Childhood Dream come true.

Crystal75

:)

Hi, my name is Crystal. I have always had a dream of being able to have a dollhouse.

I was blessed to recieve on from a lady on FreeCycle.org here in VA.

I am so new to this, this house is still in the box.

I was never fortunate enough to be able to afford one, so this is a dream come true for me. I would like to ask if there is anyone out there that would be willing to share pointers and help in how to complete this house.

I recieved the " Garfield" It is a a beautiful house, very detailed and I just do not want to goof it up.

Thank you all for any input you can give and all the help I see that this community is willing to share.

have a wonderful day to all.

Crystal

Welcome Crystal! There is lots on info on the forum here for building, including, tips on finishing, how to wire for lights, shingling, kit bashing and so on. If you have a question, just ask! And this blog may help you with your build: More minis blog. The Garfield is a beautiful house.

Edit: wow, that was quick! Beaten to the punchline!

Welcome to the little family, Crystal!

Hi, my name is Crystal....I would like to ask if there is anyone out there that would be willing to share pointers and help in how to complete this house.

I recieved the " Garfield" It is a a beautiful house, very detailed and I just do not want to goof it up....

IMO the primary function of this forum is to answer questions and to assist. Mini of our members have built the Garfield, and you can search the galleries and blogs for pictures and PM their builders for specific info; you can use the "search" feature to try to find answers to your questions, or just come right out and ask. As for goofing it up, I have learned that mistakes in building become learning opportunities.

When you've made five posts you can open an album in the Gallery to share pictures of your build.

Welcome to the group Crystal.

What a stroke of luck to get a Garfield on Freecycle, its the most amazing house. It was my first build (to be honest its still not finished - awaiting final trims) Its huge and its challenging but if a beginner like me can do it, anyone can.

Read the instructions several times, make sure all the sheets of wood are there and intact and then start on the foundation. This needs to be put together using masking tape first so that you know which bits go where - called dry fitting. Then when you are satisfied that you understand what its supposed to look like, glue it together with carpenters wood glue (not hot glue as recommended in the instructions as this will fall apart after a few years) You can hold the pieces together with masking tape until they dry. Its important to get the foundation right although its tempting to get to the walls etc. but take your time. When the foundation is up you can dry fit the walls in place so that you get an idea of what will be accessible for decorating when its glued. The inacccessible bits need to be decorated before you assemble the walls.

But I'm getting ahead of myself here - have fun - that's the important thing and if you need any help there are loads of experienced Garfield builders on here who can advise.

Hi,Crystal and welcome to Greenleaf!! Very awesome that you managed to get a Garfield!! Very large house but very do-able. So much good advice was given already.Just go slow and pay attention to details-that's what I always ignored on my first tries.and it makes a house look kinda flat....but there are tons of info here that should help you.Good luck! Glad you joined!! :)

Hi Crystal, and welcome to the forum!

What fabulous luck getting a Garfield on Freecycle - that should have all kinds of possibilities. :)

And there are all kinds of nice people here to answer your questions and give advice.

WELCOME to the Greenleaf mini-family, Crystal – so glad you joined us! Sounds like that Garfield was meant to be yours! We love to share news, pictures, and ideas on all things miniature! :thumb:

Hi and welcome. I always had a childhood dream of having a dollhouse too but we were always moving or something. You have a great house to start with and free is really great. It's a fun hobby and you can always find answers here for any questions you have. :thumb:

Hello, and welcome to the forum!! The Garfield is beautiful house and is on my wish list of houses to build, I am currently working on the Beacon Hill and I have a Coventry Cottage and an Arthur waiting on the side lines so it will be a while before I have the chance to aquire one. You are a lucky girl to have found this one, congratulations and good luck, and have fun!!! There are a lot of very talented people on this forum, who are a wealth of information and always more than happy to help, so welcome aboard!! :thumb:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Congrats and welcome.

I too feel like I am fulfilling my childhood dream. My husband, family, and friends poke fun because I am so excited about my dollhouse build...they just don't understand. I know here everyone does lol.

I hope one day to have a little girl to share my new found passion with.....until then I will enjoy it all on my own :)

Hope to see some pictures soon