No 5am shopping for me...anyone else???

minifan

I have a 4-day weekend from my clinicals due to the Holiday, and I had really considered going out shopping last night...but changed my mind...so I've been home, cleaning, spending time with my little love and watching 4 and 1/2 hours of Johnny Depp on T.V.!!! :)

The biggest gift I wanted for my daughter I got online...the rest I might venture out tomorrow with the little one in tow to find...AC Moore has some sales on gifts I can give step-nephews...

I was kind of hoping for my cyber-deals...but maybe not!!! :(

What have you done today...what are your plans for the rest of the weekend???

:)

I have cleaned and cleaned. Posted stuff on Craigslist that needs to go if I have ANY hope of having room for stuff after Christmas. Got some lycopodium in the mail, so I think I will go make a tree later. Trying to get a craft tote together to entertain me tomorrow at the Craft Show with Jeremy... Also, have to get stuff together for the sitter tomorrow. It's the first time I have EVER left the kids with someone that is not family. I am a bit nervous.

I finished all my shopping for the kids on Monday night. I don't care how good the deals are... I can't deal with that many crazy a$$ people. :)

I may go to Michael's tonight or first thing tomorrow morning.... but, probably not.

I've never gone Black Friday shopping. Or Black Saturday, or Sunday. I hate crowds..and have never seen a bargain that good that I'm willing to brave them for it!

I have for years done most all my shopping on line, anyway. As for gifts for the holidays, everyone on my list, with a couple of exceptions, already have way too much stuff (as I do!!), and so I write a check to a worthy charity, tell them about it, and tell them that's their gift...do the same if they were thinking about "gifting" us. That's been done already -- so other than a couple of small gifts for a couple of gift exchanges at local parties, I'm done.

For the exceptions, I send checks. They need the $$, they can use it for what they want, and it's a lot more convenient to write a letter, enclose a check, and stick a stamp on it than it is to try to shop and ship! I'm going to be writing those letters in the next couple of days so they have the $$ in plenty of time for Christmas...or for bill paying to start off the new year, or whatever. :)

If there were kids on my shopping list it would likely be different. They expect some wrapped something, and a check just wouldn't do! :( But the youngest on my list is 24...and he's always happy when his "dear Aunt Ann" sends $$! :)

Guess I'm just too old to be all that excited about it, anyway. Now, if the Hobby Lobby near me actually had a bunch of mini's, I might go for their 50% sale...but they only carry a piddling amount of stuff, none of which I need right now. Oh well. Guess that means I have to stay home and finish up my Tennyson rehab.... :)

Nope- me either. I did it once, years ago- bought our first computer. Brought it home and the monitor screen was broken, so I had to drive all the way back thru the crazy traffic to return it!!! :) So after that experience, I don't got out.

Today I actually am working, then soon after I get home my family is having our own little Thanksgiving dinner (extended fam was yesterday). Hubby took the day off so he and the kids could make the turkey, etc. :)

So tomorrow hubby will work all day, so I will most likely finish my kids' laundry and do mini's all day! :(

...What have you done today...what are your plans for the rest of the weekend???

I got a haircut and made a batch of chili with ground turkey and black beans for a birthday party Sunday in Tallahassee. Tomorrow we're going paddling with friends across the river in the Central Time Zone.

I hate crowds, especially holiday crowds, because holiday sales, especially in Walmart, seem to bring the worst out in so many people.

For a short while I took a second job, and worked for Cellular One. On that year's Black Friday, I had to work from a Cell One kiosk right at Walmart's front door. I had a chance to safely watch the insane melee as the managers threw open their doors to the public.

One child started to get trampled..his mother grabbed him up just in time but we could hear him wailing in terror. (Why on earth would a mother put her child in the middle of a crowd of people running and shoving each other like stampeding buffalo? And no doubt she camped outside with the child from the early morning hours, too!)

Another woman lost her shoe at the door. Then one person went to electronics, where they snitched a computer hard drive out of another person's shopping basket...and the other person punched him in the face...a fight ensued...it was dreadful. A friend in electronics told me about it all later.

I was reminded of films I'd seen about piranas..teeth snapping, eyes bulging. For a while shoppers were barely human, cussing and screaming at each other as they tore through the store.

That was the year Furbies were all the rage..and the item was in such demand, and so backordered, that store got in exactly three furbies in one shipment...they didn't dare put them out on the floor because they feared a riot would ensue.

So they snuck around in the store, and found three people who were looking for a furbie..they found a way to discreetly get them aside where others couldn't see, and gave them the furbie to take to the cashout.

Later on when folks heard what the managers had done, the criticism was so scathing that after that, stuff that was difficult to get, was handed out in lottery style. You put in a ticket, and if you 'won' that item..ok, you could take it to the checkout.

I talked to one of the assistant managers later..he said he was almost afraid for his life. I thought that was a bit extreme until last year when I heard of someone actually being trampled to death in a Walmart holiday shopping rush. Looks like he was right to be afraid after all.

Civilised? That's a joke. During holiday shopping, too many people have less manners than a group of enraged chimpanzees. They'd punch their own mothers out, in the competition to get a deal. Happy Holidays, huh? Riiight!

