Currier and Ives village houses

jennywren

Hi everyone,

I have recently started to collect the Currier and Ives porcelain houses that were created by the Museum of the City of New York. I saw them in a Country Sampler magazine on display and fell in love. I've been able to find quite a few on ebay so I've been able to put together somewhat of a list of the collection. I was wondering if anyone here collected these houses and if so is there a collector's guide showing all of the houses and accessories. I have had no luck at all searching. I've attached a few pictures.

post-3544-1291515462_thumb.jpgpost-3544-1291515473_thumb.jpgpost-3544-1291515481_thumb.jpgpost-3544-1291515491_thumb.jpg

post-3544-1291515558_thumb.jpgpost-3544-1291515732_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

That's truly cute. One of our GoodWill stores had gotten someone's Dickens Village houses. One of DH's coworker's wife sets up hers every year; it was humongous when I last saw it a dozen years ago! I'd rather have that much room and keep my dhs.

Our pastor's wife had a huge Det 56 collection she put out every year. He set up a tiered platform and she put the entire thing out like a little village-just beautiful! Then she had a tea for the church ladies on the Sunday before Christmas.

Her son and my DS2 were best friends, and Nick spent that Saturday night over there with him. When Mom and the church ladies came to the parsonage for tea, they found an entire army of the little green toy soldiers stationed all over the village, engaged in a fierce battle! She was not amused, but it was quite the story at church that year!

Thing is, I think those two now grown men would do it again if they had the chance!

• Like 2

Great story Sherry! Reminds me of the christmas scene at our house a few years ago. We had the church in our house, and along with a smaller set of nativity figures in the Sitting/Common room, there was always a larger clay set outside the chapel door. The Ox and Donkey were about cat sized, and our two cats regularly joined them, the Shepherds, Mary, Joseph and Baby during the 12 days of Christmas. They fit right in!

We have two of the Currier & Ivies houses, but I do not know where we purchased them. I love Farm House in the winter. I keep them out year round on a cabinet in the back porch. We live in a 130 year old farm house so they make perfect accessories. I have a collection of ceramic chickens and they are on several shelves and John made doors for these shelves out of old wood and chicken wire and it looks so cute. When we purchases the farm in 1978 the kitchen light was a bare light bulb hanging over the table. We found a light fixture that has 4 glass panels with Currier and Ives scenes . Over the years we have always been afraid of breaking a glass panels when we have to change a light bulb. This summer while on vacation we found another fixture with the same glass panels and purchased it as a back up in case our present one becomes useless. If I ever find any additional porcelain houses I will buy them for the back porch. This explains my C & i avatar. We have a collection of the Leemax houses that i put up every Christmas, which I should be doing right now. Rita

Rita, you should get on ebay right now :) I've actually been loading up and they have several on right now that are 10.00 and under. I think I've been able to compile a pretty good list of all of the houses..... with the help of worthpoint.com. I also got my very first house last night and it had a brochure in it covering the houses up to 2003! These houses are so much cute in person, I'm obsessed!

• 5 weeks later...

I have three of these houses and keep them up on my mantle all winter, as they are not overly "Christmas-y". I bought them in a Joanne's fabric store many years ago--10? 12? I don't remember. Anyway, Joanne's carried them for a few years, and I bought one or two a year and was disappointed when they discontinued the line. The houses are very authentic to Currier and Ives paintings, and cute without being "cutesy" which is one of the things I particularly like about them. I have looked for them on the internet with no luck before, and am pleased that they are now starting to turn up on Ebay.

Betsy

post-6314-1294409457_thumb.jpg

post-6314-1294409473_thumb.jpg

I've was pretty lucky over Christmas Betsy and found several. I was actually able to gather up quite a nice little collection of them. There were a good many on ebay then but it has slowed down a bit. I check in on them often and there's maybe 2 to 3 posted at a time. They seem to be pretty popular as there were a couple that sold for around $200. Amazing. You are right though about them not being too Christmasy, they're really just snowy :) Very cute!

