Stucco Issues

kfkelly

I am building an old The Bobbie kit and the wood was in pretty bad shape, so I decided to stucco the outside. I used GL dollhouse stucco and I must have put it on too thick. After drying, there are hairline cracks in parts of the stucco. Is there any way to fix this? Or give it a better appearance? I primed it with the same color as the stucco, so there's no difference in color, but the cracks are really bugging me. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Kirsten

I also use spackling compound, and I haven't used the stucco mix; however I've used the mix that comes with the Magik Brik and I mixed equal parts white glue (elmer's all-purpose) and water, rather than just water alone, until the mixture had the consistency of frosting, and I tried not to apply it thicker than 1/8".

Thanks. I think the problem was because I did put it on WAY too thick in places - that seems to be where the cracking is. I've watered down the left over stucco I saved and am applying that to some of the cracks that are less easily visible. After that dries, I'll see if it that helps fix the problem. If it does, I'll "paint" the thinned down stucco in the cracks.

Kirsten

I've never used the GL stucco. Does it come as a powder or a paste? Sounds almost like there was too much water in the mix..as the water evaporated, the past might have shrunk? I used Red Devil powdered paint texturizer..it got added to the paint...but I haven't noticed any cracks on the old Mystic Moggie.

Yeah, you can fill in the cracks with more stucco..after that you shouldn't have a problem.

J

I use GL stucco on everything and adore it. You're correct that the cracking would be caused by it being a little thick in places. The best way I've found to apply the stucco is to apply a base coat of the same paint to the wall first, then mix your stucco with paint instead of water. (latex works best) Use a stiff bristled brush to apply the stucco and instead of painting it on, dip the brush in the stucco and dab it onto the wall, holding your brush at a 90 degree angle to the wall so you're making quick taps with the tip of the brush bristles. That gives a nice lift to the stucco points, applies the stucco evenly in a thin layer, and avoids brush stroke marks. If it does crack, let it dry completely (at least overnight) and use a teeny bit of spackle to fill the cracks. After that has dried completely, dab a little stucco over it so it matches the rest of the house.

Deb