back into little house's after 30 year's

rojam18801

recently retired semi truck driver getting back into the little house's. 26 year's on the road and hit a bridge last month with overheight load. now noone will hire me, guess it's time to retire. i just turned 64. i do feel a little strange joining this forum. it's like a all female place and i hope you accept me for what i am, another little house nut. my little house thing started back in the early 80's. was a contractor building homes and had a back injury. wife went to work while i did the mister mom thing. i really enjoyed doing that, had 4 kid's at that time. one daughter who is the light of my life and 3 boy's. i had a lot of time and was getting bored. looked at my daughter one day and decided to build her a little house for christmas. problem was i did'nt know now to build a little house. i only know big house's. so that's the way i built it. cut floor joist's, 2x4'2 2x6's 2x8's. cut all the material right down to lath for plaster walls.. yes real plaster wall's. only thing's i purchased was microscope slides for the glass and little brick's. worked on this for about 6 month's and all my relation's and friend's strarted talking about it. the local newspaper showed up and did a article on it. soon after we got a calll from a agent for high class dollhouse stuff. he and his wife wanted to see it. they came over and got all excited and asked if i would sell it. i said it was for my daughter but how much were they talking. they sold it over the phone sight unseen for $10,000.00 and got me 2 more to build for more money. i was like wowed out of my mind. i built more until a house fire, it burnt to the ground and lost my shop. that's when i bought a semi truck and went back to real work. i've been waiting years to get back into this and now is the time. as soon as i get my new shop set up i will post picture's of what i do. hope you enjoy as much as i do...ron

Hi Ron and welcome to Greenleaf Forum. And just so you know we have many male

members here.Many who know how to build real life homes and can inform,instruct us on

many points we might never have thought of. Sorry to hear about your accident.Hope

you didn't get hurt.But I think you're gonna start having some real fun now. Glad you

found us!! :clap:

welcome Ron, and this is not just a lady thing LOL....i love doing shows and seeing male vendors, with wives just keeping them company, or men joining their wives as a part of the business...and then there are men who just hang out with their wives who are doing the shows LOL

so sorry about your mishap, but wow you obviously have talent in what you have done, so maybe all is good? welcome!

Welcome to the little family, Ron, and you MUST meet Jeremy, Roy, Aaron, Mike, Dave, David, Glenn, Peter, Doogster, ... Oh, well, you aren't alone! When you've made five posts you can share pictures of your builds, and we LOVE eye candy here!

Welcome to the group Ron. Would love to see pictures of that house if you have any, it sounds amazing.

Sometimes fate has a way of pointing us in the right direction so although I'm so sorry about your accident, I've a feeling that things will turn our just fine now that you have retired. And yes, there are lots of male members of the forum so you are in good company.

Hi Ron, and :clap: to the neighborhood.

Jeremy (pdlnpeabody) and Mike (mespk2) are working on stick-built houses now and have built others in the past. I'm sure they'll have a lot of suggestions to pass your way if that's the way you want to go again. If you want to try your hand at a kit build, do give the Greenleaf houses a close look. They are relatively easy to bash, so they're a treat for creative people as you seem to be.

Holly named a few active males in the group, but if you click on "Members" at the top and search for males, about 200 names will come up. Some are active, some are not. Butin any event, you're in good company!

Do you have any photos of your original houses that you can scan to share with us? We really, really like eye candy. :p

thank all of you for the wonderful welcome. i will post pictures but it will be several weeks before i get new shop setup and running. then we'll have more to talk about, so until then..ron

thank all of you for the wonderful welcome. i will post pictures but it will be several weeks before i get new shop setup and running. then we'll have more to talk about, so until then..ron

Hey Ron, Do you have photos of that priceless house? would really love to see it or any you have done. Maybe they are on a website? Sorry about your situation but glad you are here. I am learning carpentry with the extension I am putting on an existing home made by someone else. My late hubby was a contractor, my dad was a carpenter so terms are familiar to me but not the actual 'doing'. It's going okay.

get your 5 posts in then you can create an album for photos....

ta,

LindaC/senior lady in OK

whoa!!! jeremy is excellent. that really impressed me. maybe he is me!! nobody was doing anything like my work back in the 80's. he went pass what i was doing and i did'nt even see him. this is great,now i have someone to surpass. i love a challange. maybe we can make both our house's better...ron

Hi Ron! Yes, Jeremy does amazing work, would love to see yours too. You're at 7 posts now so you can start your gallery! :clap:

And, I just noticed you're from FL, Jeremy is in Gainesville I believe, so just about an hour from you! How fun! You guys should get together someday. Lyssa is also in that area.

Ron, you're in Dunnelon? We're going to be at Silver River State Park MLK weekend to join the GA canoe club paddling, and I think one of our rivers will be the Rainbow River. One of these days I want to ride my 27-speed trike on the FL Greenway Trail, too.

havanaholly...rainbow river is 8 miles from my house, been there a lot. it's paradise, clear right to the bottom. havent been to the greenway, heard to much about local police having trouble there. most likely at nite, but i stay away...ron

We had a couple of incidents on the St Mark's Trail in Tallahassee when it first opened, so there's a sign posted not to use it alone or after dark; but there's always at least two of us riding it and sometimes with two vehicles!

gallery_8_1986_60326.jpg