Mini on the way!

Muriel

Very true Sam, especially the lower car seat bit! Definitely seems lower than a few months ago :) Was parked beside a sporty car and noticed how far down those seats are! A pregnant woman would have serious difficulties!

We've rearranged the rooms. Baby room has furniture in it, but haven't finished decorating yet - needs a silk blue and pink layered cloth over the changing table and a new lampshade. Also thinking about putting down a rug we have. Might have to find some blackout curtains to put up too. Study is now in the hobby room, still a couple piles of things for Chris to sort, but getting there. Sitting room also has a few bits in (was the in between room while we rearranged).

Not sleeping great again with my poorly side. Got up for a walk around the flat and was quite emotional to walk past the baby room with the cot set up. Thought in a couple months or a little longer there will hopefully be a baby in it! Also then thought I won't be in pain anymore having to walk around the flat at 3 in the morning! If I do visit the baby room at that time it will most likely be in response to baby crying! :)

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...the lower car seat bit! Definitely seems lower than a few months ago :) Was parked beside a sporty car and noticed how far down those seats are! A pregnant woman would have serious difficulties!...
You just brought back memories. When I was preggers with #3 our "family car" was a 1969 Camaro; Towards D-Day I was suggesting to DH we might consider investing in a forklift...

• 2 weeks later...

Jo's comment in the "Is it just me??" thread prompted an update from me:

Baby turned around about 10 days ago - ouch my sides!

33 weeks tomorrow, that means around 5 more weeks to go :blink: Have two more days work this week, then three days next and the following, finishing on March 24th. Yay!

Had another scan on Monday, head is still about a week ahead, abdomen about 3 weeks and on the top 95th percentile line. They said if by week 38 it is over the line it will probably be caesarean, but otherwise vaginal birth induced sometime between week 38 and 40 (probably nearer to 38 if induced) could be expected so long as everything else is ok.

Hiccups regularly happen, feels very funny cause I'd have thought it would be more the rump that would be moving, and I see my tummy moving with each one, but feel it on my cervix where the head is instead :)

Still some kicks which make the whole tummy move quite a bit, and also general movements which kinda make my tummy ripple more. And of course they all make me grin!

That's great news! I'm so excited for you! You have much more patience then me I had to know before hand what I was having with both of mine. LOL Fingers crossed everything works out great for you.

Thanks for the update Muriel and I'm happy that everything is going well. You are very organised - well what did I expect - to have the room all ready for Pip. Exciting times.

Normally I love feeling Pip move around, but for the last three mornings or so I've felt sick and the moving around has just made it worse! But feel too bad saying please quieten down Pip because the rest of the time I really like it B)

I think feeling sick is connected with my Metformin medication and probably changes in hormones in preparation for giving birth, so trying to change from taking it at dinner to taking it at lunch in the hope that mornings will be better. (But tend to forget the lunch dose much more than the evening dose!)

In fact Pip says hi to everyone with a kick right now! :wave:

Don't kid yourself, Muriel...those weeks will fly by before you know it. Watch for signs of impending birth..mothers-to-be can do some crazy things a day or two before they go into labor.

I read where one woman decided she had to iron all the shoestrings in her shoes! Some women want to get down on hands and knees and scrub everything. Others start stocking foods they didn't normally like. Others rearrange closets till their fingers bleed. So watch for obsessive behavior of any kind.

I remember my Mom cooked/baked like crazy just before my sister was born,(in 1957) She made all sorts of Goodies and I was so excited!! But she must have known that my Father wouldn't have been a successful choice to take care of me so Grandma came to stay for a week to 'watch' both of us.Yuck, even made me eat vegetables.....Sigh, never forgot that!! LOL!

So far no obsessive behaviours, but thinking it is about time to use up stuff in the freezer to make space for some proper cooked meals for the first few weeks at least! Sitting room is lovely and tidy, kitchen nearly so - just need to put a few things away... we're keeping on top of it and on top of laundry too, which is quite amazing for us! :wave:

• 2 weeks later...

