordinators! :) Someone will need to be responsible for pre-registration of vendors and display entrants, as well as coordinating rentals, etc. And of course you will need several volunteers to help with set-up, running the show and tear-down.

Shows can be a lot of work, but a lot of fun as well. I've been involved with cake decorating shows for many years and loved it.

If you guys decide to do one, I will come from the eastern part of the state to visit it! :)

First answer - the Greenburg show goes on once a year and benefits the Westmoreland hospital.It's a show with vendors. Okay.I am very into doing a show. I think if we get enough okays to start by the end of December, I'll price a rental place.Thinking of maybe in Somerset since that is right on the turnpike (exit 110).If we have enough people who want to get a table and sell, I'll do all the promoting and renting,etc. It'll be my baby. And if we have enough, I'll contact the vendors from greensburg,too. I think if I get answers by the beginning of January, it will work. Also, I'd like to keep the table price down from the other show for the vendors, give us more of a chance to have to sell less to cover costs? Let me know. You can even pm me here. For those of you at the Greenburg show, our table was the wierd papawolf one.

okay,we'll leave it at that for now. I'll check in and post and if anybody really wants to do a show, let me know.Will check back. There are a lot of places in Somerset right by the turnpike,the Quality Inn - used to be the Ramada. But no sense in getting a place rented, etc., if nobody wantsd a table. Keep in touch and let me know.We'll decide by January, i guess. Like I said, if it'll work, I'll phone the dealers who were at the Greensburg show,too and see what happens. Linda

I want to go ahead with that idea about a show sometime in 2011. I'm trying to co-ordinate dates. I'm getting in touch with vendors from the Greensburg show and the Teaneck,N.J. show to see if there can be an actual date agreed upon by most. If you would like to join in as a vendor - I'm still planning on Somerset,Pa. since it's right on the turnpike) and hopefully cheaper than Pittsburg, please let me know. What would be your best time - May,June,July or nearer Christmas 2011? Linda

Mmmmm, would love to be there that is for sure, but.... Please do take pics of the show and share with the rest of us if it is possible

Hugs and will keep fingers crossed

:) That's how i feel.Got a list of addresses and phoe numbers for vendors who were at the Greensburg show, plus some who weren't.Also got the contact numbers for some vendors from the Teaneck.IGMA show. Will use the rest of the week to contact people.Wish me luck.If any of them are interested in our show I'll let you know.Dug around in one of my work rooms for the program from Greensburgh and when i finally found it, no phone numbers or addresses. You can see I'm really working on this. Linda

okay. I have more nerve than brains,I guess. But I phoned some IGMA members from the north jersey show and got a pretty good response from Nanatsy fantasy and Diane Paone. I left more messages and so the others might call back.Even not a pretty good reply from mrs. Kraft whose husband is IGMA and does lighting and he might have a class.But I told them if I get enough responses I'd have everything worked out by Dec/Jan and get things together,so pleasde, if you want to be a vendor or know anybody, do it. I'll let you know if I hear from the others.Even left a message for Longfellows - she does some dolls I'd give my eye teeth for if I still had them.Linda

I'm trying to get some bigger sellers. And they can set up classes and set their own fees. I was at a show about 2 yrs. ago and they had a big name there, but it wasn't set up fair for the rest of us.So, I'll do my best and if this takes off, everyone will be equal. Mrs. Kraft said igma has a school in June.So July is looking good,maybe august??But July will probably be easier to rent a large space,like in the Ramada and not have to worry about dates from school graduations - if they rent??Linda

I know 2 members on here that do the Cleveland shows.

Dawn Reese aka dollsandminis, and Terri aka smallhouset.

Terri is in Pa, and makes the most exquisite wicker and many other awesome things!

Dawn owns a shop out here in Lorain County, Ohio, and has a nice variety of items at shows.

:monkeydance: got a return call today from bev gelfand. I was intimidated to call her but boy, is she nice! She's coming to do the show! She makes those beautiful Longefellow dolls. Also she's going to ask some of her igma friends if they want to come. I plan on going into town 11/10 and seeing about renting a place and then I'll have definite dates. Still have more calls to make and letters to send as soon as I get a place. Linda