Mini on the way!

Muriel

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Put more pictures in the album:)

She was weighed again today, 11 pounds 9 ounces now, well done her! She's 7.5 weeks old. The two months have flown by :) Still enjoying it immensely though. She spends time awake just watching the world and has started smiling and gurgling. She particularly enjoys lying on the changing table just waving her arms and kicking her legs.

• 3 weeks later...

She's already 10 weeks old, 2.5 months :)

It is fun watching her develop and get used to the world around us. More gurgling and also watching specific things - like she'll follow you around the room. And she has wonderful facial expressions! A great smile, but also when she's about to cry she sticks her little bottom lip out and it is so cute. If we grin at her she'll smile back and hopefully won't be too long before she laughs too.

Had her first encounter with a doggy last week - she wasn't impressed. She was in her car seat at one end of the sofa and the dogs were held at the other end. She took one look at them and howled! But she did get used to them quick enough after the shock and fell asleep despite their occasional bark and attempts to lick her feet (I was the guard between them and her and wouldn't let them near!) She's rather uninterested in the guinea pigs, very occasionally watches them, but generally ignors them. I suspect she'll get more into them as she gets older!

She's thinking about turning over. She can get from back to side, and yesterday managed front to back, but think it was probably a bit of a fluke. We've just joined a baby signing group. It is supposed to enable babies to communicate better before they can speak. I've always wanted to learn more sign language anyway (I can do the alphabet in one version, so can spell out words, but it is slow :p )

There's more pictures in her album including a couple especially cute ones I think :p

The more pictures you post, the cuter she gets! I think she looks just like her mum! A friend of mine is taking her son to a sign-language class. He is older than Natasha(8 months I think) but has already learned some signs. They started with him before formal classes or anything because his aunt and grandma are deaf or nearly so. Another friend's son did great but hit a block with one sign. It took him a few weeks to move on from only wanting to sign "cookie" lol

Oh Muriel, she 's precious! It sounds like you're having such a great time with her too.

That's interesting about the signing class. Let us know how that goes. Sign language is neat to me.

Lawson started learning sign language when he was 13, in a group with his school that uses sign language to perform music as a ministry. He just completed his 2nd year, and it's pretty amazing. It's been fun to learn some with him too. I went into a classroom a few weeks ago with some hearing impaired children, and I could communicate with them a little. They got a kick out of that. :) Lawson has learned a lot, and I'm so proud of him, it really is a neat skill. Plus, he can now "talk" with his mouth full, not that anyone can understand him...

A friend of mine's grandson learned sign language when he was 4 or 5, as a way to help learn his spelling words. She said it worked great. I wish I had known about that when Lawson was younger, he really struggled with spelling.

I think the sign language class is spot on. Several years ago I visited a family with a deaf mother, child of about 9-10 months -- not walking yet. The grandparents and mother sign regularly. The child picked it up without formal lessons. I watched her sign that she was thirsty, wanted juice, not water, and wanted Grandpa to get it for her, not Grandma or Mom. I was amazed! Just think how frustrated young children must be not to be able to express their thoughts simply because their vocal chords aren't organized enough to speak words.

Some Facts and Figures re baby signing: (from study by Linda Acredolo and Susan Goodwyn but study not researched by me!)

At 24 months signing babies were found to talk on average more like a 27-28 month old, and by 36 months more like a 47 month old, so nearly a year ahead of average non-signing babies.

I think it is a great idea, because babies can point and communicate with jestures before speaking, and by learning specific signs they'll be able to communicate more easily (ie we'll understand them earlier!)

They haven't taught us cookie yet, but looking forward to it! I'm sure if it was me at that age, I'd get stuck on cookie too ;)

Fantastic idea!! Makes sense to me.And by-the-way.....How about that sweet baby??? What a cutie!!!A beauty from the moment she was born.And so big already.Boy, they sure don't stay babies long.Don't miss a minute!! And thanks so much for sharing pictures..we love her!!! :wave:

• 3 weeks later...

Muriel, don't be too sure about that rolling/ turning. Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth and we were all putting babies to sleep on their tums DS#2 was about Natasha's age when we had installed a gadget called a Peek-a-View on the side of his crib and would stand and pull a cord with a ring at one end to make cartoonish pictures light up and change. One night when he was 2 1/2 months old I woke up hearing a "sproing" sound and faint giggles, over and over. I woke up DH and we tiptoed to the nursery door and that little rascal was lying on his back with one heel tucked into that plastic ring, pulling the cord down and giggling when the pictures changed.

Hehehe :D That made me laugh Holly! Can just picture him and as well as the giggles probably the proud look on all your faces.

She's turning over well now. She sometimes needs a minute to remember how to do it, but then away she goes. We've got an activity mat - where little things dangle above her - and she's finding that entertaining. Every time she uses it I can see progress. First just looking at the bits and randomly accidentally batting them. Then trying to bat, trying to grab, and now holding onto one with both hands, or repeatedly knocking it to swing it. Will have to get a picture!