Well, sitting room was doing ok until Chris spread out his marking paperwork this week! Bit of a mess now. He said he'd recycle some this weekend. I confirmed that he would be clearing it all away saturday afternoon :p

Yesterday was the last day of work, and Pip knew it. Endless braxton hicks contractions all day. Usually feel maybe 2-3 during the day and some evenings. Yesterday had quite a few and started noting the times from 11 onwards. Every 10-15 minutes, so 5 an hour. Rather uncomfortable! Phoned midwife around 2:30pm as been told 4-5 an hour is ok, but cause it was 5 every hour was a little concerned. However, as there was no pain, no fluid loss (no broken waters or blood loss), still some movement from Pip and the contractions were lasting a couple minutes, she said it sounded like classic braxton hicks and not to worry as long as things stayed as they were. By the time I was driving home (3 contractions in 20 minutes) the contractions were only about 15 seconds long and over the afternoon movement had decreased a bit. Still regular movement, but only single kicks felt rather than usual few minutes of movement. This has happened before, so wasn't massively concerned, figured it probably wasn't that easy for poor Pip to move much whilst being squished by contractions!

Anyway, kept an eye on it over the evening, contractions decreased to about one an hour and movement increased a little. Had a lovely movement session around 4am when I couldn't sleep and prodded a bit :p Back to normal movement this morning and only a couple contractions so far.

Think I should probably pack my hospital bag though. Sister was shocked I hadn't packed it weeks ago :p Still need to shop for some things and was going to do that Monday, so hadn't packed other stuff yet. Have written the packing lists though just in case Chris or Mummy need to find it without me!

Having a tour of the hospital this evening, so looking forward to that. 35 weeks today! That means scheduled birth from 3 weeks today :hug: Oooh!

I'm so excited for you Muriel, it could almost be any day now so get that bag packed girl. Hope Pip arrives to schedule and doesn't keep you waiting - so annoying when the little tykes decide they're very comfortable where they are thanks.

Tour was good this evening, midwife very helpful (she has been all along at the hospital). Showed us around the various rooms/units that we'd most likely be visiting when the time comes. Also gave good information about timescale and what would happen when. Like if I'm induced then 'normal' people would arrive in the morning, but I'll arrive the night before so they can set up my sliding scale for insulin. Then induced upstairs in my own room and there until labour established, then down to the delivery suit. Down there until 1-2 hours after birth before transfer back up to the general postnatal wards for a couple days if everything goes well. Stopped by intensive care to see that too, and saw a couple very tiny babies.

Also went through breastfeeding options and expressing a couple weeks before I get to hospital. The baby is most likely producing more insulin than it really needs to combat my diabetes, so when it is born and no longer has my higher glucose blood, it is still producing more insulin and may have a hypo or two. So they say to breastfeed, but then may need a top up and would prefer if it had previously expressed breastmilk than formula. Was worried that if I'm expressing the good colostrum (the 'milk' produced at first) then when baby came to feeding the not quite so nutricious milk would have come in and wouldn't get the good colostrum if didn't need to top it up. But midwife said that the milk only comes in after placenta is delivered, so can express colostrum without the fear of baby not getting it when it first starts feeding :hug:

You sound very well-prepared, Muriel; I'm sure that everything will turn out fine. Chris and your mom will see to it. And forgetting to pack something is not the end of the world.

My first was so early that I had to call in sick to have him - nothing was ready. But he came out fine; he's 18 now and home for spring break. :hug:

Yes, get that bag packed now!

My first one came three weeks early (the day BEFORE we had our scheduled the tour of the hospital!).

Being a nurse you would think I would "know" I was in labour when my water broke, but I was arguing with the hospital on the phone, that I was not in labour as I had three weeks until my due date!

I had to quickly pack a bag and go!

Wow, little Pip is almost here.

Those braxton hicks can be exhausting! I had them for 3 solid weeks with my last. I found that laying down helped them go away. I also spent a lot of time in the bathtub relaxing. Thank goodness I'm not a modest person because so many people saw me naked those last few weeks of pregnancy. I could get in the tub but couldn't get out on my own lol

I had the pain in my ribs too! Dr said it was cartilage and tendons stretching between my ribs. Persistent pain! Nothing but birth made that go away.

