Newbie from New Jersey :)

Chrissey

Greetings All,

About 20 years ago, I built a San Franciscan for my first daughter. One of the tragic victims of a nasty divorce just a few years after I finished it :clap: Long story short, I married again and my wonderful dear husband bought me another San Franciscan for Christmas!

So, thats my task for the next year or so... and Im going to apologize in advance-- between us we have 5 children, ages 7 to 21, so surfing blogs doesnt happen often! Not to mention, I need to build a new dollhouse! WOO HOO!

Now, to the experienced builders -- (Im not sure what I think of the new material DuraCraft used for the exterior walls/floors -- Once I get working with it I will either love it or hate it!!) but, I have spent 3 hours tonight trying to find the good old fashioned wood strips for the floors -- it seems every supplier has the wood floors laminated to some paper sheets. The sucky thing is that those 11x17 sheets are 1/2 short for the 17.5" floor... Does anyone make the strips that arent glued to paper?? Or is there a way to work with those sheets? Am I just so old-school that I cant see the benefit of paper-backed flooring?

HELP!

(Yup, my introduction post and Im already asking for help! -- dont worry, I wont do it too often!)

Im so happy I found this forum!

~Chrissey

Hi Chrissey! Welcome to the forum! We're so glad you found us! How sweet of your husband to buy you a new dollhouse. :clap:

The San Fran came in 3 different models, the SF550, SF555, and the SF557. The last one is made of MDF, and from what I've heard is a completely different build process than the others. But I'm sure you'll be fine!

Ahh, the Dura-craft floor strips! Love those, they look really nice. But even if those aren't available, you still have lots of options!

You can visit the Greenleaf store, they have vinyl wood strips that look great! http://shop.greenleafdollhouses.com/Miniat...l-Hardwood.html

They also have wood tiles that are wonderful too. You can do some cool parquet designs with those.

You mentioned the paper-backed wood floors. One advantage of those is you don't have to lay all those individual strips and cut them to size! If the sheet is a little too short, you could turn the sheet the other way and use 2 sheets, the leftovers can be used in another room. You may be able to remove the paper backing too if you wanted. You can also use thin stripwood, craft sticks, skinny sticks, coffee stirrers.

Of course, you're not limited to wood. There's linoleum, tile, and carpet.

Do you have any ideas for colors or style yet? When you have made 5 posts you can open an album to show off your progress!

Have fun, and we can't wait to see how you finish this beautiful house!

Welcome to the little family, Chrissey, and feel free to ask all the questions you want; the purpose of this forum is to exchange information and encourage each other. You're aware that this is a very addictive hobby, I hope.

Another source for flooring strips is the iron-on wood veneer strips that hardware stores carry, and you can cut them into board lengths and split them into widths more in scale. The Greenleaf self-adhesive vinyl "wood" flooring strips are also wonderful.

Nicki, another of our new members, is building the SF550 (all-wood).

Hi Chrissey and Welcome. I am just starting work on hardwood in my dolls house. I have opted, obviously from some mental defect, to cut wooden coffee stir sticks and apply them individually. I was looking for something more rustic than the posh polished finish that the beautiful pre-fab ones allow for. You can see a link to recent pictures on my blog (under my signature)

Whoa! So, this is my distraction before I have some work to get done -- Low and behold, this is gonna be great! Thanks for the suggestions!

I may opt for that paper-backed stuff for the "attic" -- a nice little distressed white wash? Not as concerned about it up there as the first floor. Now, after I posted the original post, hubby asks, "What are you doing, Baby?" I say, "Well, I love the house, but Im having a HUGE challenge with the first floor!" (There was no way I could break it to him that the wood floor wasnt there! (my old one? oh, you could see your reflection -- complete with "nail" holes, oh, man... but I digress...)So, I explain to him that the "new" floors arent what I was expecting (read: not how they used to be), and explained the 17" vs. 17.5 inch problem, and he agrees with me on the direction of the grain --- anywhoo....

Now *I* have something to share! *HE* suggested, "Baby, cant we just go to the lumber shop and get a couple samples of veneer? Would those work?"

~!~!~! THUD ~!~!~!

WHAT A FANTASTIC IDEA!!! Purchase veneer from a lumber yard!

Now, I am beside myself excited! Not looking forward to cutting all those little tiny strips (he says the sheets are easier to work with than the rolls....)

Okay, I have work to get done... Thanks so much for all the replies, and I will check out that ... uh, will have to check the post again, Lobby Hobby? Hobby Lobby? Yes, I regret that I am not laying a floor tonight -- but, blessed to be one that is still amongst the employed!

Hugs to all who replied and I am sincerely GLAD I found this little gem of a website!

~Chrissey

I'm so glad your DH thinks that cutting the big veneer sheets into strips 6" X 0.25" is easier :clap: than cutting the iron-on veneer strips... That way you'll have enough flooring for every 1:12 kit Greenleaf makes.

WELCOME to the Greenleaf mini-family, Chrissey (and sweet husband) – so glad you joined us! Sounds like you are off to a good start. Keep us posted; we love to share news, pictures, and ideas on all things miniature! :thumb: We should probably warn you that this forum is addictive also -- but it is NEVER wasted time! So many talented and helpful people around here.