Nope! It's just not worth it. Now I do money gifts, or online shopping. I'd rather have a merry Christmas instead of a bloody one.

Online shopping is rapidly becoming a blessing. When you figure that shipping usually isn't too bad, considering the price of gas and how many gallons, and time and energy it takes to do chores...I think online shoppers come out ahead. Way ahead.

No Black Friday stuff for me...except for a quick trip to Hobby Lobby for some paint n paperclay...they had lots of registers open, so not too bad. I didn't go out until afternoon when I figured all the early birds were on their way home...

I think maybe if I didn't have to work last nite, I might have enjoyed some shopping....and if I could swipe my debit card endless times without a worry and buy all kinds of cheap stuff I didn't need...it would have been a little different,lol.

My hats off to all who braved the crowds :)

Okay, soooo I guess I'm the exception here. I visited 2 24-hours drug stores Wednesday night, and 3 more drug stores yesterday morning. I started to do some last night, but after standing in line for a bit last night, I chickened out and went home. I really don't much care for crowds and stress either. But, I love Black Friday shopping, I just don't stand in lines and camp out. I also did a little online shopping for things that were in the ads and available online yesterday.

So I was in bed a little after 1, and up again around 5am. I just couldn't do the 3 and 4am thing. Got a bit later of a start than I wanted actually, but I don't do store openings usually. This year was the exception. The 2 things I really needed (chair and desk) were at Staples, which was a late opener at 6am. Got there right at opening, waited 5 minutes to get in, got my things, and went on my merry way. I go with my mom and sister, and we always enjoy the morning together. It's nice to have someone to shop with. I ended up going to 9 stores today, they went to an additional 2 while I was in line at Staples so we could be more efficient. I was gone 8 hours, and was exhausted, but made some good progress. I didn't go overboard or get tons of stuff, just enjoyed the day. When I showed my husband what I got, he asked if that was all, and how long was I gone. He was kidding (sort of), and I had fun.

I didn't come across any mean or yucky people, I actually find that most people are quite nice on Black Friday, nicer than usual. I had a complete stranger yesterday offer to help me gather my deals so I could get done faster.

Tomorrow I may go up to Michael's, but will probably spend the day decorating. :) I am about shopped out!

Nope- me either. I did it once, years ago- bought our first computer. Brought it home and the monitor screen was broken, so I had to drive all the way back thru the crazy traffic to return it!!! :( So after that experience, I don't got out.

OH BOY you are lucky!!!

Everything I've read in fine print, (because you realize interesting things in fine print...like our local TRU may have opened at 10:00pm, but you due to MA law you couldn't physically purchase anything until after 12:00pm...so what do you do, wander around with your cart??? Or sit in line???)...anyways, everything I read said NO returns on anything purchased in the am!!! :)

At the local TRU ppl started lining up at 6:30pm last night, and then they had a gas leak 30 mins before they opened, so if you got there at 6:30pm and had place #1 in line, it didn't make a difference at 9:30pm...the cops pushed everyone back away from the entrance...I would have been LIVID!!!! They also were only letting 250 ppl in at a time, there were apparently over 1,000!!!!!!!! in line!!!!! :)

At the local TRU ppl started lining up at 6:30pm last night, and then they had a gas leak 30 mins before they opened, so if you got there at 6:30pm and had place #1 in line, it didn't make a difference at 9:30pm...the cops pushed everyone back away from the entrance...I would have been LIVID!!!! They also were only letting 250 ppl in at a time, there were apparently over 1,000!!!!!!!! in line!!!!! :)

Yeah, although I like to go out on BF, I can't do all that. I actually was ordering both 10PM and 5AM TRU doorbusters at 10PM online.

One year I went into Staples 15 minutes after they opened and asked the manager if they had any more of the GPS in the ad. He said they had handed out all those tickets by 4am. I told him I was glad I had ordered mine online before I left, and even got free shipping! He laughed. :) Not sure why anyone would go through that stress, but I guess everyone has their different thrills.

No way, no how!! I hear nothing but horror stories when it comes to "Black Friday"! I have NEVER been shopping on the day after Thanksgiving. I love online shopping anyways.

My kids are grown, so I plan to enjoy Xmas this year. It's going to be ALL ABOUT ME and my minis!!

We went shopping this afternoon around 1 and it really was quite pleasant. Never had to wait in line more than 2 minutes. Went to HH Gregg found our step-daughter a 32 inch lcd with dvd for 300 bucks, then came home and purchased the roku box so she can watch her netflix. She is going to be in heaven. Her 20th birthday is also Wednesday so we figured she wouldn't be home much longer and she would have a nice tv to take with her to start out.

Purchased Bill a new IPOD 16G nano this morning through apple, they were on sale plus you get free engraving and free shipping so he is done except for stocking stuffers. Purchase a new gun for son so only have his Christmas gift to buy, birthday is 12-23.

Purchased all gift certificates and am sending them home so my sister can pass them out at Christmas.