Wish they'd had those fancy rooms and stuff when I was birthing. Wouldn't have done me much good though. By the time #7 was ready to make his entrance I barely had time to get to the hospital. I don't think they'd have had time to heat water for the tub!

I loved being pregnant and I'm living vicariously through you so love your updates :-)

Sounds like it will be soon. Nothing like a sweet, soft, velvety baby's head snuggled under your chin. That's the sweetest sensory experience in the whole world.

BH's are a nuisance but they do speed things up on the other end.

I had them for 6 months with one of mine !!

Congratulations, Muriel! I'm catching up with some of the topics I've missed out on. I'm glad I caught up with yours before Pip made a grand entrance - it does sound as if that will be sooner rather than later. (Both of mine arrived two weeks early - I was nowhere near as organised as you seem to be.) I hope you will continue to give us detailed updates, now and after Pip shows up. :hug:

Congrats Muriel!!

Worry not lady, all will go well! Do you remember when I had Ben, I ended up in hospital at 22 1/2 weeks...with just a stick of deoderant and a spare T shirt as it was to be a "quick visit". well that lasted four months and I can tell you that you CAN survive on what is at the hospital and that all that matters is that little one and even if something is not quite done, fear not it will all come together. Ben was the proof for that...now three, he shows no signs of being worse for wear :hug:

For the BH contractions...make sure that you have a huge drink of water..tote a water bottle with you..it will go a long ways to helping. The hypos are typical in the newbies of diabetic moms. Sounds like you are well controlled but do not be surprised if they want to keep Pip in the NICU for a atleast a few hours if not a day or two.

Here is to easy labour if you are going for a trial or a smooth c section if that is your option!!

WooHoo Muriel!

Chelsea was four days early. Natalie was 2 weeks early. Good Luck! I was induced with Natalie. They did NOT give me an epidural. They said it was because of the gestational diabetes. Let us hope they give you a block or some pain relief.

Maybe you will be like one of those women on tv that says they didnt even know they were preggers till the baby came out..no pain at all! That would be awesome huh?

No labour pain would be a lovely way to make up for pain during pregnancy :wub: Side still hurting months later. It isn't around my ribs, more behind my pelvic bone on my right side. Has always been that side, no matter how I lie. Now it is when I'm sitting too sometimes, though generally on my back has been ok (though can't do that for more than a few minutes as other things start hurting then :hug: ) Now has started hurting when I'm in the bath too, which I particularly resent! Well only a few more weeks and hopefully having more room inside me again will reset things back to nearly normal again.

Yup, I remember the endless time you had to spend in hospital Michelle, and so very glad I haven't had to go through anything remotely similar. My sister went into hospital around 35 weeks with pre-eclampsia (baby born 36+6 days), so keeping an eye on my blood pressure.

Got some lovely presents at my baby leaving do last night, very generous work colleagues! Some cute all in one suits, blankets and soft toys, as well as some pampering stuff for me for the next few weeks. Now making a list of what we still need to buy for the first few weeks. I'll do that buying tomorrow after they look at my eyes bright and early. (Appointment is in Bristol town centre at 8:30. Not impressed!! It is a system where it is a bunch of people have 8:30 as appointment time and then it is first come first serve as to when you're seen. So gotta be there earlier or I'll be waiting hours. But takes at least 1.5 hours to get there during rush hour, and then parking is impossible, so have to park further away and walk down. So I'll be up very early Monday for that appointment! So much for feet up and lie ins :p )

Thanks for all the comments from everyone :p I am enjoying sharing with you, and it is nice to get the comments in return to show I'm not just talking to myself :p

I was very lucky with #3, I had done a lot of reading after #2 (the first-born, since #1's adopted: he's racially different from us is how I can keep that straight!) and so knew to walk through the early contractions, squat when they got strong (terrified the nurses not checking me) and had learned some of the Lamaze breathing (so I sounded as though I was having a fit; it wasn't a pretty sight, but it wasn't painful, either).