When do you take your Christmas tree down ?

kellee

When I used to decorate with a vengence, everything to do with Christmas was packed away on New Year's Day.

But now that I have only a santa claus and a two foot tree..I'll probably put them away this week before New Years. There's not so much ceremony with two decoratins, lol

I thought our little tree was going to escape this year, without hazing...WRONG! This morning, I rolled over in bed just in time to see Gizmo make a leap for our hapless little fiber optic treeling. Both he and the tree went over the edge of the credenza, and the resulting crash woke the whole house up! Darn that Gizmo.

Of course he's very pleased with himself...he 'killed' the tree quite nicely.

OH hey, I have a question...has anyone else had trouble this year with ladybugs? We have a housefull of them..not the usual really bright red ones..but a brownish color on their wings, with the black spots..and two little yellow artificial 'eyes' above the real eyes.

The cats are going bonkers. Last nite I watched one go round and round one of my lamps till they just about went crazy...they didn't touch because I had my eye on them, and was spouting warnings...but oh, they wanted those bugs pretty bad.

J

I never liked starting the new year with an "old" tree.We didn't even have a tree this year.........instead we have the new devil kitten,Bella!! S'pose I coulda painted one on the wll!! Hahahahaha.. :)

We haven't had a tree since before we retired. DS#3 is the only one who comes for Christmas, and he's so prone to depression this time of year (he's the one with bipolar disorder) that when he suggested he didn't mind our not decorating (I hadn't asked), we took him at his word. Back when we did I continued my family's tradition of putting the tree up on Christmas Eve (or a day or two before) and leaving it up until Epiphany Eve (5 January).

Sunday Jan. 2nd...with the real tree this year, it has to be done...they will be by to pick up the trees on Tues. or Wed., so it needs to be on the curb before then...and like pp's...it's like a fresh start...

I got a Bissell ProHeat rug cleaner for Christmas from my MIL, (me and DH's joint gift)...so I'm itching to break it open and clean the rugs...and I will be doing that on Sunday!!! :)

Like Holly, the tradition in our family is to have the decorations put away by Epiphany (Jan 6). We didn't know it was Heidi's birthday back then! :) Mom said it was an old Czech custom and considered back luck to have Christmas decorations up past the Feast of the Three Kings.

Here in New Orleans, January 6 also marks the beginning of Mardi Gras. The red and green quickly morphs into green, gold, and purple. When I was at Michael's last week, the Christmas shelves had already been restocked with Mardi Gras decorations! January 6 is the first day of the official King cake season as well. <slurp> That delicacy traditionally is sold only from Jan 6 until Mardis Gras (which is March 8 this year). :)

As of about 5 minutes ago, my tree is down. I usually keep it up a bit longer, but this year we weren't loving each other. Plus, the loveseat that is usually in that spot is hanging out in Lawson's room while the tree is up, and that has to come out before we can build his desk for his room that he got for Christmas.

I will slowly take the rest of the decorations down over the course of the week. My mom got all hers down yesterday, and packed away and in the attic this morning. She has no problem putting them up early (usually the weekend before Thanksgiving), but the minute Christmas is over they have to come down. I think last year she even started taking them down Christmas night.

I usually leave it up until after new years...or the end of january...lol depending on my mood. this year was an exception...i took it all down and put it away last night. I was in the mood so i went with it. makes the family room so much more open!

Like Holly used to, we put our tree up just before christmas (christmas eve with kids around, otherwise maybe a few days earlier) and the tree comes down either 5th or 6th of January. Decorations gotta be up for the 12 days of Christmas in my house!

I never, never, never, never, EVER take mine down before New Year's Day. It brings bad luck for the new year. Fortunately Bruce is off on Saturday so he can help me take it down and put it all back in the garage. It's been fun having the aliens around this year. (Did I tell y'all we did an Area 51 theme tree this year?) I kind of hate to pack up all the little green men and the ray guns and space ships away but I really want my den back to normal.

Deb

Geez, Christmas JUST happened, and we're already getting rid of the trees???

Actually, since we moved to Rhode Island, my stepson comes up to visit for the week between Christmas and New Year's, so we definitely have it up until after he leaves. And this year in particular, we had some RL chaos that prevented us from getting the tree up and decorated before Christmas Eve, so we will definitely keep it up and enjoy it for a while, like maybe Valentine's Day? Okay, kidding about that, but it will probably be up for most of January.

I don't take ours down until mid-January... (or until the lights burn out..LOL)

Mine is only a 4 ft. table top one and is decorated with silk floral bunches that go with colors in my livingroom, so I always hate to take it down. To me, there is something comforting about the light it casts at night, so I leave it up as long as I'm likin' it. :)

...when my DW tells me to! :p

:p

Mike, you are SO well trained! What a jewel! :clap:

I try to get ours down by NY's Day, and I actually made it this year. They're not up in the attic yet, but should be by tonight (I wish my husband were home!) If I don't get it done this weekend it won't get done for a long time as I work Trade Shows for a home-improvement company and they are all kicking into high gear next week. Then I have NO time for anything else.