Usually, I'd much rather have a root canal done than brave the madness that ensues for 3 days after Turkey Day :) , but we did go to our Super Walmart around 10am for a couple food items and a computer. We entered through the automotive section (less "traffic"), scoped it out from back of store...it was surprisingly "normal" :) and we were in and out in less than 30 minutes with everything on our short list. :(

Our only trip was to the sporting goods store to pick up tent stakes for the lighted lawn ornaments. It wasn't bad there at all, about 4pm. But my DIL had originally intended to go to Kohl's for Kolbi's birthday, but decided not to. Two people told me that the checkout lines there were 2 hours long! No way would I do that!

I went shopping at "the" major mall in Seattle on Black Friday something like 30 years ago (Northgate, in case anyone else is from the Northwest). Spent well over half an hour trying to find a parking space, circling and circling, around and around, just trying to find a place to put the car. And that was just the beginning of the madness.

Nope, I stay home on Black Friday - there ain't no bargains good enough to go through THAT insanity!!

Jeanne, your story reminds me of my brief stint with Lionel Playworld back before I finally went to work for the State. I was hired before the store opened, and we were frantically trying to get the shelves put together & stocked & open our doors before 1 October, in time for the Christmas shopping season. That was the year of the Cabbage Patch babies and our store received exactly 12.

I remember frantically hunting down Cabbage Patch babies, Furbies, Ninja Turtles and a few other Must haves...now you can't give them away!

At one time I was making Cabbage Patch soft sculpture dolls for everyone. I don't know how I did all that...must have been a lot younger back then. What's the latest Have To Have toy now that they toy companies have created a shortage for? I think they do that on purpose to drive parents crazy!

I went shopping at "the" major mall in Seattle on Black Friday something like 30 years ago (Northgate, in case anyone else is from the Northwest). Spent well over half an hour trying to find a parking space, circling and circling, around and around, just trying to find a place to put the car. And that was just the beginning of the madness.

Nope, I stay home on Black Friday - there ain't no bargains good enough to go through THAT insanity!!

I know that mall! LOL only cause i went there with daughter this last sept looking for shoes and we got some pretzels! LOL I can image what a madhouse it would be this season!!!!

I remember frantically hunting down Cabbage Patch babies, Furbies, Ninja Turtles and a few other Must haves...now you can't give them away!

At one time I was making Cabbage Patch soft sculpture dolls for everyone. I don't know how I did all that...must have been a lot younger back then. What's the latest Have To Have toy now that they toy companies have created a shortage for? I think they do that on purpose to drive parents crazy!

That is too funny cause I made cabbage patch dolls for my kids too...and popples, cause I lived where nothing was available and had no money! remember making a navy blue one? daughter loved it LOL and I am with you on "how did i have that time and do all that?" LOL

no way was i getting up that early to do anything but start a fire in the woodstove LOL and even then I got up at 530 not 5! though to get to our nearest target or any huge store i would have to get up and leave at 3 am to get there by 5 am! our nearest walmart is an hour away too. I think even if i had money to spend on big things, electronics etc, i wouldnt do it. I do a lot of shopping online for my kids and family, make things, and then usually hit the dollar tree for fun stocking stuffers...fortunatley my grown kids are really easy...my 28 yr old son loves retro childhood things so i get him crazy toys like thos gi joes with the parachute etc LOL and daughter, 24 coming for chirstmas this year from seattle, is getting into scrapbooking so there are always cheap things out there for that!!! Tryng to get kids one good thing for them and with a sale on mine etsy was able to get daughter a saddle (like 107 and 20 shipping on ebay) since her old one is a childs and she is getting too big for it...so never anything fancy here!

I got up at 930am..I DID go shopping but for stocking stuffers. I did not go to the Mall or near the shopping centers. I went downtown to a couple of the funky shops. And I scored big time. Salvation Army had all clothes 50% off. I bought 6 sweaters for myself and 5 skirts (that she loved) for Natalie..all for $20.

I do not have a problem with crowds (except if I kept getting pushed or stepped on..i would become perturbed). It is the waiting. I do not want to spend my morning in the back of Target with an empty Big Gulp cup..hehehe Not my idea of fun. Yes, there are some amazing deals but you have to be one of the lucky few that got in the front of the line. I found out that we are the last hold out in the universe that does not own a flat screen tv. We bought our big dinosaur about 8 years ago and it works fine. When it dies, or the family pesters me enough, we will get a flat screen.

I found out that we are the last hold out in the universe that does not own a flat screen tv. We bought our big dinosaur about 8 years ago and it works fine. When it dies, or the family pesters me enough, we will get a flat screen.

oh no youre not! LOL we have an old big one and the sound is out so we have a stereo speaker set hooked up so we can hear it! LOLOL and yes i still have dial up too!

Julie,

I would love to get a flat screen (our tv stand now would hold one) but I do not see spending the money on one when our tv works fine. Because THAT tv is a beast and when we get a new one..that one GOES! I do not care where it goes but I do not want to have to worry about it when I am 50 yrs old and how I am going to manage getting rid of it. It is one of the last beasts that came out before the flat screens became affordable. Some day.

I like to shop online and I go to the mall on a Tuesday morning when everyone is at work..hehehe