Big fish bone

Bea Killion

I know this is an odd topic, but I found this big bone in my can of Bumble Bee tuna today. It's almost 2" long. And a couple of weeks ago I found a large black clump of something in a can of dogfood. It looked like it could have been a piece of a plastic bag. I didn't want to touch it. It was really disgusting!. What happened to "Quality Control"?

Here's a pic of the bone. I was really mad about the dog food, but I really didn't know what to do. If I brought it back to the store, they probably would have just given me my money back, and it I wrote a letter to the mfg. how could I prove it was really in there? So I just threw it out. And about the bone, what if someone with small children got it and didn't notice it??

WOW! That's a big bone...my DH always finds a bone in his meat whether it be ground beef or "boneless" chicken. Poor guy has no luck. They've never been that large though. Can't believe that passed through.

If you call the 800 number on the can they will send you all kinds of coupons and of course be very apologetic. I got a ten dollar coupon from Folgers coffee awhile back because it just didn't taste like it usually does. It was sort of blah tasting. I've used Folgers for years. They told me always check the bottom of the can for dates because sometimes stores don't put the older product up front until it's really old. I'm sure with a bone like that you'd get a good responce. That's way over the line.

well, I once found a fly in my can of creamed corn :clap: it was pretty disgusting. if it were me, I would call the company right away and let them know what's going on. you can't help but wonder if *any* of our food is safe any more...

About 20 years ago, my then husband, 10 year old daughter and I went to a very popular restaurant several times a month. I won't mention the chain, but they have a country store in them and are always packed, no matter which town they're in.

This one evening, while waiting for the waitress to come take our order, I saw that there was a fly clearly visible in the ketchup bottle. I very discreetly pointed it out to the waitress, thinking it was not necessary to broadcast it to the full dining room. She got quite huffy, smarting off that people sometimes do things like that to try to get a free meal. I then pointed out to her that the bottle was still sealed by the manufacturer. She still didn't believe me, until she took it to her manager, and they popped the seal. They both came back, very apologetic, asking what they could do to make it right. I said to please just bring another bottle, and I didn't want anything else. They offered to pay for our meal, I declined, saying it wasn't their fault. They thanked me for not making a big fuss.

However, if it had been a bottle I got from a store, or any other product, I would have made sure the maker was aware of the problem. I understand that things happen, but quality control should be much more stringent when it comes to food products!

What makes me mad is when you return a product to the store and they put it back on the shelf! I buy a boutique type of coffee, that comes with a replaceable lid and an inner seal. I got a can home and realized the inner seal had been half torn off...visions of some kind of sabotage, there. Anyway, I took it back to the store and showed them what had happened, and they gave me another can.

Imagine my surprise two weeks later when I bought another can, and after taking the lid off, realized it was the same can I had returned! I did call them back and tell them what I thought about it!

This is why I won't buy canned soup. I had a shop teacher who worked at the same Campbell's cannery as other relatives of mine in North central Indiana. He told us about the "quality standard" of Campbell's Tomato soup. "2 fly eggs, 6 rodent hairs and a bacteria count of 16%. If the soup had too much of those things, they sold the batch to one of the budget brands."

I can't tell how large that bone is (it's obviously not from a fish) but it may very well be either rodent or feline.

Makes me not want to buy canned food anymore. I thought dog food factories were bad,(that's why I cook for my dogs). But I had no idea human food factories were allowed to process food with so much garbage in it. Yuck!!

I once bought a $100,000 dollar candy bar from a machine at work, took a bite and found a worm in it. I was sick. I sent the whole mess back to the company. A couple of weeks later, I got a whole bit box of the same candy bars. I gave them away and have never had one of their candy bars since.

Gee, I recently found a piece of plastic chip something or another in my toothpaste(more than once in the same tube). Crest was very nice and sent a refund but still....yuck!! I agree, what ever happened to quality control.