Hmm...what can I return to go towards minis???

minifan

O.K., so dh and I got a joint gift from MIL, a Bissell Pro-heat carpet cleaner thing...and I just checked out the price of it online...over $300 she spent on this and I don't even have carpets in my house... :)

So my theory is throw it in the car, and return it...and get a new dollhouse!!! :)

Though in reality I can't do that because MIL will ask me how the cleaning is going, (and she lives 10 houses away, literally on the same street) so she would know if I didn't have it anymore...and DH would kill me if he saw another dollhouse come through the doors...

Which reminds me to track where the BNIB 1/2 scale Bungalow is to find out if it will be delivered when he's not home, and to hide the new Cambridge I got on Ebay...

What are you wanting to return this year???

I had never heard of returning a gift for something else you might want more; not the way I was raised. However, I found out about returning gifts when we spent Christmas with DS#1 & his wife one year, and before she finished opening all of her gifts she & her mom were discussing what she'd exchange them for.

I have been known to regift if, after several years, I still haven't found a use for something we were given for a gift.

Wouldn't it make more sense to tell her that you guys don't have a need for it? Maybe she can exchange it for one that does work on hardwood flooring. Seems like a better solution than to have it go to waste sitting in the closet. If you do exchange it yourself though, you should get something both of you would enjoy...not just something you want. That wouldn't be fair to your husband.

Oh, that's too funny! And I can sure feel the temptation to expand the dollhouse collection by returning the Bissell!!! BUT, I agree - best to return it if you're not able to use it and replace with some other practical household item. Plus if you get a dollhouse with the money - well, mama-in-law might have hurt feelings and who wants or needs that?

I got all kinds of gift cards this year, Target, Best Buy, several restaurants but nothing redeemable for cash. Got a $100 Amazon one which I could have supersized my dollhouse inventory with but I was "good." I was in desperate need of some good snow boots and some warm socks so that's what I did. But I figure with all these gift cards, someone else is providing a few meals and a few other things so I can take my money that I would have spent on the "boring" stuff and spend it on the dollhouses.

Keep the tools. return the MIL!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....YOU JUST MADE MY NIGHT!!! :)

Nah, I can't return or exchange the cleaner...dh would kill me for all kinds of reasons, apparently she put alot of thought into this gift...hmmm, sounds to me like she thought about herself, she just got a new puppy and has about 6 rooms of carpeting...so it basically means that dh will be going over to her house with the cleaner to clean her rugs!!!...but it is nice to dream!!! :)

Isn't it nice that it works out that way???

I suspect you're onto something. Since she lives just ten houses away, your MIL must be aware that you have no carpets in your house. I think if it were me, the first time she asks to "borrow" it offer to give back to her.

I don't know how your relationship is, but I would return it and just simply say it wasn't useful in the house you have. I used to really try to get stuff people would like and really only hit it 50% or so of the time. I made sure each person knew that I had absolutely no problem with them returning anything and ALWAYS included the gift receipt so that they could. I then went to a "give me your gift list" a couple years ago and always only bought from that (still included a gift receipt though!) and that worked so much better. I think I hit a 100% this year - yeah!!!!

It may be just me, but an expensive Bissell as a gift that wasn't asked for has a whole lotta other issues with it. (reminds me TOTALLY of my mother - my mother in law would never have done it which I always appreciated) Could be just me though reading too much into it. But, still. Really? A $300 Bissell with not a lot of carpet?

Kirsten

Have to agree with a couple other posts that MIL may've been thinking more of herself and the new puppy... but most all of my family is that way. Gave up when I was 20 and told them not to bother getting me stuff I had no use for(mianly b/c they knew it, got it for themselves -- and asked for it with-in 2 wks.) This year I got one gift from my mother... First year in several that I've gotten anything, which is never so much a bother b/c I enjoy the giving a lot more than the getting. But it's a Genesis Oscillating tool -- similar to the Dremel Multimax, but with better reviews on Amazon from what I've seen. Was really wanting the Dremel Trio, but noticed that that only takes one type of bit, and those can be a bit pricey... So thinking momma hit the nail on the head with this one. As is for those that did receive the Trio this year, if y'all don't mind sharing how it goes -- would love to hear actual reviews from people using it in a capacity I would. :)

I wouldn't return it either. But didn't you just say somewhere that you are getting carpet? Maybe she already knew that. In any case, I agree completely with Tiffanie. It was a gift for the family and if you return it, the money should be used on something for the family. Dollhouses are wonderful things, and I'd spend loads of money on them if I had loads of money. But there are two of us living off our retirement, and if there is something we need, that has to come first. We can't keep frozen food in a dollhouse, or dry our clothes in it!

With my kids, I finally realized $$ was the best gift. I don't know exactly what they want, but I do know where they shop. So I give them gift cards and just buy actual gifts for the grandkids, who love the boxes they come in-lol!