Mini on the way!

Muriel

Hope everyone's home by now! But little,yellow babies are not so unusual.My niece sure was..my sister used to keep her on the back of their couch in the sun.Sure looked wierd but it worked!!Positive energy sent for all!!<3

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, most babies are a bit jaundice, early babies more so (and although massive and considered 'term' she was only 38 weeks) and babies with bruising even more so - they've got more extra red blood cells to break down. She's got some forcepts bruising on her chubby cheeks.

Very early morning blood test was about the same level as day before, but extra allowance for extra day means it was ok, and also ok cause level not going up anymore. So we got to come yesterday afternoon! Yay! Catching up on things slowly now and will post pics in a few hours after sleep and midwife home visit. Hugs to all!

Wonderful news you are home. My youngest was very jaundiced (he was a month early and oh so tiny that preemie diapers were a tad bit to big we had major problems being pregnant)) but you should see him now. Anyways now you are home and can really enjoy bonding. Can't wait for pictures but only when you are rested up

My Labour and Delivery Story: (lots of details, so don't feel you need to read or comment about them!)

Well got to hospital on Saturday just before 11. They put the induction pessary in and when I was examined then, the midwife was very impressed that my cervix was already 2cm dilated before even having the pessary in! Gave me hope that things might progress nicely. By 4pm I was having very regular contractions every 2-3 minutes, but they weren't too bad and only lasted 20-30 seconds. Midwife asked where on a scale of 1-10 the pain was. What a silly question, I've got nothing to compare it to! In terms of what I had before 4pm, the pain was considerably more, but compared to what was to come, it was probably nothing! :p I'll be able to tell her next time it was 0.5 in comparisson to what was to come :p

We went to bed around 10, and I lay and counted seconds between contractions and how long they lasted. Chris managed to fall asleep on the reclining chair. At midnight I got up, went to the toilet, came back to measure my sugar levels and whooooosh my waters broke. Sent Chris off to find the midwife and two of them cleaned me up and took me back to the bed. They asked did I have a pad to put in. Well yes, but it won't do anything with all this fluid! so lay on the bed with a pad (no good) and absorbent sheet. Every contraction I had was harder then and lots more fluid came out :p By 1:30 or so they'd contacted the delivery suite thinking I'd go down in a few hours, but I was ready for gas and air now :p They examined my cervix again and I was rather disappointed that it was only 3-4 cm dilated! Anyway, Chris phoned Mummy to make her way in and we went down. Did ok with gas for a bit, and they kept praising my breathing, but it hurt! So had some pethidine probably around 4 am, which was fine between contractions, but didn't do much for that pain :p Epidural followed. When you say you want an epidural and they say ok, it'll be about 20 mins to set up and then 20 mins to get going, that isn't what I want to hear, I want pain relief now!! Once that was going everything was so much better. I could smile! They examined me at 7 and 11am, still slow progress, but definitely progress and by 2:30 decided that baby had moved around enough for me to push for a bit. Doctor examined me an hour later and said pushing was good, but that I'd need to go to theatre. We'd try forcepts delivery, but she wanted everyone there and ready in case we had to change to a c section or there were complications. So down the hall they wheeled me. Once we were ready to go I only had to push around 3 contractions before Chris could see the head. Then it was busy time, and soon came 'can you bleep 2222 Obstetric emergency'. I heard it, but not sure if Chris did, and they repeated it. Mummy said that was the scary bit, being in the delivery room waiting rather than in theatre and having 4-5 nurses running down the hallway to the theatre! I was extremely grateful when they cancelled the call what felt like a couple minutes later. Baby went straight to the pediatrician to be checked over and I could hear the crying so was feeling better. They were still busy down by my nether regions, but eventually told me they'd done a little cut to help baby out and were stitching it up, but placenta etc had all been delivered fine. After being looked over we were told it was a little girl and Chris got to hold her while they finished with me.

They said that the scan had underestimated the size of the baby and in future they would most strongly recommend a c section because the time between head and shoulder delivery was considerably longer than they wanted.

So a long and ultimately eventful labour and delivery, but everyone doing very well at the end of it. The stitches hurt of course, but what was worse for the first 3-4 days is that I'd been lying on my bum for so long (around 28 hours including pethidine labour and recovery after delivery) that my bum was so sore! Still is :p Gotta keep changing positions. I know c sections have their own major risks, but I'm looking forward to not having to do that all again in future.

When I was up on the recovery ward I had a 4 bed room to myself for the first night which was really nice. Then next day a couple others joined me. One was a tiny little boy about 1/3 the size of Natasha. Most of the babies on the ward are small cause they're early, so asked how many weeks he was and he was actually overdue! But so very tiny. Amazing the differences in baby sizes.

Just uploading photos now!

:welcome: home! Tell us, with such a wonderful string of names, what will little Pip be called by Mum and Dad and everyone else who adores her?

She's known as Natasha and Pip. By us it tends to be Natasha at the moment while we're getting used to it, but I expect Pip to be a regular name too, especially to those that knew her as Pip before she came out :)

So,so,so exciting...saw all the pictures in your Gallery Album.Beautiful,tender and touching

every single one.Congratulations to you and Chris.And we all welcome the new little family!!

:congrats:

Muriel, get used to the #9 look.....that look will cover a number of moods varying on age....I still get that look from both of my children now adults....Natasha looks very alert for only being a few hours old.....Take it easy and don't overdo anything.....Give my congrats to Chris and all the rest of Pip's relatives.....