Fairfield Builders...Come On In!!! :)

minifan

In determination to finally finish my mom's FF, I have been diligently picking away at it...(my RGT 1/2 scale Bungalow has my current miniature attention, but it's making me want to finish the FF even more!!!)...and because there is a Beacon Hill Cafe, and not one for the FF, and I'm jealous!!!

Anyways...I got a great tip if you are upgrading your components with the HW's ones...so the GL plywood is much thinner than the HW pieces, (yeah, we all know that)...and we all know that adding siding helps to eliminate this gap...O.K., so what's my point, right? WEELLL... tonight I realized that if I put the "mullions" that are included with the windows, (there's like a TON of little strips of wood in the window packet right?, I'll call them mullions...) if you put them between the siding and the window, the trim inside looks sooo much better!!!

So if you make it a math problem...(because I'm taking math in school right now and I just finished math homework)...you glue your siding on the exterior of the house, then glue in the "mullion" strip, then lay the window into the window hole...LOOKS GREAT!!!

No, I don't have a camera to show you an image... :) And, yes, I'm taking a break from math right now, because I just made a polynomial out of my HBS order!!! (Don't ask!!!)

Where are you with your FF??? Have you come up with anything interesting???

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am so tempted to pull mine out and start to build it! But I told myself I would not touch it until the exterior of my Garfield is finished :) .

I am very close to having that done. Unfortunately, I need to do some painting and wood cutting outside (less fumes and dust) and the weather is not cooperating! :)

I have some great ideas on a bash on it, and getting really excited to start. I have been collecting components and some furnishings when I find a great buy. When I see the great things done on this forum with it, it makes me want to start all the more on it!

Matt

I used the Grandtline gothic windows as I needed a particular type of window for the look I needed. They were also too thick for the thin plywood FF walls. Luckily the majority of my window openings were in my bashed wall which was of slightly thicker MDF wood. For the bathroom window in the attic, I was able to pack out the wall with a false wall of foamcore, as it was hidden under the roof. I am going to have a bit of a problem with the daughter's bedroom where there is no concealing the protrusion. The other issue with the Grandtline windows is that they don't come with interior windowframes. I received a great tip which is to buy extra windows, cut out the middles and use them as interior frames. Unfortunately they are too expensive here in the UK so I had to make my own out of cardboard.

Good luck with the build, this is a versatile little house.

Sharon

http://fairfield-pickett-kitbash.blogspot.com/

Since I've been re-inspired to get my Fairfield done by all of you wonderful people, I will be diligently working on my house in between two classes. I have set up a work area and layed everything out. It's a mess already but I know where everything is. I decided NOT to take my house apart because of the hot glue that the instruction sheet recommended. I'm am fixing it up and sanding and picking off the pieces of glue. This house is so special to me and I am psyched to finish it. Hey I'm a psychology student who is psyched... lol. I can't wait to see uploaded pics of others fairfield's!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello!! I'm new to the community and I'm building my first house ever! I'm totally going to customize my Fairfield and I think it's a ballsy thing to do since it's my first build. I wanna post photos of what i've done so far, but since i'm a new member, i'm not authorized yet :flowers:

Hello!! I'm new to the community and I'm building my first house ever! I'm totally going to customize my Fairfield and I think it's a ballsy thing to do since it's my first build. I wanna post photos of what i've done so far, but since i'm a new member, i'm not authorized yet :)

Only 5 posts and (I believe) you will be able to post pictures... :flowers:

Please share with us...and bring any ideas you want to the table... :spoton:

• 2 months later...

My Fairfirld arrived late last week. I have not opened her box yet. It is SCREAMING at me from the garage. But I promised myself I would not open the box until some other projects are completed. But I want to play with her SOOO Bad. But now I have time to plan some stuff for her BEFORE I start work. Like color schemes. And what I want to do with her on the inside. I'm very excited!

Kim! Did you order yours from miniatures.com on the 1st too? LOL! Mine looks at me with puppy dog eyes every time I pass her! I have too much to work on on my BH before I can open her. Not to mention I want to get all the paper and floors before I start!

My Fairfirld arrived late last week. I have not opened her box yet. It is SCREAMING at me from the garage. But I promised myself I would not open the box until some other projects are completed. But I want to play with her SOOO Bad. But now I have time to plan some stuff for her BEFORE I start work. Like color schemes. And what I want to do with her on the inside. I'm very excited!

Yeah, yeah, Kimberly, I had the two FF kits sitting waiting on me for YEARS! and had all these thoughts and ideas about what I wanted to do and how I wanted them to look, and before I got both boxes opened they were telling me how they wanted to look and what I was going to do (if I wanted them to cooperate).

Megs, YES I did order it on the 1st! Figured it was the perfect time to order it! LOL Husband will kill me if I open the box and start on her right now. He already harasses me about having so many unfinished projects.

Holly, I know she will demand to be something on her own. Part of the reason I refuse to open the box right now. My Orchid screamed at me the minute I opened her box that she wanted to be a fairy house. However, she has decided she does not want me to work on her right now. She sits on my work table pouting. Guess I did something she didn't like? Curious what my FF will want to be. I got it because I want to build the Garfield or the Pierce but do not have the room to build her or store her later. So the FF was something to satisfy the desire for a tower room and still be manageable in our small house. But I'm DYING to open her! I don't know if I can WAIT months and months!! :(

• 1 month later...

I just finished my foundation (yes, i took my time and made it NICE and STRONG). Going to do the chimney today. I'm waiting on the paper to come in so I can paper as I go. Also, with electrifying... is there a special 1/2 scale plugs and stuff, or is it the standard size?

I have a question for all you 1/2" scale Fairfield builders - - - I want to replace the stair handrails with Houseworks parts and I've seen some folks do it in pictures, but I'm looking for tips. Do you purchase a bottom rail and add the posts or just attempt to glue the posts to the existing sides of the stairs? Help! I cut off two handrails and now I have to add the Houseworks parts.

Welcome! Here's a picture that might help you visualize how to do the railings. She actually replaced the whole staircase, but I imagine you could to something similar with just the posts, if you're going to use the stairs from the kit.

• 2 weeks later...

I have another problem. I would like to use the Houseworks interior doors for my Fairfield but they are not designed to be used with such thin wood. Does anyone have a tip to deal with the extra depth around the door?

Yep, glue strip wood to the trim to make up the depth. You can either glue it to the backs of the trim pieces (which is what I did on the Fairfield), or you can add it behind the built-in trim so the interior trim is flush with the wall, depending on which side you want to stick out more. (Or I guess you could do a little bit on both sides so the door's depth is more or less equal in each room.)

I don't have any pictures of my Fairfield doors handy, but on my blog here there are some close-ups that show how I dealt with this on a Houseworks door I added to the Rosedale.

The easiest stairs I ever made were the ones I put in to the attic in the rightsideout Fairfield. I traced around the stringer to make a pattern and cut them out of basswood, used craft sticks for the risers & treads and backed them with another piece of basswood. Then I clipped the points off of turned toothpicks for the balusters and dipped the ends into a puddle of E6000, then laid them onto the tread of each step with the staircase on its side and braced on two sides. When it was all dry I cut and glued on the anister rail, again using E6000. It HOLDS like no other glue I've used.