Hi from NY building the Beacon Hill house

knittertech

Hi Elissa! Welcome to the forum! :)

The Beacon Hill is a beautiful house, Congrats! I am building one too, it is my dream house. Yes, it is a little overwhelming at first, but take it one step at a time, read and look at pictures here, and ask any questions you have, and you will be fine!

Do you have any plans yet? When you have made 5 posts you can open an album showing pictures of your progress.

Have fun!

Welcome to the little family, Elissa. If you can't find what you want to know with the "Search" feature, feel free to ask questions. Please don't use hot glue to assemble any dollhouse kit, despite what the instructions might say.

Hello Elissa!! I know how you feel and it is a Big Huge project!! Just remember to take it slow and that "By an inch ,it's a cinch, by a yard it's hard." Take it step by step and you'll end up with that Beautiful house on the cover of the box! We are all here cheering you on cause you can do it :)

Hi,Elissa and welcome to Greenleaf. Don't be nervous about your build...read the instructions, go slow-following step by step.And don't forget to dry fit with plenty of masking tape.And never use hot glue even if the directions say to because it's to brittle and the whole house will fall apart.I use Elmer's Glue and Elmer's Carpenter glue..so far,so good.Remember there are tons of us here to help you!! :)

Ohhhh my I love this. Had to go take a peek at a photo or 3. So many possibilities.

Welcome. I am new too of a couple weeks or so.

Need to do bird cage care then work on embroidery project for Christmas gift. Christmas night I can get back to my playing/building on house extension. Can't wait.

Take a photo of the box, then progress often. I get so carried away in here looking at gallerys. There are so many creative people with wonderful ideas.

Take care,

LindaC

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

:) :w00t: I too just opened the box of the Beacon Hill and have lots of questions. Anybody game?? I want to know about components that might fit this kit. It was previously owned but other than the stairs, never constructed. The child owner ( 25 years ago) broke the staircase. I was wondering about getting milled components but the local miniature stores says none are made for it.

How do the rest of you make the fancy trims look a little more finished? or milled? Does anyone know what I am trying to say??

Also I want to extend this house to include a larger living room ( maybe) and for certain a formal dining room.

Is it possible to buy things from Greenleaf... like a new staircase or??

Thanks for the answers.. Andi

Hi Andi, and :) to the forum!

I too just opened the box of the Beacon Hill and have lots of questions.

Just opening the box raised questions in my mind. Reading and rereading the instructions and then patiently dryfitting the pieces helped to answer some of them.

How do the rest of you make the fancy trims look a little more finished? or milled? Does anyone know what I am trying to say??

Are you referring to the sometimes rough edges that occur when a piece is released from the sheet? The burrs can be removed by sanding lightly. An emery board from a dollar store works well. For tiny curves, cut the emery board down the middle to make skinny sanding tools. Roughness resulting from gaps in the plywood or to fill in splinters that may have broken off in the removal process, try rubbing in a little Spackle or wallboard mud/joint compound with the tip of your finger and wiping it smooth. When it dries, a light sanding will smooth it further, but that may not be necessary. Once coated with a sealer (gesso, latex housepaint, etc.), the finish will be quite smooth.

Also I want to extend this house to include a larger living room ( maybe) and for certain a formal dining room.

Another reason to do a dry fit. It would help you to see it in 3-D so you can tell just where the bashing should take place.

Is it possible to buy things from Greenleaf... like a new staircase or??

You can purchase individual sheets from Greenleaf. I think the first floor staircase is on four or five sheets. As an alternative, you could trace the shapes left when the pieces were removed from the sheets to make patterns for cutting new pieces out of eighth inch wood that can be purchased at a craft store (Michael's and Hobby Lobby come to mind, but there are other sources).

Thanks for the answers.. Andi
You're welcome. I'm sure others will chime in. One thing you'll learn early on is that there is no right way to do this and no deadlines. As Tracy said above, "Hard by the yard, a cinch by the inch." :w00t: