Greetings from the Bluegrass State

KentuckyFox

I was always interested in dollhouses and miniatures when I was a child, and at age 30 I have rekindled that interest. I built my first dollhouse (an Orchid) last month and hope to purchase a Duracraft San Franciscan this weekend. Looking forward to being part of the Greenleaf Miniature Community...I'm sure I'll have lots of questions. :)

Welcome, Nicki! There are a number of San Frans throughout this forum-- you can see my SF557 in my gallery-- as well as some Painted Ladies (similar to the 557). It is a favorite of mine even if it gave me fits during shipping! (Didn't ship very well... :) )

What kind of San Fran are you getting?

Whoops! That didn't work. I have seen San Fran kits with the blue painted house on the box, but this one shows an unpainted house (or perhaps painted in light colors?). The box also says Mansions in Miniatures by Duracraft. Not much else I can make out from the Craigs List photo, but once I have the house I'll let you know which model it is. I've read some horror stories about unclear directions for this kit, so I'm a little intimidated.

Welcome and definite goodluck! :) Also, since you have enough posts you can start an album to keep us all informed of your build process and pose any questions. Just started dryfitting my second build as well, which is a good bit tinier than the San Fran... Someday though, that one's going to have to stay on the wish list for a bit longer though. lol

Nicki, there were three versions of the DC San Franciscan that I know of. If the box picture shows pieces of wood radiating out from the window in the middle of the big gable, it's probably the SF550. If not, and the kit pieces are all wood (the walls would be milled wood in 2" widths with tongue & groove milling along the top & bottom), and the gable plain except for the window, it's likely the SF555 (mine also came with a VHS tape that was of marginal help). If the wall pieces are MDF it's the SF557.

All three versions have been built at one time or another. You might go to the Dura-Craft subforum and look for posts about this kit, but I'll warn you that the "Search" feature won't work with keywords of fewer than four setters, so while you'll get a bazillion hits on "Franciscan" you won't have any luck with "San".

Nicki, there were three versions of the DC San Franciscan that I know of. If the box picture shows pieces of wood radiating out from the window in the middle of the big gable, it's probably the SF550. If not, and the kit pieces are all wood (the walls would be milled wood in 2" widths with tongue & groove milling along the top & bottom), and the gable plain except for the window, it's likely the SF555 (mine also came with a VHS tape that was of marginal help). If the wall pieces are MDF it's the SF557.

All three versions have been built at one time or another. You might go to the Dura-Craft subforum and look for posts about this kit, but I'll warn you that the "Search" feature won't work with keywords of fewer than four setters, so while you'll get a bazillion hits on "Franciscan" you won't have any luck with "San".

The box picture shows the wood radiating from the window in the middle. Thank you for helping with identification and the tips, Holly! Hi, Wolfie, Scotty and Kelli! :)

Holly, is it true to say that each version is basically nothing like the other (except in basic finished form)-- in other words, if you've built one you definitely have not built the others...

Hi, Nicki! Even though I've PM'd you, I wanted to officially welcome you on this post as well. I am SO excited to have a new miniaturist friend right here in "my neck of the woods"! By the way, have you been to the dollhouse museum in Danville yet? I've been about a gazillion times, and it's always a super fun day. If you haven't been yet, maybe we could plan a day there together? I know you would enjoy seeing it.