Those houses are really cute! My grandmother had the C&I dishes, but I never saw the houses before. I have the Olde World Village put out by PartyLite candles -- they take 1 or 2 tea candles to light them up inside. Very pretty, and now out of production.

• 10 months later...

Hi Jennywren,

I do have the Currier and Ives collection of porcelain houses. They are packed away in their individual boxes and all those boxes are packed into one large box. I can look at them and give you a list of what I have if you are interested. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Elsa

Hi everyone,

I have recently started to collect the Currier and Ives porcelain houses that were created by the Museum of the City of New York. I saw them in a Country Sampler magazine on display and fell in love. I've been able to find quite a few on ebay so I've been able to put together somewhat of a list of the collection. I was wondering if anyone here collected these houses and if so is there a collector's guide showing all of the houses and accessories. I have had no luck at all searching. I've attached a few pictures.

post-3544-1291515462_thumb.jpgpost-3544-1291515473_thumb.jpgpost-3544-1291515481_thumb.jpgpost-3544-1291515491_thumb.jpg

post-3544-1291515558_thumb.jpgpost-3544-1291515732_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

Hi

I know this is long since your post so don't even know if you will see it.

I have a pamphlet published 2002 that came in the box with one of my Currier & Ives houses. I don't know how many houses were added to the list. I also started collecting the houses just 2 seasons before they stopped selling them. I had only purchased 3 pieces by then, so have picked up a few since then on Ebay. I wish I had known they were going to cease the line, I could have purchased more while they were on the shelves.

I am hoping maybe they will start selling them again one day just like Disney used to re-release their movies after 7 years.

Let me know if you would like a copy of the list.

Judy

Hey,Judy, I'm 56 and have only been using a computer since last fall and am the very slowest at learning anything about all the techie stuff that others sometime take for granted-since nowadays most humans ages 3 to 93 seem to be computer literate!-so I am glad something I finally learned could help some one else. :) And it's extra sweet of you to offer your help! Stick around and check us out-it's a great hobby/addiction! ;) Kat

• 3 months later...

I have typed a list of all the Currier & Ives Porcelain houses I have been able to find. Use the list if it is helpful to you. If anyone has any additions, I would gladly add on to my list.

Judy

A Home on the Mississippi - House

American Country life - House

American Country life home 2006

American Express Train

American Farm scene 1

American Homestead Winter - house

American Winter Scene

American Express Tree

Blue two-story house with dormers and 2 chimneys

Brown two-story house with one story mud room 2 chimneys

Hay Wagon

Horse drawn sleigh

Horse drawn carriage - Mississippi

Large, medium, and smalls tree

Morning

Preparing for Market – Apple cart

Sledding hill

Windmill

Cottage by the cliff

Early Winter – house

Farmer Home Winter 2006 Village

Farmer’s Home Winter Barn

Florida Coast - lighthouse

Frozen Up – water mill

Gazebo

Getting Ice

Home Sweet Home - house

Homestead Winter 2868

Horse Drawn Sleigh

Maple Sugaring – Log Cabin

Accessory

Mustard yellow with 2 chimneys 4 pillars, side room

Mustard yellow with 2 chimneys 4 pillars, side room Holiday House

Old Farmhouse

Old Sloan Tavern

Old Swiss Mill

Season of Blossoms - house

Sleepy Hollow Church

Snow Storm

Snow Storm Oxen with firewood

Sunday Winter Scene - Church

Thatched Cottage - house

THE FARMERS HOME-WINTER.

THE NEW BROOD

Old Farmhouse

Season of Blossoms

Season of Joy

Snow Storm - house

Train Stop

Trees

Village Blacksmith

Windmill

Winter Evening

Winter in the Country

Winter in the Country - A Cold Morning Barn

Winter Morning - house

Winter Morning in the Country - Barn

Winter Morning in the Country

Winter Past time - house

Winter Pastime Village Christmas Tree

I hate to tell you this but I GAVE AWAY my Dept 56 village with about 15 houses........

My daughter told me she expects to inherit mine. I used to set them up with a village, a dock, a woods, frozen pond with skaters, and even a simulated frozen waterfall. Now they're set up in a glass cabinet, one scene on each shelf.